The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

A Tale of Two Cities
This topic is about A Tale of Two Cities
The Dickens Project - Archives > A Tale of Two Cities, Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zulfiya (last edited May 01, 2015 10:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments Work in Progress. Will post ASAP. How about Sunday 17 as a start day?

Lynnm | 3027 comments Sounds good to me....

message 3: by Deborah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4487 comments Mod
I'm bummed that I won't have time to read this one. It's one of my favorites

Mary Lou Oh my gosh -- this group has a whole Dickens sub-group?? I'm in heaven. :-)

message 5: by Deborah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4487 comments Mod
Marion wrote: "Oh my gosh -- this group has a whole Dickens sub-group?? I'm in heaven. :-)"

Yes it does. The group has been reading them in order of publication.

Hedi | 978 comments 17th sounds great! Then I will not have too much to catch up to in June. My current working hours are absolutely crazy - even during the weekend. I have not read a book in weeks. :-(

message 7: by Pip (new) - added it

Pip | 468 comments 17th is good for me too :-)

message 8: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frances (francesab) | 1870 comments Mod
Works for me. This is another new Dickens for me so looking forward to it.

message 9: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 2205 comments Mod
I'm in

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments Drum roll, please!

This is the schedule for our upcoming novel and its discussion.

As agreed earlier, we shall start on May 17. It sounds like a good day to start reading another novel by Dickens. What is more, I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. After this novel, we will have only three more novels to plough though and "Ta-da!" The mission will be accomplished!

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments 05/17 - Book I (Chapters I-VI)
05/24 - Book II (Chapters I-VI)
05/31 - Book II (Chapters VII-XII)
06/07 - Book II (Chapters XIII-XVIII)
06/14 - Book II (Chapters XIX - XXIV)
06/21 - Book III (Chapters I-VI)
06/28 - Book III (Chapters VII-X)
07/05 - Book III (Chapters XI-XV)

And that is it - less then two months for this sweet little thing, and we will be ready to tackle another big novel by Dickens. That means that in 2016 the mission will be accomplished!

By the way, if anyone has an actual paper copy, please make sure that I have not segmented the book into too big pieces. I have based my schedule on an e-copy from my OneClickDigital download, and the pages should be roughly similar to the paper edition, but I cannot guarantee it. if you have a chance to see whether weekly selections exceed 50 pages per week (our usual load), please let me know.

Charge your reading batteries and enjoy long summer days ... if you are in the Northern Hemisphere. Dear Southern Hemispherees (excuse my neologism), I hope this novel will comfort you during your long winter nights :-)

message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne | 93 comments I have a hardcover copy, and all but the first section is less than or equal to 50 pages. The first section came out to 58 pages, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments Thank you, Ann!

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments I thought it would contain more pages than others, but I did not see any point in splitting book I into two weeks.

Thank you, again. You are awesome!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Moseley | 1 comments I'm in. A great book where knitting plays a role, you can't beat that. I have not read this since high school and that is more years than I care to remember.

Renee M | 751 comments Booyah! Can't wait to read this again! I did a fun little trilogy the last time with The Scarlet Pimpernel and Scaramouche. They were more swashbuckling adventure stories set during the French Revolution, but so much fun to read. If anyone is interested in doing one/both as a lighthearted buddy read I'd be up for it. :D

message 17: by Pip (new) - added it

Pip | 468 comments I've read (most of) the Scarlet Pimpernel, but not Scaramouche. I'd do the Fandango with you!

Renee M | 751 comments Fabulous! Since ToTC is an 8 week read, we could do one book May/June and the other June/July. ???

Bonnie | 228 comments July/August?