Literary Exploration discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Book-Club Books > Call for Nomination for the Books about Books Poll

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
July's is a books about books theme, so we need some book nominations. Let us know what book you are suggesting.

Rules
* can't nominate your own book
* only one nomination per person
* first 6-8 books will be chosen
* need to tell us why you are suggesting this book
* be respectful of other people's choices

suggestions can be found at https://www.goodreads.com/genres/book...

message 2: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) I would like to nominate "The Year of Reading Dangerously" - I believe the author is Andy Miller but may have that wrong, will check!

I am nominating this book because I've heard it's very funny and I am intrigued to read some of his insights on particular books.

message 3: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) just to confirm I was right, it is Andy Miller :-)

message 4: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Leanne wrote: "just to confirm I was right, it is Andy Miller :-)"

Nice one, I really enjoyed that book and want more people to read it

The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books (and Two Not-So-Great Ones) Saved My Life

message 5: by Laurie (new)

Laurie I will nominate A Little History of Literature which is sort of an overview of how literature has developed over the years. The book's description may sound kind of stuffy but it definitely isn't. I read it last year and it is rather entertaining.

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) I am not sure this fits our motto for the upcoming poll, but my pick appears on the "books about books" list on GR. I'm nominating Alberto Manguel's A History of Reading.
From what I've heard it is very much what it says on the tin, so I assume it will be not only about books but about the act of reading (and writing, I believe). I own the illustrated edition (quite the chunkster) and it looks really interesting.

If the nomination is unsuitable, ignore it.

message 7: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Both look like good reads, I'm excited for this theme, but we need a lot more books.

message 8: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

actually I'm going to nominate one too. This looks like a very interesting read and I would love to discuss it; How to Be a Heroine: Or, What I've Learned from Reading Too Much

message 9: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I would like to read all of the books nominated. I'll nominate The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop: A Memoir, a History by Lewis Buzbee.
"... celebrates the unique experience of the bookstore--the smell and touch of books, getting lost in the deep canyons of shelves, and the silent community of readers."

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nantown) | 46 comments I would like to recommend The End of Your Life Book Club.

message 11: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.