Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Winner Chosen - Group Read for June 2015

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1927 comments What book about Tudor England or the Tudors would y'all like to read in June?

(If you can't remember what we've already read, there's a shelf for that on the group bookshelves - "group read." You can find the bookshelves in the links at the top right of the group's home page.)

Two nominations to a person, please.

message 2: by Ilona (new)

Ilona (stvalentinerose) | 7 comments Margaret George The autobiography of HenryVIII with notes by his Fool Will Sommers
Jean Plaidy Trilogy in one: Kathrine of Aragon
IMHO Maraget George's book is awesome and has a unique look at Henry's character and actions!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) Having read Alison Weir's book on Mary Queen of Scots, I would like to read more about her, so I will nominate:
Margaret George `Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles: A Novel'
and
Linda Porter `Crown of Thistles: The Fatal Inheritance of Mary Queen of Scots'
These are the titles under which they are published in the UK.

message 4: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) Ilona wrote: "Margaret George The autobiography of HenryVIII with notes by his Fool Will Sommers
Jean Plaidy Trilogy in one: Kathrine of Aragon
IMHO Maraget George's book is awesome and h..."

We've already read the Margaret George novel about Henry VIII

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1927 comments We read The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers in July and August of last year. (It was so long, we gave it 2 months!)

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 29 comments Margaret George Mary Queen of scots is my choice.

message 8: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 70 comments I suggest The Sumerton Women by D.L. Bogdan and The Man on a Donkey by H.F.M. Prescott (this one is divided into two parts, we might read the first part in June and the second one later on)...

message 9: by Elena (new)

Elena | 73 comments I nominate The Concubine by Norah Lofts and Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1927 comments I think I'll nominate Dark Fire, by C.J. Sansom, and Bring Up the Bodies, by Hilary Mantel.

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catleo) | 100 comments Can I nominate Mary Queen of Scots by Antonia Fraser.

Sorry I'm on my phone and can't smart link them in!

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (danimarissa) | 1 comments Jean Plaidy's Katherine of Aragon series.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Danielle, she also wrote the Daughter of England under the name of Philippa Carr, and the series is wonderful

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin Gretchen wrote: "The CrownThe Crown by Nancy Bilyeau

or

My Lady of Cleves: A Novel of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves[bookcover:My Lady of Cleves: A Novel of Henry VIII and Anne ..."

I have both those books on my to-read shelf and would love if that was choice.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1927 comments Alright, that looks like plenty of options - I'll go open a poll.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1927 comments The poll is open, and it's here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

It's also featured on the bottom of the group's home page.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1927 comments And the winner: Mary Queen of Scots, by Antonia Fraser.

message 18: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 106 comments Goooood book!

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catleo) | 100 comments Yey! Just collected my copy from the library today! It's a big one! Think I'll start reading it now to get through it by next month!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1927 comments We'll be discussing it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .