Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > May 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 370 (370 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3669 comments Beginning of the month finds me halfway through Dorothy Gilman's The Clairvoyant Countess, psychic Madame Karitsa helps police with cases. Sixties setting not quite as dated as might seem, but still there. For one thing, she has no television herself, but at a gathering a guest had brought a "portable set" so they could watch a specific program, that and making urgent calls from the nearest payphone. Not a bad book if you're looking for something gentler. Narration is good.

Also trying out Ngaio Marsh's series featuring Roderick Alleyn in 30's London: Artists in Crime. Slightly underwhelming so far. Good thing I'm a Wanda McCaddon/Nadia May fan.

message 2: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3274 comments I finished Taken in Death--decent novella--and then finished Concealed in Death. This leaves only two books until I'm up to date with the series. This last one had a good concept, but Dallas was a little too hard nosed regarding the letter of the law and disregarded the effect of her battering ram techniques on innocent bystanders, imo. I also have to wonder about her interactions with the new forensic anthropologist--unnecessarily antagonistic toward a highly competent professional. The story also ended with what felt like a whimper rather than a bang. Sigh, maybe it's just too much Dallas now that I'm nearing the end.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue | 240 comments I just downloaded The Folded Clock: A Diary, which I was thrilled to discover is narrated by Tavia Gilbert. It should get me to and from Vermont this weekend and then some, at 9 hours.

First, I need to finish up Columbine, which I have not been enjoying - if it's a book one can enjoy. I don't like the structure of the narrative or the narration and am not learning too many new things.

message 4: by Nospin (new)

Nospin | 232 comments Just finished The Seventh Angel - a military techno-thriller with great female characterization. The narrator did a great job.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1521 comments Listening to Untamed - hits several different challenges for me

message 6: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 199 comments Sue wrote: "I just downloaded The Folded Clock: A Diary, which I was thrilled to discover is narrated by Tavia Gilbert. It should get me to and from Vermont this weekend and then some, at 9 hou..."

I thought Columbine was a fantastic book, but I read the print version.

message 7: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 199 comments Finished up Waistcoats & Weaponry this morning, it's on par with the first two. I find love triangles exceedingly boring, but other than that there was a lot of action in this one. Now to wait until November for the final book release.

What to listen to next... I'm considering downloading Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman, I started reading the hardcover back in February and stalled on it, so if I listen to the audio I'm sure to finish it. But there's also The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth, After the War Is Over, and a few Laurie Halse Anderson books to consider. Hm.

message 8: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Finished up Waistcoats & Weaponry this morning, it's on par with the first two. I find love triangles exceedingly boring, but other than that there was a lot of action in this one. ..."

Catherine the Great is fabulous on audio Mark Deakins narration is amazing!

I started Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke narrated by, Simon Prebble I've had this one on my TBL forever and now that it's coming to BBC America this summer I thought I'd finally get it listened to.

message 9: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 199 comments Just downloaded Catherine the Great. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Susie!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Finished up Waistcoats & Weaponry this morning, it's on par with the first two. I find love triangles exceedingly boring, but other than that there was a lot of action in this one. ..."

I loved Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on audio

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments I am listening to Does My Head Look Big In This? Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah simply because I love the Aussie narrator from other books. It is ok but I am finding the main characters piety a little too much at times.

message 12: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Jeanie wrote: "I finished Taken in Death--decent novella--and then finished Concealed in Death. This leaves only two books until I'm up to date with the series. This last one had a good concept, but Dallas was ..."

Interesting. I think I commented on a "kinder, gentler Dallas" in this book. It is possible that you are OD'g on the books - I know exactly how addictive the series is, but friends on Ravelry have commented on this and other series, that 2-3 in a row are sometimes the optimum, before getting too much of a world/character. I also find that, if I've indulged in too many of one author's books in a row, I'm then spoiled for finding something else to read/hear.

message 13: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) John wrote: "Beginning of the month finds me halfway through Dorothy Gilman's The Clairvoyant Countess, psychic Madame Karitsa helps police with cases. Sixties setting not quite as dated as might ..."

I love Dorothy Gilman and didn't know her work was available on audio.

