Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
This topic is about Red Queen
Group Reads > Red Queen

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments This looks so good, can't wait to read it!

Abby Warren (abbyjean14) I reserved this at the library...hopefully a copy will get returned before the end of the month.

message 4: by B (last edited May 09, 2015 04:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

B (bmm244) | 7 comments I was scared to read this book, I had heard such good things and couldn't handle the disappointment if I disagreed with them. Looking from goodreads to my tbr shelf I decided to take the plunge.

With each chapter I became more engrossed, invested more of myself into the characters. At risk of falling I decided to pace myself, limit my exposure to Aveyard's deceptive and seductive world.

This morning I cracked like a fat kid at a free all you can eat buffet and stuffed myself with more and more story until there was no more...

Now here I am left hollow and betrayed that glorious path of words that I was so engaged with has come to a shuddering halt. All the while I am forced to endure the torturous wait until the next book is released.

I am not saying this book if perfect. There are a few gaping story flaws that kind of baffle me if I think about them too much (Hello? If Mare really was silver like you dumb bitch King and Queen are claiming, how did she not realise this for her whole life? I'm sure would have bleed at some point and gone "Well shit! Lookie what we have here!" How did her father allegedly sneak a baby back from a warzone? Now she is exposed, why isn't he being punished?... etc [Like... if I was in one of the high houses I would be thinking these things. Seems outlandish for the king and queen to claim that she just realised she was Silver... I dunno. Hopefully this makes sense]) and there was a lot of information to absorb... You almost need a study guide or Cliffsnotes like companion to keep up with all the houses and names of places and all the characters. But the main characters kind of help you through it.

However, the writing was engaging and descriptive, and the characters were relatable and multifaceted and that kept the story moving at a steady pace.

I really enjoyed this book, and if you don't think about it too much I think you would too :-)

Amber (msrcreation) My favorite for the year so far. Fell in love with the story & characters. I can't wait for the sequel.

Ashley | 2 comments I think the book was amazing. AT first I wasn't a huge fan, but it became amazing! I'm not so sure I liked the way it ended though, I feel like the ending was a bit weak and like it was wrapped up too quickly, but besides that, it was great!

message 7: by David (new) - added it

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Awesome! Sounds great :)

Alaa | 9 comments WOW is all I have to say!

Alaa | 9 comments B wrote: "I was scared to read this book, I had heard such good things and couldn't handle the disappointment if I disagreed with them. Looking from goodreads to my tbr shelf I decided to take the plunge.

..."

Completely agree with you

Gladys (saidtheraven) Finished this book some time ago and I was surprised with how much I liked it. I was worried I would hate it because of the insane hype it has been receiving. But it was good. (:

Barbara Granadillo | 1 comments Awesome book I just finished it today... I just cannot believe it :)

message 12: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 111 comments Finished this about a month ago. I thought Mare is actually Red, because they had to put make up on her to make her look pale. And that the author would explain how this came about in the sequel, btw which I can't wait to read! I find it funny that last month I saw it in the library, and was debating to myself whether or not I should borrow it. I didn't know then that people had said it was really good and that it was a debut novel. In my head, I was like the cover looks really good and the blurb does too, but the book's really big. Is it the kind of thing I would read? Anyway, it turned out to be yes. Though, there was a bit of the book which was a bit slow. But it's good. :D

message 13: by Nora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nora Nelly I finished this book last night. I gave it a 4 out 5 star rating just for the slow start. This book has everything you want in a book. Lots of action, a little mystery, suspense and a big shocker at the end. I was thinking this would be like the hunger games. You know the poor get nothing but torturous. While the rich are stupid and get everything. It is kind of like that but it has a twist with the slivers having powers which was interesting. I think Mare forgot her cause more than I liked. I seriously hated Kilorn. I felt like he did nothing but complain. I felt like Mare shouldn't have helped him so much. He only joined the guard because Mare did. He would only get mad at Marr for helping him and it is his fault she got put in that mess anyway. As for Cal I don't really know how to feel about him. I'm like Mare I want to like him but I don't like him. Maven just wow... Seriously all that from jealously? I don't know though maybe his mother just twisted his mind in all this and maybe he really is kind.

Overall I liked this book and can't wait until the second book comes out.

message 15: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine (elainelinawan) | 11 comments omg! I'm reading your comments and it's making me more excited and nervous! I ordered a paperback of this on Amazon and I can't wait to read it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hard to control my expectations butttt ughhh. Haha!

Winona Muliadi (winonamaria) I finished this book a while ago and gave it 4 stars. The lack of originality in this book surprisingly did not bother me that much. It gave me a good read and that's all that matters to me.

message 17: by Abby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abby Warren (abbyjean14) I finished this book last week and really enjoyed it. I teach a unit on dystopian literature and one of the ideas we discuss is that dystopian authors are usually making some kind of statement about today's society through the society they are writing about. In this book, the differences between the Reds the Silvers and the people working in the black, smoky area is all a statement about the 1% vs. the 99% in our society today. I also loved the dynamic between Cal and Mare...holy cow! So did not see the twist with Maven coming at all! Always the sign of a good book to me when the twist comes and I'm reading with my jaw dropped. Overall this was a great read for me and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Clark D | 2 comments This book was really good. Although there were your standard fantasy norms, it was paced well and written with a superb amount of awareness for attention grabbing action. I wanted more action scenes. I'm sure I'll get my fix from the next installments. I can't wait for it to be a movie. I'm sure the special effects will be awesome.