Genre Readers looking to expand discussion

Archives_Challenges > Summer Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited May 02, 2015 05:28PM) (new)

Melissa | 1202 comments Mod
Where I am at Summer is going to be kicking off soon so I am putting out a summer reading challenge now. This will be open from now to Sept 23 (the official beginning of Autumn)

* Read a book with characters celebrating the summer solstice.
* Read a book with a bonfire on the cover.
* Read a book involving fishing or fisherman.
* Read a Gardening book.
* Read a book with a tent/camp out on the cover.
* Read a book with songbirds on the cover.
* Read a book with someone walking barefoot in the grass on the cover.
* Read a book with a character who watches the stars or goes in space.
* Read a book with sun catchers on the cover.
* May is named after Maia the fertility goddess, read a book involving becoming pregnant, or being pregnant or about Maia.
* Labor Day- read a book about unions.
* Mothers Day- read a book about Mothers
* Fathers Day- read a book about Fathers
* Memorial Day- read a book about soldiers.
* June is named after Goddess Juno the goddess of marriage. Read a book about Juno or focusing on Marriage.
* World Environment book, read a book about environmental issues
* children's Day- read a book with kids on the cover or kids are the main characters
* Gay Pride- Read a book involving GLTB focus
* July named after Julius Caeser, read a book involving Julius Caeser.
* Independence Day- read a book about any country or person gaining independence
* International Joke Day- Read funny book
* Read a book with Ice cream on the cover
* Read a book with a picnic on the cover
* Read a book with people swimming or bathing suit on the cover.
* September is named because it was originally the seventh month, read a book with seven in the title.
* Read a book involving going on vacation
* Read a book that takes place at the beach, or lake

Pick as many as you want to read.

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I am definitely going to do this reading challenge.
So we can start this challenge, right? I just want to make sure since I was about to start a book that would work for this.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Yes you can.

message 4: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Melissa, you are killing me! Okay, I'm going to give this a go. Pretty sure I will not get half of these read, but you never know. Can we just keep track of it here?

message 5: by Lea Ann (last edited Sep 14, 2015 05:25PM) (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Lea Ann's Summer Challenge

* Read a book involving fishing or fisherman. A Voyage to Virginia in 1609 Two Narratives Strachey's "True Reportory" & Jourdain's Discovery of the Bermudas by William Strachey
* Read a Gardening book.
* Read a book with a tent/camp out on the cover. A Boy Called Slow  by Joseph Bruchac
* Read a book with songbirds on the cover. Sula by Toni Morrison (a robin on the cover)
* Read a book with someone walking barefoot in the grass on the cover. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, #1) by Mark Twain (on the edition I read, Tom is strolling along barefoot)
* Read a book with a character who watches the stars or goes in space. Middleworld (The Jaguar Stones, #1) by Jon Voelkel Lots of star watching going on in this book that centers on Mayan mythology and traditions.
* May is named after Maia the fertility goddess, read a book involving becoming pregnant, or being pregnant or about Maia.
* Mothers Day- read a book about Mothers Inseparable by Ann Major (The catalyst for the whole plot is the matriarch of the family)
* Fathers Day- read a book about Fathers The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley Flavia's father is arrested for murder. She has to learn to truth about his past to help him gain his freedom.
* Memorial Day- read a book about soldiers. Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan (Set in WW2)
* June is named after Goddess Juno the goddess of marriage. Read a book about Juno or focusing on Marriage.
* children's Day- read a book with kids on the cover or kids are the main characters When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit (Out of the Hitler Time, #1) by Judith Kerr
* Gay Pride- Read a book involving GLTB focus Top O' the Mournin' (Passport to Peril, #2) by Maddy Hunter (As this story starts, the main character's ex-husband has just had a sex change. A lot of the more humorous momnents in the book come from Jack's/Jackie's issues with a newly assigned gender)
* Independence Day- read a book about any country or person gaining independence Surviving Hitler A Boy in the Nazi Death Camps by Andrea Warren (Surely concentration camp victim being liberated counts, right?)
* Read a book with people swimming or bathing suit on the cover.
* September is named because it was originally the seventh month, read a book with seven in the title.
* Read a book involving going on vacation My Life in France by Julia Child When Julia Child and her husband move back to the States they have a vacation home in France that they visited a lot, so there you go, a book involving a vacation.
* Read a book that takes place at the beach, or lake Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs This is a stretch with this one, but it is set (mostly) in Wales and there are very important, climactic and final scenes on the water.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Lea wrote: "Melissa, you are killing me! Okay, I'm going to give this a go. Pretty sure I will not get half of these read, but you never know. Can we just keep track of it here?"

I thought the same thing after I posted it but I figure I can hit most of them somehow with books I would read anyway? Or maybe not but what the heck?!

message 7: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments I'm playing loose and fast with this list. I hope no one minds. lol

message 8: by Karin (last edited Aug 25, 2015 07:04PM) (new)

Karin | 405 comments Karin's Summer Reading Challenge

* Read a book involving fishing or fisherman.
* Read a Gardening book.
* Read a book with a tent/camp out on the cover.
* Read a book with songbirds on the cover.
* Read a book with someone walking barefoot in the grass on the cover.
* Read a book with a character who watches the stars or goes in space.
* May is named after Maia the fertility goddess, read a book involving becoming pregnant, or being pregnant or about Maia. Capture The Rainbow (Sedikhan, #4) by Iris Johansen
* Mothers Day- read a book about Mothers The Secret Between Us by Barbara Delinsky
* Fathers Day- read a book about Fathers
* Memorial Day- read a book about soldiers. SEALed with a Kiss (Harlequin Blaze, #589) by Jill Monroe = I was not sure if a Navy Seal counted in this category or not.
* children's Day- read a book with kids on the cover or kids are the main characters
* Gay Pride- Read a book involving GLTB focus
* Independence Day- read a book about any country or person gaining independence
* Read a book with people swimming or bathing suit on the cover. Second Honeymoon (Honeymoon, #2) by James Patterson
* September is named because it was originally the seventh month, read a book with seven in the title. Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum, #17) by Janet Evanovich
* Read a book involving going on vacation
* Read a book that takes place at the beach, or lake

message 9: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments That last book I read had a lot of talk of fishing, or lack of finding fish, at the Jamestown Colony, so I'm counting it!

message 10: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments I knocked out the tent book on this challenge.