Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2) Winter of the World question

Do I need to remember Fall of Giants?
MD MD May 01, 2015 03:53PM
It's been so long since I read the first one that I don't remember a thing about it even after reading summaries online? Is it necessary? I really hate to have to read it again and I really want to read Winter.

Not really - it can read as a stand alone, as the action takes place further in time and all references of things that happened in Fall of Giants are preceptible and may recall you of what you read, without actualy re-reading it.

deleted member Aug 11, 2015 08:03AM   0 votes
Don't you think, too, that he does a great job of weaving the past, reminders of who's who and where they came from, into the book? Even though I read them pretty close together, over about a year and a half, I appreciated that, and he did it without sounding like he was rehashing the previous books.

Not necessary. The characters came back to me in the book and I was able to pick up where the previous book left off.

No, it's not important that you remember Fall of Giants. You'll still be able to enjoy Winter of the World. I didn't remember very much from Fall of Giants when I read Winter of the World, and it wasn't a problem.

Go on with "Winter of the World." He organizes the characters again at the beginning. It's like living in the moment. Nothing is lost for this good read, even if you can't remember everything about the families from "Fall of Giants." He does an absolutely amazing job giving us personal perspective from the different characters, families, and countries. As an author myself, the first two books of this series are in my top all-time favorites for this genre.

Not really, they are stand alone. If you had a character you enjoyed in the first book, reading their history again may make the second book a richer read. Would you watch all Dowtown Abbey shows again? Or Outlander?

Read it anyway and I do recommend knowing the first book before reading second