Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

A Small Death in the Great Glen
This topic is about A Small Death in the Great Glen
Book Club Selection > May 2105 Group Read - A Small Death in the Great Glen by A.D. Scott

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 4042 comments Mod
A Small Death in the Great Glen by A.D. Scott

Both probing character study and a driving novel of suspense, here is a novel that will linger in your mind like mist over the Scottish glens . . .In the Highlands of 1950s Scotland, a boy is found dead in a canal lock. Two young girls tell such a fanciful story of his disappearance that no one believes them. The local newspaper staff—including Joanne Ross, the part-time typist embroiled in an abusive marriage, and her boss, a seasoned journalist determined to revamp the paper—set out to uncover and investigate the crime. Suspicion falls on several townspeople, all of whom profess their innocence. Alongside these characters are the people of the town and neighboring glens; a refugee Polish sailor; an Italian family whose cafÉ boasts the first known cappuccino machine in the north of Scotland; and a corrupt town clerk subverting the planning laws to line his own pocket.

Together, these very different Scots harbor deep and troubling secrets underneath their polished and respectable veneers—revelations that may prevent the crime from being solved and may keep the town firmly in the clutches of its shadowy past.

Discussion Leader - Fanficfan44

Right people this is currently now only £1.99 on Kindle in the UK. My advice is get your copy now before the price goes up as I don't believe it will go any lower than this and with Amazon you can't guarantee when it will change.

Link for Amazon UK book is:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Death-G...

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments Unfortunately still pretty pricey on Amazon.com. If it is too much to spend, check your local library. My library system actually has five copies.

E-bay is also worth a look as well. You can often find a good second hand copy at reasonable prices.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments Some questions to consider while reading:

What do you think of Annie's story of the "hoodie crow" and does the family dynamic contribute to her story not being understood and explored fully?

There is a multitude of characters and storylines, do you think this added to the depth or complexity of the story or do you think it distracted from the murder mystery?

How authentic did you find the setting, both time and place?

This book seemed to pull stories from recent headlines about abuses in orphanages/work houses, corruption in the priesthood, and intolerances surrounding immigration. Does this add to the story for you?

Have to say having read this I was a little disappointed. I thought they really didn't get going on searching or finding killer until nearly half way through the book. It seemed to me to be too much padding about the newspaper and Mrs Ross and a woman and a job just after the war.
The pushing and concentrating on Mrs Ross and how her hubby treated her and that women didn't work or was frowned on just after the war is admirable but did not need the amount it took up in the book. It detracted from the main story for me. The author needed to make up their mind if this was a mystery and concentrate on that or if it was a historical book covering some social issues of the time and concentrate on that. In the end it achieved neither as one for me took away from the other. It was a shame as the mystery itself was quite well thought out and could have been a really good story.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments David wrote: "Have to say having read this I was a little disappointed. I thought they really didn't get going on searching or finding killer until nearly half way through the book. It seemed to me to be too muc..." I totally agree..a case of not being sure of the genre and so not performing well in any category. If anything, I would say that for me it seemed more like historical women's fiction than anything.