Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train > What was YOUR Guess?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
This book was written in such a way that almost all of the characters could have been suspected of the murder for one reason or another.

Did you like this quality in the book? Did you have any strong opinions about who murdered Megan as you were reading?

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I thought this was what made the book a fun read. It reminded me of Agatha Christie. I have to admit that I really had no clue who committed the murder. I thought for sure it would end up being a minor character (like the guy on the train with the red hair or that friend of Megan's that covered for her when she was messing around.). I actually did wonder at one point if it could be Rachel.

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I never suspected Scott and did think it was Tom. Can't remember now when I thought that.
Off topic here....what did anyone else think about the clothes beside the train tracks Rachel kept referring to--remember the blue shirt? Did Tom rape someone? Were they the babysitters clothes? What were we to think. Why did the author mention them and never disclose whose they were.

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Karen wrote: "I never suspected Scott and did think it was Tom. Can't remember now when I thought that.
Off topic here....what did anyone else think about the clothes beside the train tracks Rachel kept referrin..."

Good point. I suppose it was just another distraction for the reader. I can't really remember the details around those clothes. Just that they were mentioned a few times.

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I guess you're right, another distraction. I guess in mysteries we can't have all the details come together, it would be too tidy.

Kathryn (kdrury) | 112 comments Yes, I think Agatha Christie has been crtiqued for that issue. Leaving out essential details that would help the reader solve the crime. But isn't that what 'mysteries' are all about and why we read them. There is a mystery involved - we don't know everything. We depend on the author to tease out the information that could help us come up with a solution. If all of the facts were neatly laid out it wouldn't be much of a mystery and we would stop reading.