The Colour of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1) The Colour of Magic discussion

Discworld Reading Order

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Celise I'd decided to start the Discworld novels with The Colour of Magic and read based on the series numbers. I know most people don't follow this. I'm curious to know what other people are doing, and why they've decided to read in a particular order. I've only read the first five so far and am wondering what to do going forward from here. Should I start skipping around or stick to the numbers?

Shannon stick to the numbers it makes more sense I am up to sorcery and I am sticking to the numbers shan

Nathan Eaton I read them in published order, because why not? But, Discworld is really more like a bunch of smaller series within the whole. If there's a certain character-set you really like, you should just be able to go read through them without missing anything important. There's a good chart for that, you can find on the author page or in the following link:

https://d.gr-assets.com/photos/131987...

message 4: by David (last edited May 05, 2015 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

David The series within a series assessments a good way to consider the order to read them. That charts superb. Although I discovered STP quite late, started with Thief Of Time and skipped about, it never really affected my pleasure or appreciation. Some of the industrials like Moving Pictures and The Truth work well as stand alone's if you want to step out of the chronology of a longer series and explore a slightly different theme.

Cally Now you have started in order, I would stay in order, but I would normally never recommend starting with The Colour of Magic and following that up with The Light Fantastic! You are in for a treat though - I wish I had the opportunity to read the Discworld for the first time again.

Celise Nathan, I've seen that chart, it's actually what made me question all of this.

Cally, is it because of the discontinuity between the ending of The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic? They both follow Rincewind so it seemed logical to me to read them back to back.

message 7: by Cally (last edited May 14, 2015 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cally Hi Celise.

Compared to his later books, those two are really poor and definitely not the best advertisement for what is a stunning series. It doesn't help that I don't like Rincewind. I read Mort first myself, but suggested that my boyfriend started with Guards! Guards! The fact that you don't have to read them in order and can just dive in really helps.

Wyrd Sisters, the 6th book, is really good. Of course, you will already have met Granny Weatherwax in Equal Rites, and she is one of the big characters.

My personal favourite is Sam Vimes, but you have a little way to go before you meet him. Enjoy getting to know him :)

Shannon I started with the colour of magic and followed up with the light fantastic there is nothing wrong with starting in order it definetly makes more sense to do it that way I rather like reading books in sequence I am up to sourcery in the discworld series and I love reading books in number order

Gabriel McWethy I read them in publication order, because that's how the author intended them to be read.

Nerva Maximus I read them all hodge podge and it was great. Really enjoyed them all, had fun, no stress....

message 11: by Jingizu (last edited Mar 24, 2017 04:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jingizu I read the whole Discworld series in number (publication) order, from Colour of Magic onwards. I preferred it that way.

Now when I reread Discworld, I choose at random. But to start, I would recommend that you read them in number (publication) order.

message 12: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Burn Just read in publication order, can't go wrong that way.

message 13: by Hana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hana I read the first three books in order and would recommend that to anybody starting out. Other than that, I read whatever I could get my hands on at the time, so I didn't necessarily read in order, and I don't feel like it affected my enjoyment of the series.

I agree, you can't go wrong reading in publication order, but don't delay reading the books just so you can get them in the "right" order.

Andreas I am reading in publication order. There is really rhyme or reason behind just something to do. Onward to book number 5. Long way to go but looking forward to it. Terry Pratchett is in a word - Brilliant!

Edmund Batara Nathan wrote: "I read them in published order, because why not? But, Discworld is really more like a bunch of smaller series within the whole. If there's a certain character-set you really like, you should just b..."

Thanks for the chart link.

Actually, I'd go with your idea. My only complaint about the Discworld series is that there's not many books that focus on Mr. Wizzard. Though he was instrumental in the introductory books.

Tabitha Hergest I started with Guards! Guards! Not exactly the beginning, but hey, I don't think any Star Wars fans have been affected too badly by the scattergun chronology.

Kenneth Martens Small disclaimer; I am a Pratchett fan, but I (unfortunately) haven't read all of his books!

As far as I know, it doesn't matter in what order you read them as they are novels which can be enjoyed individually. If you want to be some sort of connoisseur of Terry Pratchett's world, I think it is best to read them in publication order or in order of the subseries – which is the order I tried to follow.

You can find a graph suggesting order online. I believe there are even Android apps if you want to go completely mad with keeping track of your progress!

Good luck reading these lovely books full of wit and humour!

message 18: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric I agree you can’t go wrong reading them in publication order. However, you might find threads that appeal more and want to pursue. For example, Rincewind is equally loved and hated. The wizards are my least favourite. I think the witches are pretty universally loved. I love the Lancre books. In the watch, the odd one disappoints, but if you mention it somewhere somebody will claim the book as their favourite. Its huge, highly readable and mostly enjoyable. It is a superbly crafted, if crazy world.