Year of Cosmere discussion

Elantris (Elantris, #1)
This topic is about Elantris
Elantris Discussion > Chapter 9 - 14 (inclusive)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaitlin (last edited May 02, 2015 01:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) Hi guys!!! Welcome to the discussion for Elantris! As always please don't post any spoilers for other books/ the ending of this book, only talk about the chapters listed as the topic name and those before :)

What do you think of Sarene now? Her chat with the King, how did you like that?
What about Raoden's situation?
And the Elantrians?
How are you finding this compared to the previous Sanderson books you have read?
Do you like the more political style?
Or do you miss there being more magic?

Let me know your thoughts on any or all of the questions below! :)

Maxwell (welldonebooks) | 6 comments Mod
Okay, I admit I really miss the magical aspects after having read Mistborn. This one is definitely all politics. So I hope the Aon Magic system comes into play a little more later on! It was cool to see Raoden start to sort of understand the magic with Galladon's help/books.

Sarene is definitely still my favorite character. I love when she plays dumb and manipulates the king. The ball scene was great! Sanderson writes those party scenes really well. Though I am hoping for a bit more drama or conflict to start soon. Hrathen seems like an ominous figure, but I feel like Dilaf is the one we really need to look out for.

Shuden is a new favorite character. He seems so nice and smart. I liked his quote,"I have often found that no matter what the circumstance, it is most useful to be oneself...The more faces we try to wear, the more confused they become" (p.199 UK edition). And I also really like Sarene's uncle and aunt. They seem like genuinely nice characters so far. But as with Sanderson books, I've learned not to really trust anyone. Because it does seem Kiin has some history that maybe lost him his title?

Can't wait to see what happens next!

Krazyaboutbooks | 3 comments I don't miss the magic system as much as I thought I would. I also find that this book is not slow paced like the mistborn books as it took me a while to get into those books. I think this 'curse' is probably a potion.

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) Krazyaboutbooks wrote: "I don't miss the magic system as much as I thought I would. I also find that this book is not slow paced like the mistborn books as it took me a while to get into those books. I think this 'curse' ..."

Interesting thoughts and I am glad you're finding it an interesting read. I certainly found it to be a page turner and a very interesting book :)

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) Sarah-jane wrote: "I am struggling to get into this book at the moment. While I am actually reading it I find that I am really enjoyable but it is taking so much effort to really pick it up again.

I find Hrathen a ..."

You know you may be onto something there with the 'dad issues' :)

Sophie | 54 comments This is great! The thing with Karata and her daughter was really sweet (and saddening). I laughed out loud at the part where Raoden and Karata just walked up to the Elantrian guards and asked to be let back in. Haha!

Is it just me who cannot stop picturing Marsh (from Mistborn) whenever Mareshe is mentioned? It's driving me insane!

I find the politics very interesting. Onto the next part - yay!

Skye (skyepieonthefly) This definitely has less action then the Mistborn books and is more of a slow burn novel. I like that though. It's fun to see all the court drama.

The king is driving me nuts though. Sarene seems just about ready to slap him. I'm interested to see how her women's fighting gang is going to work out. I wonder how many of them are playing dumb as well.

I think Kinn is going to be an interesting character. There is at least going to be some revelation about his past.

I'm almost more scared of Dilaf then I am of Hrathen. His craziness is either going to screw up Hrathen's plans or the others. I'm afraid he is going to incite some mob mentality and do something crazy.

Raoden is awesome. I love how his plans are working out. I hope he starts getting the Aons to work because that will make things really interesting.

Skye (skyepieonthefly) This definitely has less action then the Mistborn books and is more of a slow burn novel. I like that though. It's fun to see all the court drama.

The king is driving me nuts though. Sarene seems just about ready to slap him. I'm interested to see how her women's fighting gang is going to work out. I wonder how many of them are playing dumb as well.

I think Kinn is going to be an interesting character. There is at least going to be some revelation about his past.

I'm almost more scared of Dilaf then I am of Hrathen. His craziness is either going to screw up Hrathen's plans or the others. I'm afraid he is going to incite some mob mentality and do something crazy.

Raoden is awesome. I love how his plans are working out. I hope he starts getting the Aons to work because that will make things really interesting.

message 9: by Elad (new) - added it

Elad Bannett | 11 comments Something I forgot to mention before: I love Kiin's family. It feels very real and organic. The easy-going older brother, the younger siblings who are constantly squabbling (it kind reminds me of my relationship with my sister).
Dilaf is starting to become more relevant now. He may be insane, but even if he isn't he still is a huge threat. Honestly he scares me now more than Hrathen. You can reason with Hrathen, he is a very intelligent man, if ruthless. Dilaf is so convinced that he is right that a) he begins to question whether Hrathen is the best man for the job of converting Arelon and b) won't listen to any other side of an argument, no matter how reasonable. So if he decides that you're a blaspheming heathen and that you have to die, no one and nothing will dissuade him from that goal.
I don't know why, but the political aspect doesn't grab me as much as the rest of the story. Sanderson is good at writing it, but he's just so much better at writing the fantasy aspects of his books that I find myself craving them instead.
Anyway, I'm exited to see where it is going. It feels like it's going to be awesome.