The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Journey to the Center of the Earth
Group Reads 2015 > May 2015 Group Read - Journey to the Center of the Earth

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo | 1092 comments This is to discuss May's group read Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne.

The Scribbling Man (thescribblingman) | 137 comments True Story: I started reading this yesterday and then found out it was the group read today - convenient!

I read half of this when I was about 12 but never got round to finishing it... Other than that this is pretty much a fresh read for me.

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo | 1092 comments I've never read it either. I must admit I wasn't totally looking forward to it as last time round we read From the Earth to the Moon which in places was quite a dry read with lots of very detailed scientific descriptions - and I normally enjoy science. I've only read the first few chapters but this one seems a bit more entertaining and not too much in depth science (at least so far).

Buck (spectru) | 896 comments Joel wrote: "True Story: I started reading this yesterday and then found out it was the group read today - convenient!

I read half of this when I was about 12 but never got round to finishing it... Other than..."

I forgot that this was on our poll, even though I voted for it. I might even have been the one who nominated it. I jumped the gun and heard the audiobook version last month.

Jo wrote: "I've never read it either. I must admit I wasn't totally looking forward to it as last time round we read From the Earth to the Moon which in places was quite a dry read with lots of v..."

This is my third Verne, I think, including our group read last year. I didn't particularly care for Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, for the very reason you cite. It had long taxonomic lists of of the sea creatures they observed, which detracted from the adventure aspects.

Journey to the Center of the Earth had a bit of that, but it wasn't too terribly overdone. It's a reasonably entertaining adventure. I haven't seen the Brendan Fraser movie, but his picture was on the cover of my book.

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo | 1092 comments Having just finished I wonder how this was perceived at the time and whether it was something new and ground breaking, I really can't tell.

It's quite enjoyable and fast paced, I liked the professor and the fact he just decided to make a journey to the centre of the earth within days of having the idea. If this was written now it would have required years of planning!

*Kashi* | 1 comments I really enjoyed this book. and he predicted or maybe "Knew" a few things that we discovered recently.

message 7: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4077 comments Mod
I tried listening to this as an audio book, but didn't like it. Not sure if I'll get around to reading it or not. I pulled out my old paperback of it, but that belonged to my father & wants to fall to pieces. I do have an ebook copy, though.

message 8: by David (new)

David Merrill | 240 comments I've read this a couple of times and really enjoyed it when I did, but I don't think I'm up for a reread just now. It's been a while since I read Verne. I know I started From The Earth To The Moon last year, but didn't manage to finish it.

I've been scarce here lately because I've gotten back to working on my own novel. I hope I finish it this time.