Year of Cosmere discussion

Elantris Discussion > Chapter 57 - Epilogue (inclusive)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kitty G Books (new)

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Hi guys!!! Well done you guys made it to the end of the book!!!! :D :D :D I hope you all liked it or enjoyed the readalong and discussion at least!

Let me know what you would rate Elantris overall?
Was it a good debut book?
Is it on par with other Sanderson books you've read?
What did you think of the way everything wrapped up?
How do you feel about the characters?
Would you like a sequel (there is talk of him writing one at some point in the future but no definite date)?
How did you like the magic/politics balance?
How does it compare to other debuts you've read by other authors?
Can you see the beginnings of Sanderson's style emerging?

Please feel free to discuss and answer any of the questions listed and also to tell us how you enjoyed the books as a whole. You may also post your video/written reviews in here for us to read/watch :)

Thank you all for joining me (and now come and read The Emperor's Soul with me - if you haven't already! :)

message 2: by Alreem (new)

Alreem | 10 comments WOW this book is really AMAZING, I know some people says this book is not a 5 star book, but the thing is that it is for me, GOD I can't believe how good this book is .. I loved the magic in this book and the story behind the Elantris and it is magic. Also, the politics in this book is really great as well and the thing i loved the most is the strong female character and The Prince who do his best to help other even when he also need the same help. a really great debut book.

message 3: by Kitty G Books (new)

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Alreem wrote: "WOW this book is really AMAZING, I know some people says this book is not a 5 star book, but the thing is that it is for me, GOD I can't believe how good this book is .. I loved the magic in this b..."

I 100% agree with you, this was my first Sanderson and I adored it and still do because it's still so unique and wonderful to read. And, yes, strong female characters are great to see!

message 4: by Maxwell (new)

Maxwell (welldonebooks) I finished! I wasn't as impressed by it as I have been by Sanderson's other books, specifically the Mistborn series. I gave it 3 stars. Not bad, but not brilliant in my eyes.

There were a few revelations that just seemed like they came out of nowhere, or at least didn't really serve much purpose to the story. Like when Sarene finds out her uncle Kiin was the pirate villain guy (can't remember his name) and might be the actual king of Teod instead of her father? That was a random reveal. And when Dilaf turned out to be the real villain, I wasn't at all surprised. I did enjoy how Hrathen's character transformed.

Also I wish we could've gotten a few more hints throughout the book about the topography and geography of Elantris and its surrounding cities so that the reveal would make a bit more sense in the end.

I am glad Sarene and Raoden finally got married! And I would be interested to read a sequel--as long as it was a bit shorter than this one because I felt Elantris dragged somewhat at times--to see how their lives change and how the magic affects them all.

message 5: by Kitty G Books (new)

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Maxwell wrote: "I finished! I wasn't as impressed by it as I have been by Sanderson's other books, specifically the Mistborn series. I gave it 3 stars. Not bad, but not brilliant in my eyes.

There were a few reve..."

I'm glad that you read it and enjoyed it, even if not as much as the other Sanderson books you have read. I think that it is quite clear that this book isn't as developed or cohesive as the later published books, and I think Sanderson seems only to get better and better as he continues to put stuff out. :)

message 6: by Milou (new)

Milou | 15 comments I Loved this book. I could barely put it down. I really enjoyed the politics. Although the magic was not as prominent as in Mistborn, I was surprised to find out I did not miss it that much. I adored the women. Sarene was amazing, and to see the woman pick up the swords and fight back filled me with joy. For me it was a 5 star read. I am very impressed by this debut book.

message 7: by Kitty G Books (new)

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Milou wrote: "I Loved this book. I could barely put it down. I really enjoyed the politics. Although the magic was not as prominent as in Mistborn, I was surprised to find out I did not miss it that much. I ador..."

Yay!! :D It was a 5* book for me too :D

message 8: by Rachael (last edited May 17, 2015 12:43PM) (new)

Rachael Hobson (bostonbookbitty) | 3 comments This was my first Brandon Sanderson book. So, I'm unable to compare it to his other books. I rated this 3.5 stars. I enjoyed the story. The characters' actions and decisions were clever. I especially enjoyed the storyline featuring Sarene and Hrathen. The beginning was slow, but that was ok. High fantasy usually needs that to really build into the story. I was prepared to rate this book highly. However, the ending disappointed me. Random plot points were revealed at the end. Plot points that, in my opinion, weren't necessary to the story. The explanations, when they were there, weren't satisfying. I feel like I missed something major in the story. I would like to see a sequel. I feel a sequel may save the ambiguous ending for me. I did like one thing about the ending. Hrathen got what he wanted. He did become Arelon's savior!

message 9: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 2 comments Definitely a 5 star book for me! Couldn't put it down! The magic was very interesting, even though it played a lesser part in this book. I loved the politics in Elantris. Definitely want to read more books like this!
Amazing debut and Sanderson's writing just gets better and better!

message 10: by Raquel (new)

Raquel V (raquelvcc) | 33 comments I have begun to read Sanderson with The Year of Cosmere, so I've only read the Mistborn trilogy and this. And Elantris, for me, is proof that I'm now hooked by Sanderson's reading no matter what! Yes, it was not quite as good as Mistborn, and I did miss the magic, even if only a tiny bit. But it's still a brilliant book and a 5* read for me. If I'm picky, maybe a 4.5, because I do agree that too much was revealed all at once in the end, and some of it was unnecessary (like Kiin being the pirate - I was honestly barely curious about why Kiin and Serene's father weren't speaking).
But the political entrigue shone brightly, and the magic system was really unique. I loved how the power was conected with the land. It made me think of Preservation and Ruin from the Mistborn series - like how the magic was a representation of a natural phenomena, not out of thin air.
I would LOVE to see a sequel. I think there is great potential there for growth, with the new discovered magic from the Fyordens (I forget how to spell it, sorry), Shuden's misterious dance, and other political possibilities.
I'm going to dive into the novella now!

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 55 comments I gave this book 4 star. Throughout almost the whole book I was sure it was going to be 5* but the last 100 pages or so dissapointed me. So many storylines were getting wrapped up that I felt a little overwhelmed. I still really loved it and would recommend it.

I have a feeling I missed something - was Galladon's backstory revealed at any point? I don't rememeber anything about that.