Space Opera Fans discussion

Gridlinked (Agent Cormac #1, Polity Universe #3)
This topic is about Gridlinked
Previous BOTM Threads > Gridlinked by Neal Asher

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

You ever feel like the internet is an addiction? And you're going to quit cold turkey, because you can live without it? Right? Only you been linked up so long that you no longer know how to function without the flow of information?

[*yeah, that's me most days ... I'll start my diet on Monday...*]

Well Gridlinked by Neal Asher explores that concept on an interstellar scale:

Gridlinked (Agent Cormac, #1) by Neal Asher Neal Asher

"Cormac is a legendary Earth Central Security agent, the James Bond of a wealthy future where "runcibles" (matter transmitters controlled by AIs) allow interstellar travel in an eye blink throughout the settled worlds of the Polity. Unfortunately Cormac is nearly burnt out, "gridlinked" to the AI net so long that his humanity has begun to drain away. He has to take the cold-turkey cure and shake his addiction to having his brain on the net.

Now he must do without just as he’s sent to investigate the unique runcible disaster that's wiped out the entire human colony on planet Samarkand in a thirty-megaton explosion. With the runcible out, Cormac must get there by ship, but he has incurred the wrath of a vicious psychopath called Arian Pelter, who now follows him across the galaxy with a terrifying psychotic killer android in tow. And deep beneath Samarkand's surface there are buried mysteries, fiercely guarded.

This is fast-moving, edge-of-the-seat entertainment -- an American debut that's sure to make a splash and launch Neal Asher in a big way..."

Are you reading Gridlinked? Why not shout it out if you're reading it so you can find a book buddy, and then drop your thoughts into the discussion thread below. Just be kind, please, and use the spoiler .html to hide the worst of the spoilers so those who aren't as far along as you are don't get the surprises revealed.

Be epic!
Anna Erishkigal

John Abbott | 73 comments Yes! I voted for it so I better read it! Can't wait!

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) You sure my husband didn't put you up to this? :-) He swears he's going to pull the plug and make me go cold turkey one of these days!

John Abbott | 73 comments No you can't not yet! There's still so much out there! Haha.

Adam Chant Only just read gridlinked, now on the third Ian Cormac novel with the rest in the TBR pile. Good stuff!

Andrew (mr_andrew_c) | 6 comments I have read the first four Cormac novels and the two prequels. It's about time to re-read book 1!

Jason Braida | 51 comments Just downloaded the book. Looking forward to the read.

MorningLightMountain | 49 comments Is this selection better than The Departure? That was my first experience reading Asher and it was fairly awful.

message 9: by Jonathan (last edited May 04, 2015 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonathan Bergeron (scifi_jon) | 370 comments MorningLightMountain wrote: "Is this selection better than The Departure? That was my first experience reading Asher and it was fairly awful."

Dark Intelligence is great, you should give that a shot.

I have Gridlinked up next in my TBR pile.

message 10: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria | 2 comments This book looks great! I probably won't get around to reading it this month, but I'm definitely adding it to my to-read list.

message 11: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Abbott | 73 comments Gridlinked has been good to me so far!

For those that have gotten a bit into it...

(view spoiler)

Jason Braida | 51 comments I'm about half way through. Enjoying the book so far. The society described by Asher is quite complex and detailed. The character of Ian Cormac is multidimensional and rather complex. Looking forward to see how it ends.

Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir (grafarholt) | 1 comments I read this in back February and I really liked it.

The story was great and I really loved agent Cormac. It was interesting to see how he struggled and changed after being cut off from the net.

I plan on reading the rest of the series.

message 14: by Jason (last edited May 14, 2015 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jason Braida | 51 comments Finished. I gave the book 4 out of 5 stars and will add the second book in the series to my TBR list. I posted a more detail review. My main criticism was that the ending seemed to leave a number of loose ends and failed to answer the question of who ultimately was responsible for destroying the Samarkand runcible. Perhaps we were meant to be left hanging and wanting more...ie it was a hook for the next book in the seires. I put a more detailed review on the Goodreads entry for the book.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Jason wrote: "Finished. I gave the book 4 out of 5 stars and will add the second book in the series to my TBR list. I posted a more detail review. My main criticism was that the ending seemed to leave a numbe..."

Could you post a link to your review, Jason? A lot of time other people enjoy to read them.

message 18: by John (last edited May 14, 2015 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Abbott | 73 comments Yeah I was going to post it as well. It was easier for me to find when I clicked on his name and went to the reviews.

Great review by the way.

I should be done in a couple more days; I'll put my own review up then. Mine are usually short and sweet though. Not to say that yours is long, it's just that half the time I finish the book and go "duh, what can I write now..." to which I feel like Homer Simpson thinking about donuts.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Mine have been short and sweet lately, too. I've got this 14-book high pile next to my desk of books I need to review. A lot of times, the best I can do is just leave a star-rating unless it's somebody I know, then I make time to squeeze out a paragraph.

message 20: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Abbott | 73 comments Exactly! I have a stack in my book shelf that I want to read, and I have a stack of electronic format that I need to read to give reviews.

I digress, I have put all of the Agent Cormac books on my lists to read. Also the Spatterjay books. I like the world that Neal Asher has made and want to read them all.

message 21: by Fiannawolf (new)

Fiannawolf | 163 comments This is also in the pile of "Purchased but haven't read yet" category. I did a little research and apparently this is part of a series of interconnected books. Not all of them deal with Cormac though which is neat.

message 22: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Abbott | 73 comments Yes I think there are only three that do. Well there is also the one that is part of the Polity universe, but not really a Cormac novel all though he is in it.

Conal (conalo) | 143 comments 5 books in the Cormac series as of now.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/4912...

Jonathan Bergeron (scifi_jon) | 370 comments Gridlinked is the next book I buy. He's a damn fine author and I like supporting the authors I enjoy.

message 25: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Abbott | 73 comments Oh wow, even more than I thought.

I was actually refering to the 2nd Polity book. Shadow of the Scorpion: A Novel of the Polity

It's in the timeline before Gridlinked!

@Jonathan - The Polity Universe books are definitely great. From what I hear the new book Dark Intelligence which is supposed to be way in the future is a really good book as well.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

The Cormac series is brilliant,I wouldn't bother with the prequels - they don't add much and are inferior.
The 3 Spatterday novels are also excellent,the 3rd 'Orbus' is as good a hard SF read as you can get.

Jonathan Bergeron (scifi_jon) | 370 comments Gridlinked is amazing, nearly as great as Dark Intelligence. I just put up a review of Gridlinked. You'll see just how much I loved it by reading that review.