Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
This topic is about Clockwork Angel
Clockwork Angel Discussion > Initial Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay, Conquering YA One Book at a Time (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay | 79 comments Mod
What are your initial thoughts on the book? Do you like the characters? Does it live up to its hype?

Ashlee Ahh I love this series!! I will admit, though, it took me a while to get into the first book…it probably didn't help that I kept having to put it down and pick it up again, but once I got going I finished the whole series within a week.

So much better than The Mortal Instruments (which I just barely tolerated the first two books of)

Connie (hoot reads books) (connieng) This is my first time reading Cassandra Claire so I'm really excited to read the Infernal Devices. Many book bloggers I follow say that's its way better then the Mortal Instruments because of the characters, and I find that really interesting.

Clockwork Angel has also been on my TBR for awhile so I didn't mind buying a copy either. Really hoping for some good times in this one!

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Although this is the first book of a series, the series itself is preceded by another series - Mortal Instruments. I think I'll skip this month and catch up another time unless someone can assure me that this book stands on its own. I don't want to have to backtrack to get important information.

Connie (hoot reads books) (connieng) At first I heard you're suppose to read The Infernal Devices before The Mortal Instruments, but after doing some research on Goodreads, people are saying you should read them in order by the release date and others say you should read Mortal Instruments first because you understand the characters of the Shadow Hunters more.

Now I'm confused as to how to follow Cassandra's books or does it even matter how you should read them? I understand how people have their own opinions but if you're just a newbie (like me) then how would you recommend that person to read the series?

Sabrina (forebodinq) | 31 comments I loved the Infernal Devices. Clockwork Angel was great, but Clockwork Prince was the book that really sold me on the series.

You can definitely read The Infernal Devices on its own without The Mortal Instruments. Everything is explained properly. I'd personally recommend reading TID before TMI, and especially before City of Heavenly Fire, the last book in the TMI series.

message 7: by Ashlee (last edited May 06, 2015 01:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashlee okay everyone here's some clarification just in case you haven't already worked it out:

Cassandra Clare has THREE series/collections all set in the Shadowhunter world

The Mortal Instruments (published first) - 6 books/ 2 back to back trilogies
The Infernal Devices (published second) - 3 books
The Bane Chronicles (only recently published) - 1 short story collection

ALL THREE SERIES STAND ON THEIR OWN - you can read them in any order you choose. Clockwork Angel is the first book of The Infernal Devices and the events that take place in this book precede The Mortal Instruments series by over 100 years.

There is also a collection of short stories being released throughout this year that I believe fills the gap between TID and TMI called The Shadowhunter Academy, but I would suggest reading these after you've finished both series

I would absolutely recommend The infernal Devices first as it's brilliant - The Mortal Instruments put me off Cassandra Clare's writing for about 2 years.

Ashlee Sabrina wrote: "I loved the Infernal Devices. Clockwork Angel was great, but Clockwork Prince was the book that really sold me on the series.

You can definitely read The Infernal Devices on its own without The M..."

I had the same reaction to Clockwork Prince!

Connie (hoot reads books) (connieng) Thanks for the clarification everyone! It's nice to hear from other people who have read the series and know how to read the books!

message 10: by Grace (new)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Ash wrote: "okay everyone here's some clarification just in case you haven't already worked it out:

...ALL THREE SERIES STAND ON THEIR OWN..."

Thank you for clarifying this. I'll try to join the discussion later this month - if I can get a copy of the book from the library in time.

message 11: by Kay, Conquering YA One Book at a Time (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay | 79 comments Mod
Ash wrote: "Ahh I love this series!! I will admit, though, it took me a while to get into the first book…it probably didn't help that I kept having to put it down and pick it up again, but once I got going I f..." I really cannot understand how TMI is even a part of this universe. TID is so amazing, funny, heartwarming, beautiful and I find TMI stupid, niave and arrogant!

message 12: by Kay, Conquering YA One Book at a Time (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay | 79 comments Mod
Ash wrote: "okay everyone here's some clarification just in case you haven't already worked it out:

Cassandra Clare has THREE series/collections all set in the Shadowhunter world

The Mortal Instruments (publ..."

Sorry, this isn't 100% correct. You shouldn't read the final three books of the Mortal Instruments without reading the Infernal Devices first.

CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE AND CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS BOTH CONTAIN MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR THE INFERNAL DEVICES

The safest way to read them is in publication order, but you can also read TID first. The only thing you cannot do is read the entire TMI series before reading TID.

message 13: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole (rand0m0sityxx) | 10 comments I was very iffy on it. I have yet to finish the Mortal Instruments series. Its gotten blah to me.

However now starting it so far its worth my time. Tho with work I'm slowly reading it. :/

Sarah (geekymom13) | 23 comments I read TID first and am glad I did. The first couple of TMI books were hard for me to get through and I don't know if it's because I didn't read them first or because I knew Clare could do better than that. I tell my husband everything that goes on in a book that I love and I think he knows some of the parts of TID better than what I remember. lol I love Magnus! :)

message 15: by Shiny (new) - added it

Shiny | 5 comments I love this series and the characters SO much!!!!! It's truly amazing and definitely one of my favourites!

message 16: by Lina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lina | 13 comments I loved the whole trilogy. I loved the plot, the unique characters, the writing style.What i also liked about these books is the love triangle, there are some books where you are just sick of them, but this love triangle was incredibly written. I recommend this trilogy for those who are fans of "The mortal instruments", fantasy and historical fiction.