Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

To Kill a Mockingbird
This topic is about To Kill a Mockingbird
Archive - Group Reads > To Kill a Mockingbird - May 2015

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chava | 2788 comments Hi all,
This is the thread to discuss the classic To kill a mocking bird. The discussion leader is Mary (thanks again Mary)

message 2: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 72 comments I've seen the film twice and read it last year. What I recall most is my mom reading when I was bout Scout's age and hooting with laughter whenever Scout said something typical of the age group.

message 3: by Mary Beth (last edited May 06, 2015 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Beth  | 378 comments **** There will be spoilers in this Discussion Group Do Not Read Discussion until after you read the book unless you don't care of spoilers******

I came prepared this month and read the book last month, so we will be having fun discussing this book for the month! I already have some things planned with discussion questions! All of this will take place Monday! You can start now if you already read the book by answering the 1st discussion question!

1. What did you think of the book?

More questions will be given Monday!

Portia | 308 comments I saw the movie when it was first released and the read the book. I reread it in 2010 for the 50th anniversary. I was (and still am, somewhere) one of those girls who wished she had a brother like Jem and a father like Atticus. I very much like Boo Radley.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I read this book for the first time about 5 years ago and then also watched the movie for the first time. I loved both! I wonder how many people decided to become an attorney because of Atticus Finch.

I love the "voice" the book is written in and its honest and open take of the South.

message 6: by Charles (new)

Charles Vella | 10 comments I read the book years ago and have seen the movie a number of times. I just got it today and am really looking forward to rereading it.

Mary Beth  | 378 comments Discussion Question

2. For the ones that read the book already, Do you know that there is another book that is called To Set A Watchman? It comes out in July for America. Who plans on reading it?

More questions will be on here in the next couple of days!

Temple (temple62) | 511 comments I can't wait to read it. I already have it on hold at the library.

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I loved this book and loved the characters and read it twice! Once in high and reread it again last month since high school was years ago and wanted to remember more of the book. I have not watched the movie yet but I'm picking it up tomorrow and watching it! I am definitely am going to read the second book because after I read it, there were some questions I had that weren't answered in the book. I can't wait to read it?

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm not sure if I'll read Go Set a Watchman or not.

Mary Beth  | 378 comments *********** Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers*******

******************(*(**************(***********************

This group will have spoilers this month! Since there are discussion questions it will be hard to spoiler tag everything so be careful! Do not read until finished with book when you comment make sure at the top of your comment spoilers spoilers spoilers with stars if possible
at bottom of comment put please add stars and spoilers at top of page for the next person to do this, so none reads spoilers on accident!

Mary Beth  | 378 comments *********Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers*********

Discussion Question 1

Discuss Atticus's parenting style. What is the relationship to his children like? How does he seek to instill conscience in them?

DISCUSSION Question 2

Analyze the trial scene and its relationship to rest of the novel?

DISCUSSION NUMBER 3

Analyze the author's treatment of Boo Radley. What is his role in the novel?

Discussion number 4

What is Atticus's relationship to the rest of Maycomb? What is his role in the community?

MORE discussion questions will be asked, you do not have to answer every question, or don't have to answer any if you don't want to. Feel free to comment on anything you would like to comment about!

***When commenting please put ****** spoiler spoiler spoiler on top of page so the next person knows there may be spoilers! Then at the bottom of the page! Thank You

Discuss the role of family in To Kill A Mocking Bird.

Temple (temple62) | 511 comments I love the way Atticus talks to his children. He treats them with respect.

Pamela Mclaren | 183 comments This book has been sitting in my to read pile for far to long and so far, I love the questions that you're asking, Mary. Will dive into it this weekend!

Elizabeth Horton-Newton (newliz) | 13 comments This is my all time favorite book. I think I have read it every year since I was about 12. I saw it in the movies when it came out (yes I am that old) but nothing compares with reading Harper Lee's words. Atticus Finch has always reminded me of my own father. He manages to discipline his children by treating them as people and not just children. While there are things he attempts to keep keep from them he never hesitates to answer their questions honestly. I also like the way he treats Calpurnia. He is a man of great character.

Mary Beth  | 378 comments Pamela wrote: "This book has been sitting in my to read pile for far to long and so far, I love the questions that you're asking, Mary. Will dive into it this weekend!"

Pamela I hope you are reading this, I feel that you will like this a lot! I loved it!

Mary Beth  | 378 comments Temple wrote: "I love the way Atticus talks to his children. He treats them with respect."

I agree with you Temple, he does treat his kids with respect. Atticus is a wise man, commited to justice and equality and his parenting style is based on fostering these virtues in his children. He even encourages Jem and Scout to call him Atticus so that they can interact on terms as equal as possible.

Mary Beth  | 378 comments Elizabeth wrote: "This is my all time favorite book. I think I have read it every year since I was about 12. I saw it in the movies when it came out (yes I am that old) but nothing compares with reading Harper Lee's..."

Elizabeth I agree with you that Atticus is a good father and disciplines them. HE is a kind and loving father, reading to his children and offering them comfort when they need it, but he is also capable of teaching them harsh lessons. Atticus standards are firm, and he doesn't want his son to have unfair protection from the law. He tells Scout to put herself in a persons shoes before judging them.

Lynsey | 41 comments I read this book and fell in love with it, I've just watched a theatre production which was amazing too. I admire Atticus hugely and it is very poignant when his children see how much he stands for. That scout and Jem grow up with this moral compass is enviable and I never fail to love scouts idealism and childlike simplicity.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) A Classic for a reason, this is a truly inspiring and moving read.

Pamela (PamelaStAbbs) | 18 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I'm not sure if I'll read Go Set a Watchman or not."

Reading it now.

message 22: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 72 comments Pamela wrote: "Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I'm not sure if I'll read Go Set a Watchman or not."

Reading it now."

Just because a character starts out one way doesn't mean s/he will end up that way. That's usually the way of stories. Also the way of whole books. Atticus #2 (Mockingbird) is the one we all love. Atticus #1 (Watchman) was more typical of his era. I' so glad she published #2 first.
I had a great-grandfather who was considered radical in his time. But he didn't "hold" with interracial marriage. Dunno what he'd think of things today.