Booklr Book Club discussion

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
This topic is about A Darker Shade of Magic
Monthly Discussions > May Read: A Darker Shade of Magic

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maya (wandsofcypress) | 28 comments Mod
Yessss im super pumped to read this!! Hope you enjoy this book :)

*no spoilers without warning*
*respect everyone's opinions*

ella_peach (aelinashryver) | 9 comments Yay! I've wanted to read this book since it came out

Ashley Marie Sammy I deleted the other post since it was a duplicate ;)

Helen (cooksbooks78) I am excited for this one. My copy arrived the other day, really looking forward to reading this!

Helen (cooksbooks78) I am excited for this one. My copy arrived the other day, really looking forward to reading this!

message 6: by Danny (new) - added it

Danny (whimreason) Looking forward to this one. Feels like it's gonna be a good read.

Ruthie | 29 comments Looks like it's time for me to put in my monthly book order *rubs hands together* I know what book will be first on the buying list ;)

Allison (thedraftedpage) Can't wait! I've been wanting to read this since it came out.

Abbie (boneseasonofglass) (abbie1411) | 1 comments Just finished reading this, I really liked it! :)

message 10: by ella_peach (last edited May 13, 2015 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ella_peach (aelinashryver) | 9 comments Oh my gosh I just finished this a few minutes ago, and wow was it amazing! The world building (or worlds building, haha) was really really cool, I loved the idea of different Londons (and how the city is basically the same throughout all the worlds).
I liked how the magic was different than in most fantasy books. The language of magic was super intriguing.
Kell was an awesome hero. The Antari was a cool concept, I liked how they could use blood to use their magic. Kell was a really realistic MC, I thought.
I loved Lila so much. She reminded me a lot of Deryn Sharp from the Leviathan books (Anyone read those?) She was such a badass right from the start.
(view spoiler)
All in all, it was a fantastic read, wholly enjoyable. I gave it 5 out of 5 stars.

message 11: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished this on the plane! I LOVED IT. I don't have time for a full review...but I will get to it soon.

message 12: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished this on the plane! I LOVED IT. I don't have time for a full review...but I will get to it soon.

mochi ☁️ (deathsdaughter) Just starting this book! A bit late for me, but the library had holds.

Ruthie | 29 comments Yeah, I ended up passing on buying it cuz I didn't really want to spend full price on a book by an author I haven't read before (I'm a cheap skate) and my library is taking foreeever getting it to me! so I'm in the same boat Belle ;)

Angelica | 9 comments Same here but mine just came in so I'll start in on it tonight :)

Angelica | 9 comments Same here but mine just came in so I'll start in on it tonight :)

Ruthie | 29 comments Mines still not here. *grumble, grumble*

Helen (cooksbooks78) I really enjoyed this and I am eagerly anticipating the rest of the series! Great pick, thanks x

Gervan (gjalvi) Ella wrote: "Oh my gosh I just finished this a few minutes ago, and wow was it amazing! The world building (or worlds building, haha) was really really cool, I loved the idea of different Londons (and how the c..."

(view spoiler)

mochi ☁️ (deathsdaughter) I couldn't get into this book. (Unpopular opinion, I know.) I enjoyed the premise as well as most of the characters I met, but I just couldn't get into the feel of the writing. :/

I might try it again at a later date! Looking forward to June's selection!

message 22: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna | 13 comments Just picked it up yesterday and started reading... hopefully I'll finish in time to talk to you guys about it.

Ruthie | 29 comments The library is being sloooooow at getting it to me. I'm not going to get to it this month. I'll let you guys know what I think whenever I get to it ;)

message 24: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna | 13 comments Finished it a few weeks ago, and then completely forgot about how I was going to tell you guys about it... whoops... so here's my review:

I should probably preface by saying that this is the first piece of popular fiction I’ve read from my library’s “adult” section; I generally read YA. That being said, I had some issues with this book. Interdimensional travel, dark magic, no overdone romance, with a fascinating cast of characters all around - what could possibly be bad about this book? And, yes, it was an addictive, enjoyable read. Both the characters and the world were interesting - but underdeveloped. Especially Red London: I would love to read more of Rhys and his guards and the court and culture and life of this other London filled with magic. I found the writing to be slow, which didn’t lend itself well to the urgency of the plot, making me feel like I was slogging through too many words to actually accomplish something. And when things did happen, they seemed to fall into place too easily. I’ve heard so many good things about this book, and the summary was so intriguing, but it turned out to be a not as good version of A Thousand Pieces of You.

I am glad I read it though, especially considering I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise!

Ruthie | 29 comments I finally got this one! I know, almost a month late XD I really enjoyed it, but I agree with some of the issues that other people mentioned. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the series, and the author as a writer, develops.