Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

DMT: The Spirit Molecule
This topic is about DMT
MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS > The Use of DMT in Early Masonic Ritual

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimliedeka) I saw this article today that I thought was fascinating. http://realitysandwich.com/314264/the...

It argues that the use of an Ayahuasca like brew was once used in Masonic initiatory rites. Having read the article, it seems plausible to me.

message 2: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11189 comments Jim wrote: "I saw this article today that I thought was fascinating. http://realitysandwich.com/314264/the...

It argues that the use of an Ayahuasca like brew was once used i..."

Very interesting, but DMT was first discovered in the 1930s I thought. Or are you meaning they were using DMT in early Masonic rituals without calling it DMT?

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimliedeka) Yes, people have been using mind altering substances for thousands of years without knowing the specifics of they chemical makeup. What I find especially intriguing is that something like Ayahuasca could have been invented independently in at least two places. With our modern chemistry, we know that a MAOI like the substance in syrian rue or the ayahuasca vine can make DMT orally active. How did at least two cultures figure that out?

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimliedeka) BTW, DMT is surprisingly common. We actually produce it in our brains, probably in the pineal gland.

message 5: by James, Group Founder (last edited May 03, 2015 04:12PM) (new)

James Morcan | 11189 comments Jim wrote: "BTW, DMT is surprisingly common. We actually produce it in our brains, probably in the pineal gland."

Yep, I'm aware of that and I'm more interested in activating DMT in the brain without substances - for example, some research has shown TDCS and TMS devices, hypnagogic machines and floatation tanks can also release naturally-occurring DMT in the brain. DMT can be activated in various ways, I think, drugs just being one pathway.

Am not totally averse to these type of Carlos Castaneda-style spiritual drugs, but to use Ayahuasca I would need to be 100% sure that that Amazonian Indians producing and administering them were of the original traditional and not just commercially motivated.
Otherwise it's a risky endeavor in my opinion and taking risks with the chemical make-up of the brain should not be taken lightly.

message 6: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11189 comments Haven't read this book, but have had others recommend to me:

DMT: The Spirit Molecule

DMT The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman

message 7: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimliedeka) It's worth the read.

I would also be careful of trusting people administering ayahuasca. It can be dangerous if the person is unqualified. Even with a qualified guide, I gather it's not something to take lightly. At the best of times it can still be an ordeal. Not saying I wouldn't try it anyway.

I've had some experience with psychedelics but not for many years. Under the right circumstances, I would probably like to revisit psilocybin mushrooms, mescaline or LSD. I would really have to be in the right place and time to even think about doing pure DMT again. It's not for the squeamish. It's the psychedelic equivalent of getting hit by a freight train.

message 9: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 2766 comments Psychedelic Therapies & Mystical Experiences (with Roland Griffiths, Ph.D.) https://www.goodreads.com/videos/1149...

message 10: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11189 comments DMT: The Spirit Molecule (2010) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6X...

message 11: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Davis (portia2012) | 9 comments I have been interested in this drug for awhile. I already use medical marijuana for chronic pain.

I have thought of things like shrooms and DMT, but wonder where that slippery slope might come in. I am intrigued with some of the experiences that is reported back though.

Thank you for introducing this topic. If for nothing else it provides a different perspective.

message 12: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11189 comments Tammy wrote: "I have thought of things like shrooms and DMT, but wonder where that slippery slope might come in...."

Very slippery slope in my opinion as the brain is a Pandora's box. You never know how drugs may change the chemical make-up of an individual's brain.

I'm more interested in DMT drug research from a research perspective, how it interrelates with the pineal gland etc, rather than actually ingesting any substances.

message 13: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Davis (portia2012) | 9 comments James I agree, which is why I stick to only the medical marijuana. But like you, I am interested in the science and spiritual aspect of it.

I am not a person just to take drugs, heck I do not even like Vicodin when I have to take it from time to time.

I just have heard some quite amazing experiences from people.