Nature Literature discussion

Book of the Month > The Bluebird Effect discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Norman | 657 comments Mod
Please add your comments for this book here.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12 comments I'm an avid birder, and I'm looking forward to reading this one. I just put a hold on it at the library.

message 3: by Andree (new)

Andree Sanborn (meeyauw) | 127 comments I learned so much: especially about chimney swifts (never seen) and mourning doves (seen often in certain parts of the year).

message 4: by Sher (new)

Sher (sheranne) | 943 comments Mod
I've got this one and also A Message from Martha on order!

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12 comments I'm enjoying The Bluebird Effect; it has a soft, accessible tone, but it is definitely not all light and fluff! I randomly chose the chapter on cardinals to start off with instead of the first chapter. It pulled me in because the author right away brought up an ecological issue - perhaps even a controversy - related to cardinals that I hadn't known about or considered. Now I've gone back to chapter one to more or less read in order. Be back soon...

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Horikoshi | 4 comments I'm really really enjoying this book (admittedly much more than H is for Hawk.)I love books where I'm able to connect personally with the material. While I've only made it about halfway so far, the stories of the birds which I have also rehabbed are so familiar, while reading about some other species is so intriguing. Even though I've studied animal behavior in school and read many books about birds, etc. actually holding and feeding and observing the birds teaches you so much, and I love all that I can learn from her experiences. The artwork is also beautiful and makes me wish I could produce anything half as realistic.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12 comments Beth, that's great you've rehabbed birds. I bet you can relate to quite a bit of this. This book has me considering volunteering at our local wildlife rehab center. I love each and every chapter. Some of it is funny, all interesting. Now I've just started the Summer section.

I have to say I was surprised that the author makes a point to train the rehabbed birds to come back for food just before she releases them. I guess it's good insurance in case they aren't quite ready to go on their own. I don't judge it. It must be an amazing experience.

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12 comments Hi Rach...I see your point! I presume that she knows what she's doing, and that she wouldn't do this if she observed negative consequences for the birds she's handling. Maybe it is only once per species? Maybe her observations will contribute to science...