Horror Aficionados discussion

Heart-Shaped Box
This topic is about Heart-Shaped Box
Group Reads > May Group Read #1 - Heart-Shaped Box

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scot (new) - added it

Scot | 639 comments The Winner of the Group Read poll this month is Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill.

Use spoilers, and enjoy!!

Tiffany King (tifking73) | 80 comments I'm in!!!

J.H. Moncrieff | 46 comments I'm in too. Just bought this one. :)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3487 comments Mod
Super fun read, you guys are in for a treat!

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
I'm passing on this because I have read it but I'm going to join in the others. have fun!

Elisabeth Zguta (zguta) Good Choice

Vicki Willis I am going to start this one too. I just borrowed it from my sister in law. I haven't read anything by him before so I am excited.

Greg | 10 comments Vicki Willis,

If you like Heart Shaped Box, you might like some of Joe Hill's other work:

NOS4A2
Locke & Key - great graphic novel series
The Wraith - graphic novel that is the prequel to NOS4A2

Greg | 10 comments So as you get into this one, do you consider Judas a victim or a villain? Does a grudge transcend death?

message 10: by Kristy (last edited May 04, 2015 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristy (kristabela) | 121 comments I've read this three times. Love the story and the characters. This novel is right up my alley. Wish I could find more like it.

message 11: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick (rook916) I loved Hart Shaped box, Horns however wasn't as good. I'm going to read Nos4a2 next

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments I read this a million years ago, I have it but will start it a little late as I want to try the other two, plus I'm reading on 10 books right now. Some are netgalley, they all come in at one time. It never fails.

message 13: by Vicki Willis (new) - added it

Vicki Willis It is taking me a bit to get used to the style. I keep getting confused and thinking I missed something and I go back and then I read on and it gets explained.
The way the ghost (view spoiler) is really creepy to me.
I am about 50 pages in, but I am hooked.

message 14: by Lisa (last edited May 05, 2015 06:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa | 69 comments Hello all, new here and I'd like to join in on this. Can anyone point out the rules to a group read? Thanks. So far I've just finished chapter 22. The main character is certainly completely unsympathetic to me, in fact, the only characters I like so far are the dogs.

message 15: by Ulio (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ulio | 3 comments Never read anything from Joe Hill but heard good stuff about his work. I am probably only going to read this one for this month unless I finish it fast, doesnt seem like a long book.

Alison Sumprer | 8 comments I love Joe Hill. This book is super creepy.I also have to agree that you should definitely check out N0S4A2 if you like Heart-Shaped Box. Both are fantastic.

message 17: by K.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 160 comments Really enjoyed this one. I may jump in and reread it, but am in the middle of several other books at the moment.

message 18: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick (rook916) I was surprised to find out Stephen King is his dad, I feel Joe is a way better writer.

message 19: by K.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 160 comments Rick wrote: "I was surprised to find out Stephen King is his dad, I feel Joe is a way better writer."

If you'd seen a picture of him you'd immediately have known they were related.

Tracy Fobes (tracyfobes) | 8 comments i had no idea that stephen king was his dad. interesting! going to pick this book up as soon as i finish the shuddering.

Monica Go | 563 comments How are you liking the main characters? I felt very attached to Judas and Georgia at the end.

message 22: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick (rook916) I really wanted to know what happened to Judas after the book ended, I wouldnt mind reading about Judas wether or not its "supernatural"

message 23: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg | 10 comments Monica,

I got more attached to Jude and Marybeth (MB) when they left New York and headed south. What they went through from then on really drew me into their situation even more.

Monica Go | 563 comments I understand!

message 25: by K.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 160 comments Ashley wrote: "I have read all of Joe Hills work to date and feel each book has been better than the last but he doesn't seem very prolific I finished NOS4R2 close to its release and am still awaiting news of his..."

His next novel is called The Fireman I believe and isn't coming out until 2016

message 26: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg | 10 comments I recommend checking out some of Joe Hill's graphic novel work: "The Wraith" (prequel to NOS4A2), "Locke & Key", and "The Cape".

message 27: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick (rook916) I really wanted to read Horns but after seeing the movie in netflix (which I didnt even put 2&2 together) I kind of dont now.

Monica Go | 563 comments You should read Horns. The movie kinda sucks, but I loved the book.

Jeremy Hurd-McKenney (jtcontinental) I read this one awhile back--a pretty decent and scary debut novel.

message 30: by H.M (new) - added it

H.M | 28 comments I just started this one last night. Liking it so far. I'm at 10%. Anyone else finding it a bit hard to like Jude? Im trying my best though!

