Weird Westerns discussion

Group Reads > May-June 2015 Group Read - Werewolves

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) | 604 comments Mod
Alrighty, everyone. Werewolves won the poll, so it's time to howl. Here are some suggested reads:

Dead Iron
High Moon Vol. 1
Walking Wolf: A Weird Western, which can also be found in Dead Man's Hand: Five Tales of the Weird West
And finally, from our own Quentin Wallace, Brackett Hollister: The Werewolf Pack.

There are other books out there aas well, and if you find ssomething else, share it, and double check to see if it's on the group bookshelf. Have fun!

message 2: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Hi everyone! I'm honored to be included in the theme for this month, and just wanted to let everyone know Brackett Hollister The Werewolf Pack will be FREE to download Tomorrow, Tuesday May 5th, at Amazon. (It's also available anytime on Kindle Unlimited)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L...

Thanks again!

message 3: by Ashe (new)

Sounds good, dude!

For comic lovers, I highly recommend High Moon. It seems the guys behind it are finally starting it back up soon too, so we'll finally get the rest of the story!

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 309 comments I should probably read Quentin's book since he read all three of mine within the last 2 months lol.

message 5: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Justin wrote: "I should probably read Quentin's book since he read all three of mine within the last 2 months lol."

...and left honest, insightful reviews! Don't forget the insightful reviews!lol

message 6: by Ashe (new)

Whatever you guys read, don't forget to share your thoughts. I might have to dig out Dead Man's Hand again and read through "Walking Wolf." That was a pretty fun story, and about a skinwalker to boot.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 309 comments Quentin wrote: "Justin wrote: "I should probably read Quentin's book since he read all three of mine within the last 2 months lol."

...and left honest, insightful reviews! Don't forget the insightful reviews!lol"

Yes and thank you!

message 8: by Ashe (new)

Anyone got any reading comments to share?

message 9: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Can anyone recommend a good Weird Western in ebook form that has werewolves? I was going to read one of the books for the discussion but the ones mentioned were only in paperback. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I need to look in to High Moon again. Started it long ago but lost track of it.

message 11: by Ashe (last edited May 12, 2015 06:12PM) (new)

Quentin, Dead Iron has a kindle option. http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Iron-Steam...

Philip, I got really excited late last year when the official High Moon twitter account replied to me about working on the book again.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashe wrote: "Quentin, Dead Iron has a kindle option. http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Iron-Steam...

Philip, I got really excited late last yea..."

Ah yes, this Twitter thing. I really should do something with it.

message 13: by Ashe (new)

I mean, there's always just flapping your gums into the void. Works for me.

message 14: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) | 106 comments I'm through Dead Iron (awesomely werewolfy -- review to follow) and the sequel, Tin Swift (less werewolf, more awesome), but I'm having to loop back around to read Hang Fire - A Short Story, which is basically book 1.5. It's also only available as an ebook, so I'm having to patiently assemble it from scraps and print it out.

Entirely worth it.

I suspect book 3 in the series, Cold Copper is super-wwy, but if I actually read it then I've read all the books in the series. Which... grah.

message 15: by Ashe (new)

Always a sad day when you finish a series you're enjoying.

message 16: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) | 106 comments Also, another option for weird west werewolves is Cherie Priest's Dreadful Skin

message 17: by Quentin (last edited May 12, 2015 09:09PM) (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Ah, thanks Oddmonster, I'll probably give that one a try!

message 18: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) | 106 comments Quentin wrote: "Ah, thanks Oddmonster, I'll probably give that one a try!"

