The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Biweekly Memes > Bridging First And Last Lines

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (last edited Jun 20, 2015 11:11PM) (new)

Kristel (fanarchist) | 489 comments Hello all! I'm tasked with presenting the (slightly late) biweekly meme for the first half of May. Thank you for enduring me. Our newest theme is: Bridging First And Last Lines

The first and the last sentences of a novel have power. The opening line invites you into a new reality, an incantation that puts you squarely in the novel's world. The closing line, on the other hand, has the capacity to haunt you days after you thought you've left that novel behind.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is this:

1. Get the first and last sentence of one novel. Arrange them with the first sentence first, last sentence next.
2. Write new lines that you can insert between the sentences in order to create something new.
3. You can only insert 1-3 new sentences or lines.
4. The resulting product can be either a verse or flash fiction. It doesn't have to be related to the source novel.

To give you an example I am going to choose the book Fahrenheit 45 by Ray Bradbury

(view spoiler)

Submit as many entries as you want. The winner will get a sticker for their TFG passport plus a special prize.

Let me know if you have questions!

message 2: by Angus (last edited May 03, 2015 11:48PM) (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins.
(view spoiler)
And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Lolita.

-The temerity! Forgive me, Nabokov. And this seems more like a summary in free verse. Will try some more later.

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (fanarchist) | 489 comments Angus: Ganyan ang writer na may ambisyon, taking on Nabokov! ;D Ahlavet.

message 4: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments The Summer Without Men by Siri Hustvedt

First: Sometime after he said the word Pause, I went mad and landed in the hospital.
(view spoiler)
Last: "You get it," I said. "Let him come to me."

Filler story in spoiler tag. And I want to create a meme from yesterday's fight ahahahahaha

message 5: by Meliza (last edited May 06, 2015 07:37PM) (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

May in Ayemenem is a hot, brooding month.
(view spoiler)
Tomorrow.

LOL

message 6: by Ingrid (last edited May 06, 2015 08:43PM) (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of
unrequited love.
(view spoiler)
"Forever", he said.

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

These are the first and last sentences of my most recent favorite read, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel:

FIRST LINE: The king stood in a pool of blue light, unmoored.

LAST LINE: He likes the thought of ships moving over the water, toward another world just out of sight.

Bridging the first and last lines:
(view spoiler)

It must be mentioned that the "king" in the first line and the "he" in the last are completely different persons in the book. :)

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Feed by Mira Grant

Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.
(view spoiler)
We stepped inside.

Medyo bitin yung last line ng book when it's taken out of context. :))

message 9: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Ang patok ng ke Meliza ahahahahah nakakaloka~~~

message 10: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Maria Ella wrote: "Ang patok ng ke Meliza ahahahahah nakakaloka~~~"

Hahaha! Wag mo nga ako i-troll.

message 11: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (fanarchist) | 489 comments Thanks to everyone who've submitted so far. I just wanted to remind you that you can submit more than once, and that this meme will end of Friday the 15th.

I'm halfway finished with one of the prizes, though kailangan ko pang bumili ng stuffing. Don't miss out on this oppportunity to own the only crafty thing I'll ever make in my life!

message 12: by Tin (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Marie (new)

Marie | 295 comments A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.

(view spoiler)

After a while I went out and left the hospital and walked back to the hotel in the rain.

Grabe, ang gloomy ko naman. :-P

message 14: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Angelfall by Susan Ee

Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.
(view spoiler)
And for now, that is enough.

message 15: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (fanarchist) | 489 comments Hellew! Yesterday I awarded the prize for this meme to Marie, for here bridge of Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. Congrats!

But I didn't keep track of the people who participated. I still owe you stamps! Please give me your passports the next time we meet.

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie | 295 comments Yay, I won! Thank you so much for the book, Kristel! :-D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.