I'm very much enjoying Caitlin Moran'sHow to Build a Girl. Funny and touching but not recommended for anyone who is sensitive to swearing or sex scenes.

message 14: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3669 comments The sequel to this story of hers is not available, so I ordered a print copy.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1521 comments CatBookMom wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "I finished Taken in Death--decent novella--and then finished Concealed in Death. This leaves only two books until I'm up to date with the series. This last one had a good concept, ..."

i was wondering the same - I can't listen to more than about 3 of them in a row before everything starts to blend together

message 16: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3274 comments CatBookMom wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "I finished Taken in Death--decent novella--and then finished Concealed in Death. This leaves only two books until I'm up to date with the series. This last one had a good concept, ..."

Yes, Dallas was kind to her friend, but innocents directly involved or on the periphery like staff and residents of the HPCCY were collateral damage that didn't seem to matter to Dallas. She was sensitive to one person who still had nightmares, but ignores the trauma and possible nightmares her own investigation causes because it's merely part of the job. And, yes, I've probably over-binged, but it had been OK up till this one. Still, I've already started Festive in Death and am not surprised in the initial half hour that she isn't overly gentle with Trina, her personal hair-Nazi. ;)

message 17: by Marilee (new)

Marilee (hatchling) | 97 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Finished up Waistcoats & Weaponry this morning, it's on par with the first two. I find love triangles exceedingly boring, but other than that there was a lot of action in this one. ..."

I was underwhelmed by the book Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman. I know it's heresy to criticize the author Robert Massie, but as I am a casual student of Russian history, I felt he used too many questionable sources for many of his assumptions in the book. Of course he uses Catherine's own autobiography, but that was written as a legacy for posterity and as such is more propaganda and has an agenda driven bias, rather than being an historically accurate and complete biography. Other sources he quotes and uses are often other modern authors. I admit I'm a stickler in preferring going to original sources instead of re-hashed modern assumptions. Catherine was such a fascinating character, I felt she deserved better.

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna Robbins | 226 comments MissSusie wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Finished up Waistcoats & Weaponry this morning, it's on par with the first two. I find love triangles exceedingly boring, but other than that ther..."

MissSusie, I hope you enjoy Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell; I listened to it years ago and loved it. Give it time - if memory serves, it's a book that takes a while to bring the main characters' threads together. It's also an all over the place kind of book, which suited me (I was interested in all the corners of Clarke's universe!) but it annoyed some people.

message 19: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments Donna wrote: "MissSusie wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Finished up Waistcoats & Weaponry this morning, it's on par with the first two. I find love triangles exceedingly boring, but ot..."

I am enjoying it but was a bit shocked when I realized it was 32 hours long. However it's keeping my interest and everyone says it picks up speed later so I think I will enjoy it all!

message 20: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I really enjoyed the story and narration of The Company You Keep. Kept me engaged throughout. I guess if I had to find some fault, I'd have to say that these are by far the most "literary" emails I've every read. :)

Next up: The Garden of Evening Mists.

message 21: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1061 comments Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell has a lot of footnotes referring to nonexistent sources and traditions. I read it in print and wonder how those are handled on audio.

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 163 comments Finished Abhorsen, Tim Curry is a fantastic narrator and I love this series. I just wish I could have a Disreputable Dog now...
There is a fourth book Clariel (a prequel apparently) but my library doesn't have it in audio, dang.

message 23: by Donna (new)

Donna Robbins | 226 comments Robin wrote: "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell has a lot of footnotes referring to nonexistent sources and traditions. I read it in print and wonder how those are handled on audio."

I don't know how the footnotes appeared in print but in the audio the narrator just read them as they came up, probably starting with "Footnote 1..." (and maybe finishing with "end of footnote" although I don't really remember). I do remember being amazed at the number and length of the footnotes, some were entire vignettes; the footnotes seemed in keeping with the structure of the rest of the book though which at times felt like a collection of stories.

message 24: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 199 comments Catherine wrote: "Finished Abhorsen, Tim Curry is a fantastic narrator and I love this series. I just wish I could have a Disreputable Dog now...
There is a fourth book Clariel (a preq..."

ooooh I didn't know Tim Curry narrated the Abhorsen books, I'll have to look those up! I read Sabriel a few months ago and really liked it.

message 25: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand | 13 comments "message 395: by John, Moderator
Here are some you might enjoy: The Impersonator (historical fiction), Fin & Lady: A Novel (sort of a weird crossover of "historical" fiction (1960s) and YA), and Wild Things (YA)."