Char  | 14251 comments Mod
I hope you enjoy this one, H.M. I thought it was quite good. :)

message 32: by Brett (new)

Brett Talley | 235 comments Started out real slow. But I stuck with it, and it picked up. Enjoyed it in the end, but I don't think it is as good as some people.

message 33: by H.M (new) - added it

H.M | 28 comments H.M wrote: "I just started this one last night. Liking it so far. I'm at 10%. Anyone else finding it a bit hard to like Jude? Im trying my best though!"

Thanks, Char. I'm getting right back into horror.

message 34: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 938 comments H.M wrote: "I just started this one last night. Liking it so far. I'm at 10%. Anyone else finding it a bit hard to like Jude? Im trying my best though!"

I just started and I'm about 1/3 through.

Ghost is interesting. I'm wondering who all is in on this.

message 35: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg | 10 comments Figuring out Jude's character wasn't as simple as it seemed it would be in the beginning. There are "layers".

message 36: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 403 comments I never thought Jude was an awful being, just somewhat flawed and eccentric.

The story did pick up somewhat halfway through and the second half I read in a fraction of the time of the first half.

Florida's sister on the other hand...yuck. There is an awful person. Even though she sees nothing wrong with her actions, yuck.

message 37: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg | 10 comments Anna's sister and Craddock, yes the true evil of the story

message 38: by H.M (new) - added it

H.M | 28 comments Sorry guys, I got to 19% and when I read the part where (view spoiler)

message 39: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 403 comments How is that less believable than Craddock can manifest a 'pin' to stab Georgia and give her a giant infection, (the following reasons it's not so far out of the realm of believability and occur later in the book) (view spoiler)

As far as ghost 'powers' his aren't that far out there. Remember the episode of Buffy when Willow 'scanned' a demon into the computer and his hacking ability within 24 hours of being scanned was so sophisticated that it wasn't even funny? At least Craddock was alive to know what a computer and email was...

message 40: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg | 10 comments I thought MaryBeth got that "sickness" from bringing Anna into this world through her.

message 41: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 403 comments No, remember when she opened the box and pricked her finger even though Jude couldn't find a pin? Her finger keeps getting worse and worse after that.

Jude realized an association from the finger prick to Anna's habit of poking herself with something sharp. The infection might've helped "link" her to Anna for the later doorway stuff.

message 42: by H.M (new) - added it

H.M | 28 comments Myst wrote: "How is that less believable than Craddock can manifest a 'pin' to stab Georgia and give her a giant infection, (the following reasons it's not so far out of the realm of believability and occur lat..."

Yes, that's true, myst. I just think maybe I'm a wimp when it comes to horror and scare easily, so was looking for a reason to put it down lol!

message 43: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg | 10 comments Myst,

I was thinking about when Marybeth was getting sicker after she and Jude used the Ouija board. Thanks for the reminder.

message 44: by Pamellia (new) - added it

Pamellia (michiganparents) Way back in the days of old there was another book by this title. I was thinking, "What a bunch of progressive thinkers to read and discuss such a mundane story." I felt a sense of pride and well a bit of a beatnik, dare I say....then I saw Joe Hill and all my fantasies blew away in a balloon....

message 45: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa | 69 comments Hahaha, you know Pamellia, you are seriously dating yourself when you use the word beatnik, when I was eyeglass shopping about 8 years ago I used that term and the girl laughed along with me and then asked me what exactly that was.

Jessica | 82 comments Just finished this. Really disappointed - the story was all over the place and very strange but not in good way, and I didn't care for the characters at all.

I was looking forward to Heart-Shaped Box a lot as Horns is one of my favourite books and NOS4R2 was good. Joe Hill's work is a bit of a mixed bag for me so far.

Nichole Holdorf | 3 comments This was the first time I have read anything by this author and found it quite good. It didn't seem creepy or scary but it was good. I liked the writing and will try another one of his books.

Nancy (erskigal) | 38 comments This was a page turner plus for me!! LOVED IT!

Dennis Anthony | 33 comments I liked it a lot too. Better than some of his other books,IMO. Great writing genes in the family!

Dennis Anthony | 33 comments Jessica wrote: "I was looking forward to Heart-Shaped Box a lot as Horns is one of my favourite books and NOS4R2 was good. Joe Hill's work is a bit of a mixed bag for me so far. "

I agree, Jessica, that Joe Hill is a mixed bag. But I really liked (didn't expect to, going in) HSB, but couldn't slog through NOS4R2. Different strokes, I guess!

« previous 1