Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > May 2015: Sharp Objects

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

message 2: by Jazzmine Cap (new)

Jazzmine Cap (that_broad_chic) Awesome read! I have read all three of Flynn's books and this one was probably my favorite. She has a writing style that is quite unique. I don't usually read books more than once but this one I could see myself reading again and taking something away from it again.

message 3: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2950 comments Mod
Jazzmine wrote: "Awesome read! I have read all three of Flynn's books and this one was probably my favorite. She has a writing style that is quite unique. I don't usually read books more than once but this one I co..."

It is refreshing to see people agree and disagree.
Especially about the not-so-hyped Flynn book

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina (niisku80) | 21 comments I just finnished this book and I think that it was a ok book but not quite what I was expecting. I can't say I loved or liked this book, but I didn't hate it.
The story was interesting but a bit disturbing, I didn't like any of the character and I think it effected my reading experience and the whole book was just ok for me.
I read Dark Places by this author and I liked that book so i was expecting more of this book.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Nina wrote: "I just finnished this book and I think that it was a ok book but not quite what I was expecting. I can't say I loved or liked this book, but I didn't hate it.
The story was interesting but a bit d..."

Dark Places was also the first of her novels that I've read. I found it to be well written (such a fast read) but a bit too much to believe in the end. Then again I really enjoyed the twisted main character. I hope to get something similar with Sharp Objects, which I haven't started yet, because I had to queue up at the library and won't get it before the 19th. Anticipating it with mixed feelings.

message 6: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) | 53 comments I enjoyed this book more than Gone Girl but I'm not really keen on the author's writing style. I thought she did a good job of creating a picture of Camille's upbringing and home life, and the town of Wind Gap. 3 stars from me.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ace_librarian) I have read all three, and I liked the in the order the were published. It's been a while since I have read them, though, so I may pick this one up for a re-read this month!

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments Not sure when I can get to this one, but if have read her other two, which I enjoyed. I need to see the Gone Girl movie.

message 9: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 61 comments Just finished it. Didn't expect that ending. Very twisted family. This is the first book of hers I've read.

message 10: by Sam (last edited May 20, 2015 10:40AM) (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) I listend to this on audio today in one sitting. Flynn's writing is just irresistible.
There were some parallels to Dark Places which didn't bother me; overall I prefer Sharp Objects. The protagonist seems a bit more likeable and relatable, and the story more sound. For some reason I had my suspicions in this one, but it was far more fun to see the story unfold. With Dark Places it was different: I knew who did it, and I'm not your usual crime solver. So, Sharp Objects was definitely more fun. I think I gave DP 3 stars, this here is definitely a 4 star reading. And I say that as someone not particularly fond of crime novels.

Spoiler for Dark Places and Sharp Objects
(view spoiler)