UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > The Magician in the Attic

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magician-Atti...

The Curlew Chronicles series opens with The Magician in the Attic, a story about Alexander Roebuck, a young magician coached by a mysterious recluse called Francis Curlew. Just before his fourteenth birthday, Alex first comes to the attention of the legendary Curlew and is taken under his wing.
Like any other fourteen year-old, Alex has to contend with all that family, friends, school and the local busy-bodies throw at him. If he is to realise his dream of being a renowned illusionist, he must respect the older man’s seemingly strange obsession with privacy and seclusion. He wants to learn from his mentor more than anything else, but that means hours of practice, keeping secrets from his mum and his best friend, and gaining experience in (mis)directing the attention of an audience. Alex soon persuades his form tutor to let him perform some illusions as part of the forthcoming school play. Is he ready for the audience… and are they ready for him?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magician-Atti...

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Perhaps Gingerlilly will come along and clear up the mystery author name and lead the discussion .....

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I might be willing to lead the discussion, but the mystery author name is a closely guarded secret...

message 4: by Gingerlily - The Full Wild (last edited May 04, 2015 05:29AM) (new)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Has anyone read this yet? I know Will and Kath have, but are there any others?

Oh yes, Sarah has as well. And Andy.

Anyone have any comments on it?

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments It's on my radar . . .

message 6: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments At the time of reading this book I was looking for a bit of light reading and escapism. I certainly got the latter as it absorbed me completely . The plot and characters had much more depth than I anticipated...I think I misjudged the youth market as this is not a genre I frequent.
I tried the Harry Potter series several times and * ducks* just could not engage with them.
There is obviously much more of a back history to follow in this series and I can't wait to discover it.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Glad you enjoyed it Sarah. I have seen a few glimpses of the next book, and theres some interesting developments.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments I really enjoyed it, the characters are well-drawn and there's some great misdirection about one main character in particular.

I also liked the various props that Curlew starts to lend Alex throughout the book. They are, fundamentally, very silly indeed. But there's such an emphasis on their application that the reader doesn't really notice this.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next book.

message 9: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I too thoroughly enjoyed this book. There's plenty of scope for this to turn into a series, should the author be willing to concentrate!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I will pass all such comments onto the author. Who is definitely working on it, he is, honest!

message 11: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Just like that....

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9086 comments Not like that, like this

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Oh dear.

message 14: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments No, I'm cheap.

(But you already knew that)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments If anyone is interested in seeing the author read out the first chapter of his book....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88vgX...

message 16: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Caspian can read me my bedtime story anytime GL;@)

What a gorgeous.......voice! Phew!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Now, now Sarah! Behave....

message 18: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Obviously a future in narrating spoken word books of a certain genre.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Ahem... I'll pass on the feedback.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21940 comments Having spoken to the man, I'd say pretty much any genre ;-)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Caspian has very quickly peeped in, and he said he wishes he had a chance to come and chat. But with a business to launch on monday and a new magic show next friday, he is up to and beyond his eyes in work. He is very happy and flattered at all the interest in the book. And his reading capabilities...

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21940 comments Yes, I've had two days on the road, in exotic places like Langdale and Kendal and then today with fence posts and sheep netting and I'm getting behind

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Thats so much more exciting than
http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/New-Es...
Jim!

message 24: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Is it a magic shop GL?
Wishing him every success with both the business and the show, hope he finds time to finish the sequel soon.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Well, no, although he is planning to open an e-shop selling all sorts of magic stuff very soon.

This is an 'escape the room' experience. Basically, a team of people are locked into a room, and have an hour to escape. To get out they have to solve a series of puzzles. More details at http://www.escapism.biz/

The eshop is already there at http://www.caspianmagic.com/eshop.html but there isn't much for sale yet. There will be though...

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21940 comments Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher wrote: "Thats so much more exciting than
http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/New-Es...
Jim!"

That's a good idea on his part. I've been looking at trying to get him up here with stuff, and people are keen, it's just we're short handed and running everything else as well.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments He did mention that to me Jim :) I'm sure you'll work it out sooner or later.

message 28: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments 'Escape the room' experience sounds terrific, my son would love it!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Philip (sarah) wrote: "'Escape the room' experience sounds terrific, my son would love it!"

Well if he wants to book I should be able to get him a discount. Send me a message if he is interested.

message 30: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Thanks GL, I'll show him the link when he visits next. Is there more than one venue?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Philip (sarah) wrote: "Thanks GL, I'll show him the link when he visits next. Is there more than one venue?"

At the moment just one. If it takes off we have plans to do more, but there is a small matter of finance....