Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

The Life of Charlotte Brontë
This topic is about The Life of Charlotte Brontë
The Life of Charlotte Bronte > Week 2 - Chapters 8-14

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
Discussion for chapters 8-14 will take place here.

Ginny (burmisgal) | 190 comments Mrs. Gaskell states in Ch. 14: "Acting on the conviction, which I have all along entertained, that where Charlotte Bronte's own words could be used, no others ought to take their place." On my first reading of this book, I think I hurried through many of these letters. Now I realize that they ARE the story--and the writing is so often profound and brilliant. The letters to Ellen Nussey essentially constitute a journal and the writing is so spontaneous, erudite, and often profound, as well as revealing. Ellen was obviously her "darling"--this comes through without any comment from Mrs. Gaskell.

Re the French selections: For those of you who read French, is there a necessity for hunting for translations? Or has anyone found translations?

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 368 comments I've been skimming the French.

Loving the descriptions of Emily's affinity to the Moors (I'm still in Chapter 8)

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn B | 10 comments Ginny wrote: "Mrs. Gaskell states in Ch. 14: "Acting on the conviction, which I have all along entertained, that where Charlotte Bronte's own words could be used, no others ought to take their place." On my fi..."

I confess to skipping the French as far as possible. I'm listening to an audio book and it's unfortunate that my knowledge of French isn't sufficient to enable me to pick out more than a few words but is sufficient to tell me that my narrator's French accent is appalling!

I wish that books of the time didn't assume so much knowledge of French among their readers. I seem to remember that there are large sections of French in one of Charlotte's books- I can't remember which, possibly Villette or perhaps The Professor.

message 5: by Lynn (last edited May 23, 2015 05:04PM) (new)

Lynn B | 10 comments I was interested to hear that Charlotte often stayed at the Chapter Coffee House in London. When I googled Chapter Coffee House, I found this rather nice illustrated short blog

http://kleurrijkbrontesisters.blogspo...

Ginny (burmisgal) | 190 comments That is where Mr. Harding stays when he goes to London to consult with Sir Abraham Haphasard. Charlotte must have read Trollope at some point.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 368 comments Lynn wrote: "I was interested to hear that Charlotte often stayed at the Chapter Coffee House in London. When I googled Chapter Coffee House, I found this rather nice illustrated short blog

http://kleurrijkbro..."

& if you clink a link again, there is a fascinating short history of the London Coffee House!

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn B | 10 comments The blog is enormous if you click on all the side labels..... a real treasure trove of Bronte information.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 368 comments & with the biography - if there is an edition that translates the French letters, it could be worth seeking out. I took French at school but that was a long time ago & it's now on a par with my Swahili.

So yes, I have given up & am now skimming.

message 10: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "I was interested to hear that Charlotte often stayed at the Chapter Coffee House in London. When I googled Chapter Coffee House, I found this rather nice illustrated short blog

http://kleurrijkbro..."

Thanks for the link!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 368 comments Anastasia wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I was interested to hear that Charlotte often stayed at the Chapter Coffee House in London. When I googled Chapter Coffee House, I found this rather nice illustrated short blog

http:/..."

Aaarrrggghhh, meant skimming the French! Must better proofread my messages here!