I'm enjoying The Impersonator so far. Thanks John!

message 26: by Marilee (last edited May 02, 2015 11:07AM) (new)

Marilee (hatchling) | 97 comments Donna wrote: "Robin wrote: "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell has a lot of footnotes referring to nonexistent sources and traditions. I read it in print and wonder how those are handled on audio."

I don't know ho..."
Footnotes in Audio Books are a tricky issue, especially when they're technical or detailed. In one recent listen, Cleopatra: A Life, the footnotes were short and interesting little tidbits of extra information or clarification. The narrator did an excellent job of first saying "footnote…" which kept everything clear. The source material was at the end of the book so it didn't interrupt the flow of the narration. I thought it was an excellent biography, by the way, very well narrated.

message 27: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 216 comments I quickly finished Divided in Death and just started The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. It will keep my busy as it is 35 hours long.

message 28: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3274 comments I finished Fantasy in Death. This is the book where Dallas is less abrasive and more embracing of her friends and family--up to a point since she still doesn't embrace Peabody's pink! The crime wasn't quite as compelling but all the Christmas doings intermixed were exactly what I like. Only one book to go and I'm up to date... I'm almost sorry to be caught up.

message 29: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Kathleen wrote: "I just started The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. It will keep my busy as it is 35 hours long."

It's wonderful on audio. I've listened to it several times. (Like others mentioned in the Listening While Falling Asleep thread, I prefer to listen to a story I already know when falling asleep.)

I'd like to find more books narrated by Juliet Stevenson.

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna Robbins | 226 comments Storyheart wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "I just started The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. It will keep my busy as it is 35 hours long."

It's wonderful on audio. I've listened to it several..."

Glad to hear good things about that book; it's been on my list for a while.

message 31: by Donna (new)

Donna Robbins | 226 comments I finished Trail of the Spellmans; I've really enjoyed this comic series, will read the last book soon.

Also listened to one of Pratchett's juvenile books, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents narrated by Stephen Briggs; it was a cute story, but hated the voices of a couple of the main characters - weird, I like Briggs narrations of Discworld novels (I slightly prefer his to the older Nigel Planer versions), but just couldn't warm up to this one.

Now back in Three Pines with A Trick of the Light. I'm so glad to have heard of this series from this group!

message 32: by Sandy (last edited May 03, 2015 07:57AM) (new)

Sandy I just finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, narrated by Lenny Henry - a Brit with Caribbean roots. A wonderful match of narrator and character. The story was quite good as well; excellent humorous vignettes.

message 33: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 316 comments The Signature of All Things sounds good and my library has the Cd version which is now on hold for me. Thank you, Donna and Storyheart.

message 34: by John, Moderator (last edited May 04, 2015 07:20AM) (new)

John | 3669 comments Started What Is Visible earlier today. Not sure about the storyline itself, as Laura Bridgman is rather ... tart, but perhaps she matures? Narration is excellent!

(After an hour, decided not to go on)

message 35: by Sue (last edited May 04, 2015 08:14AM) (new)

Sue | 240 comments I started The Folded Clock: A Diary and while I normally love Tavia Gilbert, her narration for this book isn't working for me. It may be because I've heard several interviews with the author and I think she has a wonderful voice and would have done a fantastic job narrating her own book, especially since it's in a diary format. I'm going to stick it out, though.

message 36: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 950 comments I finished The Republic of Thieves a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it but not as much as the first 2 books in the series. Next up, starting today is The Secret Place.

message 37: by Nancy (last edited May 04, 2015 10:16AM) (new)

Nancy | 258 comments I will wrap up The Reversal today. It's a good Grisham-ish legal book that's been quite engaging. I like the series and the narrator so it is one I will keep picking up along the way.

Next up is You, as found on these boards. Love getting ideas from here for books I would likely never find on my own!

message 38: by Sue (new)

Sue | 240 comments Can't wait to hear what you think of You. It's not for everyone, by a long shot, but I loved it!

