Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > Please name them! Rewrites - Same book, different versions

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JennyG (last edited May 04, 2015 04:48AM) (new)

JennyG | 171 comments There are many older romances being reissued in e-book format these days. I would like to know which books are being published in their original form and which books have been revised by the author and what revisions have been made.

Also books that have been rewritten before the onset of e-books would apply.

Books like:

The Lover by Nicole Jordan - in the original version the hero cheats and in the later version he is about to cheat. I read somewhere that the author never intended for the hero to cheat but was pressured by the publisher to make him cheat.

Escape Not My Love by Ellaine Coffman - later version is more PC. I read somewhere that the hero is more alpha in the original version. Unfortunately for me I have the later version.

Lisa Kleypas rewrote Only in Your Arms and published it under a different title When Strangers Marry. I don't know what changes she has made. Maybe someone else can let us know.

I read somewhere that Chandra by Catherine Coulter was rewritten and published under a different title Warrior's Song- the hero cheats in the first version and in the second one it is only implied in order to stir trouble.

Claudy Conn AKA Claudette Williams has reissued some of her books on Kindle. - I read somewhere that more detailed sex scenes were added. Please let us know if there have been more changes.

I hope you can add more books to this list.

Thank you very much in advance.

message 2: by Mary23nm (new)

Mary23nm | 5 comments Wasn't Whitney My Love tweaked? Never my favorite, maybe someone else knows.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments I think Whitney my love has been tweaked for later editions.

message 4: by Be (new)

Be I believe The Rake and the Reformer (Davenport, #2) by Mary Jo Putney has been rewritten to become simply "The Rake" by Mary Jo Putney (very good book).

message 6: by Mermarie (new)

Mermarie | 956 comments Mod
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Started the same topic a while back. XD

message 7: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 171 comments Oh, I am so sorry. I tried looking for the similar subject but couldn't find it when I used the search engine. I must have used the wrong search words.

Is there any way we can merge the two topics?

message 8: by JennyG (last edited May 05, 2015 12:33PM) (new)

JennyG | 171 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) wrote: "I think Whitney my love has been tweaked for later editions."

How could I have forgotten Whitney, My Love?!

I haven't read the first version, but as far as I know the second version is longer. I believe the epilogue was added. I think I read somewhere that JM changed one of the (spanking?) scenes in the middle of the book.

Someone who has read both versions can maybe tell us more.

message 9: by Mermarie (last edited May 05, 2015 11:53AM) (new)

Mermarie | 956 comments Mod
It's funny how we all had the same idea. XD I was basically adding only BRs. It's for my own record-keeping, but you're free to take that list and add onto them, and other non-BRs/HRs, etc.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 240 comments JennyG wrote: "There are many older romances being reissued in e-book format these days. I would like to know which books are being published in their original form and which books have been revised by the author..."

About Escape Not My Love: This is the original 1990 version: Escape Not My Love by Elaine Coffman .

This is the re-edited/re-issue version: Escape Not My Love by Elaine Coffman .

It was published only seven years after the original. I picked it up and read the author's profuse apologies about how times had changed and she just wanted to her readers to know she was sorry about how cruel she had made the hero and softened him up for the new era. I gave a snort of disgust & quickly put the book back down.

There is an e-version of the book, and I don't know it's the original or re-edited version. So for you lovers of cruel heroes, I'd advise getting the original '90 paperback. And it's really not that hardcore compared to the older rippers; the heroine is a virgin and the hero is her only lover. (view spoiler) It's an old skool romance, and there was no need to soften it up.

message 11: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 171 comments Love reading about cruel hero. Now, I'll HAVE TO get the older version!

Thank you for clarifying that Wendy.

P.S. It was probably from your review I got that info from long time ago.

message 12: by Wendy, Lady Evelyn Quince (last edited May 06, 2015 11:46AM) (new)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 240 comments JennyG wrote: "Love reading about cruel hero. Now, I'll HAVE TO get the older version!

If you do, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It was a blast! Sensual and romantic, funny, at times, and, yes, bodice-rippy. Although the ending right before the epilogue made me tear up. You'll see why. :)

message 13: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 171 comments JadedlilFecker wrote: "It's funny how we all had the same idea. XD I was basically adding only BRs. It's for my own record-keeping, but you're free to take that list and add onto them, and other non-BRs/HRs, etc."

Thank you, I'll do that. :)