Excellent! I'm going to try to finish it myself for this may-June period

message 19: by Ashe (new)

I'll add that one to my list as well!

message 20: by John (new)

John | 135 comments Hmmm... Apparently, I need to toss in some werewolf action in Ghost Marshal II.

message 21: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments "Werewolf Action" For some reason, that sounds dirty lol

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

"Hot Werewolf Action: the Lycanthropes of Ecuador".

message 23: by John (new)

John | 135 comments Ghost Marshal isn't THAT kind of book! Although it would probably sell more copies.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I've seen the sales figures on THOSE kinds of books. No wonder so many people write them.

message 25: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments "Brackett Hollister: The Werewolf Orgy"

...I dunno.

message 26: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) | 106 comments While there are perilous few of THOSE type of Weird Westerns, luckily the one that is features werewolves. So, I guess we should add it to this month's reading list?

message 27: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments LOL Oddmonster. It always amazes me how regardless of what joke we make, there always REALLY is a book like the one we're making up!

message 28: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) | 106 comments So it's on your reading list, then? I'd just like to make sure we've got all the werewolf selections covered. I'm on Dead Iron, we've got a couple folks on Dreadful Skin, Justin's got Brackett Hollister: The Werewolf Pack. Someone needs to tackle the remaining pile of werewolves.

So to speak.

message 29: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Err, no, not on my reading list lol. I am going to read Dreadful Skin though, maybe start next week.

message 30: by Ashe (new)

Well, that was a slight surprise.

message 31: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) | 106 comments So, if people are looking for more werewolves, there is also Wilder's Mate, a weird Western with werewolves called "bloodhounds", who are basically dudes who can summon a wolf's violence at will (commence festive throat-ribboning), and who go cuckoo for ladyparts each new moon. It also has vampires (the Kindred kind, all black velvet, no sparkles), ghouls, a smidgen of steampunk and empowerment of sex workers.

It's free on Amazon.

message 32: by Ashe (new)

Well that's an interesting combo.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I may check that out just for the novelty of it.

message 34: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) | 106 comments Philip wrote: "I may check that out just for the novelty of it."

I would be interested to hear other views of it. I wrote up my own views here.

message 35: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Hey everyone, Im going to start Dreadful Skin within the next week if anyone else wants to read that one.

message 36: by Ashe (new)

I'm gonna read yours soon, Quentin. Bout ready to dive back into some reads.

message 37: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Nice, Ashe! I'm getting pretty stoked about Demon in the Desert now too.

message 38: by Ashe (new)

Thanks, bud!

Anyone else got any other werewolf westerns they've stumbled across? Or thoughts about ones you've already read maybe?

message 39: by Quentin (last edited Jun 01, 2015 10:10AM) (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments OK everyone I'm starting Dreadful Skin today if anyone else wanted to join in. I'll post my thoughts as I go.

Dreadful Skin by Cherie Priest

message 40: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) | 106 comments Looking forward to this. I'm maybe 70 pages in, and tbh, I think I might be done with this book.

message 41: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Oddmonster wrote: "Looking forward to this. I'm maybe 70 pages in, and tbh, I think I might be done with this book."

You don't like it? I haven't actually started yet.

message 42: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) | 106 comments Quentin wrote: "You don't like it? I haven't actually started yet."

There are some style choices that are affecting how well I'm able to get into the story. But seeing as how you haven't started it yet, I'm happy to pipe down and not spoil things.

message 43: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Oddmonster wrote: "Quentin wrote: "You don't like it? I haven't actually started yet."

There are some style choices that are affecting how well I'm able to get into the story. But seeing as how you haven't started i..."

Hm, now I'm curious. I'll let you know what I think once I get into it.

message 44: by Ashe (new)

I think I'll start on Brackett Hollister tonight.

message 45: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Ashe wrote: "I think I'll start on Brackett Hollister tonight."

Someone told me that was good, but you know how people are.

message 46: by Ashe (new)

Lying liars the whole lot of them.

message 47: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments So I'm almost halfway through Dreadful Skin Dreadful Skin by Cherie Priest

So far it's decent, but I feel like part of the story is missing in a way. Maybe it will clear up as the story moves along. It's not a bad read though, a werewolf on a riverboat is an interesting concept.

message 48: by Ashe (new)

I'm a few chapters into Brackett Hollister: The Werewolf Pack and it's interesting so far. I like Chula.

message 49: by Ashe (new)

So, Brackett Hollister: The Werewolf Pack.

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments I couldn't have said it better myself Ashe, glad you're digging it lol.

« previous 1