Nancy wrote: "I will wrap up The Reversal today. It's a good Grisham-ish legal book that's been quite engaging. I like the series and the narrator so it is one I will keep picking up along the w..."

message 39: by Dave (new)

Dave In Hollywood | 93 comments Donna wrote: "MissSusie wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Finished up Waistcoats & Weaponry this morning, it's on par with the first two. I find love triangles exceedingly boring, but ot..."

I am one of the people who really, really dislikedJonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, so if you find yourself disliking it, you have my sympathy. It was just way too passive for me. There was very little action, and what little there was happened "offstage." Drove me crazy.

I have dropped Ripper and have moved on to I Am Pilgrim. I like to try and vary my genres and it has been a while since I've read any "manfiction" as I call it.

message 40: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3274 comments Finished Obsession in Death and thought it was absolutely fantastic. It's rare that an author can actually top themselves when they already have fifty stories in the series but this was really great. My In Death nbinge is done and it's more than appropriate that the last current book was Obsession! I'll be re-reading them with a friend, but that's going-to-sleep reading.

message 41: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3669 comments Last night, I started The Other Side of Midnight, which I found tough to put down. If you're into 1920's (mystery) novels, with a paranormal angle, this one's for you ... kind of reminds me of an American book of that period: The Impersonator.

message 42: by Fran (new)

Fran Wilkins | 543 comments Everyone is listening to something good and I'm literally slogging through Adam Bede by George Eliot and narrated by Wanda McCaddon. I loved Middlemarch and this isn't even half as good in my estimation. ARGGHH. I have too much time invested not to finish it. McCaddon is a lifesaver, but I think I would have liked it better in print.

message 43: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3274 comments I finished a short story prequel to the Soul Screamers series, Fearless. It gives more background for an interesting character from the series, Sabina. But I found myself scratching my head at this character's moral justifications for how she solved a problem at the end. I'm wondering if it reflects the author's philosophy or solely that of the character?

message 44: by Catherine (last edited May 04, 2015 07:33PM) (new)

Catherine | 163 comments Wrapped up Zombies Vs. Unicorns a fun short story compilation to persuade the reader to vote in favor of either zombies or unicorns as the superior creatures. All tongue in cheek, of course...say, would zombie tongues actually STAY in their cheeks?! Pure silliness. Between the various authors and narrators I enjoyed some stories better than others. I still haven't cast my vote...

message 45: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1061 comments Janice wrote: "I finished The Republic of Thieves a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it but not as much as the first 2 books in the series. Next up, starting today is The Secret Place."

I felt the same, that 3rd book dragged, though I still liked it.

message 46: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1061 comments I've been cleaning out books that had been on my TBR the longest and enjoying them all. They are600 Hours of Edward, which I liked so much I went on to Edward Adrift, The Case of the Missing Servant, which I liked so much, I added sequels to my wish list, Just One Damned Thing After Another ditto, and The Wake of the Lorelei Lee: Being an Account of the Adventures of Jacky Faber, on her Way to Botany Bay, which reminded me how much I love that series (still 4 books left).

I also loved As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride, narrated by Cary Elwes but with cameo voices by many of the actors.

message 47: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3669 comments "Edward" has been on my TBR for a while -- wasn't it a Daily Deal?

message 48: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Ferguson (ruthdfw) | 94 comments I am listening to Something Wicked This Way Comes am I loving it no - but I am listening.

message 49: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3274 comments Ruth wrote: "I am listening to Something Wicked This Way Comes am I loving it no - but I am listening."

I contemplated getting that in the recent Daily Deal, but I passed it up because creepy simply isn't my thing. I'll be interested to hear your final take on it.

In the mean time, I finished a second short story from the Soul Screamers series, Last Request. Amanda Roncone narrated the series and these short stories. It's always nice to hear AR's voice but this story was only meh. It filled some holes in the series but had some holes of its own.

message 50: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3274 comments Robin wrote: "I've been cleaning out books that had been on my TBR the longest and enjoying them all. They are600 Hours of Edward, which I liked so much I went on to Edward Adrift,..."

Oh, I loved As You Wish! And I also really enjoy the Vish Puri series.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.