Classics Without All the Class discussion

May 2015- Till We Have Faces > Book 1, Chapter 1

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim (jborland) The first character appearing in the book is Orual. She is the aged queen of Glome, a small pagan kingdom on the borders of Greek civilization. Orual is the narrator of the story and she is looking back on her life. She wants to tell her story because she believes that the story of her life reveals that the gods have treated her unjustly.

Next we learn about the god of the Grey Mountain, the son of Ungit (Orual claims that this god hates her). He does not live in the house of Ungit so Ungit sits there alone. She is a black stone without head or hands or face. The Fox (a Greek slave) claims Ungit is the same as the goddess whom the Greeks call Aphrodite.

(Note: according to Greek mythology, Aphrodite is the Greek goddess of love. Her Roman equivalent is the goddess Venus, and the son of Venus is Cupid, the god of desire and erotic love).

Also in this chapter we meet the Priest of Ungit. Orual admits to being afraid of him (he had a holy smell about him).

What is your reaction to the custom of cutting off a girls hair when her mother dies, meeting the Fox, and the Stepmother situation (remind you of any other Fairy Tales)? Anything else?

message 2: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 208 comments I read this book for another group a few months ago, so I'm not sure I can recall my thoughts on each section. I'll save my thoughts for the final chapter. I look forward to everyone else's thoughts tho!