Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Archives (maybe Revisit) > Series Read: Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
Thread for the series buddy read of the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness

Books:
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3) by Patrick Ness

Rules & How to
1. Identify the book you are commenting
2. Comments that give away any plot must ALWAYS be under spoiler tags

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Does a start date of June 7th sound good to anyone? My May is already packed with other buddy reads and BOM selections and then I'll be out of town for a little while.

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments June 7 is perfect. May is full for me.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in. the 7th is great.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I've read the first two and will try to catch you all for the last book. I'm not a big fan of YA, but these are great!

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Great! This is my first informal buddy read. Should we have some type of schedule for the read? Maybe reading one book every two weeks? I've looked at other buddy reading threads and it looks like everyone just posts say: Chapter 1-5 and then has a spoiler tag for that, or for whatever chapters you just finished reading. Does that sound like something we should do?

message 9: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments We can either make a schedule (but seeing as I don't have the book yet, I can't make it) or we can post up to where we are. Whichever one you all are more comfortable with. I vote for the schedule because I tried to read this book before and DNF'd it.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I vote schedule, that way we're all on the same page.

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments I can work on a schedule if most people want that. How about whoever wants to join in on the read along post whether or not you'd like to have a schedule by May 15th. Then if the majority of us would like that (and BTW I'd vote for a schedule, too!) than I will take care of it. I'm thinking of reading one book every two weeks. The first book is 479 pages (trade paperback version), so that would be about 240 pages a week. That would be good for people who won't have the time to read the book that quickly. Then we wouldn't have to worry about spoiler tags that much if we don't post about anything that goes beyond what the scheduled pages were so far for that day. Does this sound like a good plan?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

that sounds good.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ladygator71) | 19 comments Sounds like fun.. Count me in!

message 14: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Hey, anybody started yet?

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Hi, Joi! We discussed at the beginning of this thread that we are going to start on June 7th since May is pretty full already with other read alongs and BOM. Next week I will post a schedule where we pretty much read one book every two weeks. I wrote more details about that in the posts above. I hope this sounds good to you and you can join in then!

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Hi, everyone! I finally finished making the reading schedule for the first book in the series, The Knife of Never Letting Go. I have us reading the first book in 12 days. It’s the shortest book in the series, so I don’t think it should take everyone the full two weeks to read it. Please let me know if there is a problem with this schedule because I am more than happy to change it around if it doesn’t work for most people.

So, for example, the schedule says for June 15th we were to have read through chap 24. Say it was June 15th and you wanted to post a comment, just make sure you weren’t leaving a spoiler for anything that would happen past chapter 24. I hope this is clear! This way it might be easier than always having to tag things as spoilers all the time.

Around June 14th, I’ll post the reading schedule for book #2 which will start on June 21st.

Reading Schedule for Chaos Walking Trilogy

June 9th The Knife of Never Letting Go Chp 1-3

June 10th TKoNLG Chp 4-7

June 11th TKoNLG Chp 8-11

June 12th TKoNLG Chp 12-14

June 13th TKoNLG Chp 15-18

June 14th TKoNLG Chp 19-21

June 15th TKoNLG Chp 22-24

June 16th TKoNLG Chp 25-27

June 17th TKoNLG Chp 28-31

June 18th TKoNLG Chp 32-35

June 19th TKoNLG Chp 36-38

June 20th TKoNLG Chp 39-end

message 17: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments So far I’m really enjoying this book! I’ve heard several people say they couldn’t get into the writing style, but I’m finding it a unique and clearly crafted first person POV. And I’ve always liked reading stream of conscious writing. It makes the book flow really well for me and I can read it quickly. The world building is great so far, and I hope we get lots more details. Some of the strange spellings are a bit jarring, but hopefully it won’t be that annoying to read.

And I have so many questions I need answered! Does Todd have something to do with the rip in the Noise? What was he supposed to learn on his birthday? Who were the Spackle and where have they gone? Why did the Noise germ just kill the women? Is there a reason why the Spackle wanted the women dead besides the obvious answer that there would no longer be any more people in the world after the men died out? I’m very engaged with the story so far!

Lots of great metaphors, too, that parallel our society, too, like how we construct the truth in our heads to make the world into how we want it to be and not necessarily how it really is.

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments It's been a few days since I've commented, but I finally caught up with reading up to where we are scheduled for today. I'm still REALLY enjoying this book! I've quite a few YA dystopian (and this seems like a mash up of sci-fi and dystopian), and this so far has been the most engaging, well written one I've read so far.

I think the pacing of the book is well done. It's a nice mix of character development and engaging plot. Having several mysteries running throughout the story really keeps me engaged and interested.

The book is not perfect. Some little things still annoy me, like the character of Viola. She seems unapproachable and annoying at times. But since Todd is telling the story and this is how he feels towards her, I guess that's how we should be feeling, too!

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments So far no one else has commented on the reading. Has anyone else started reading the book yet? What are your thoughts? Please discuss with me :)

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannonbaggins) | 83 comments I know this is late but I didn't even know it was a buddy read and I just finished reading the whole series.

Just thought I would mention that I really did enjoy the series, but I thought that book three was a bit of a let down to the end of this. I loved the first two books though

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Christina wrote: "So far no one else has commented on the reading. Has anyone else started reading the book yet? What are your thoughts? Please discuss with me :)"

I read the series quite a while ago and loved it. I remember thinking that about Viola as well. I think your opinion may change!

message 22: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments I kind of stopped reading the series since it seemed like this buddy read just fizzled out, but I do want to continue the series. My August is really packed with buddy/group reads plus other pre-orders, but I'm hoping to pick up the series again in September or October and finish before the end of the year.

Glad to hear that book 2 is good, but disappointed about book 3. Hopefully I'll like it better than you did, Shannon! I'll jump back on this thread and let you know what I thought when I finish reading those books.

message 23: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannonbaggins) | 83 comments It is definitely a good series, I hope that you do enjoy book 3 more though. I had mixed feelings about it. I did enjoy it but I thought it was a bit of a let down. probably because I enjoyed the first two books so much that I couldn't help but compare them (I won't say too much more but I didn't like how it ended).
It'll be great to see what you think!

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilythebooknerd) | 1388 comments The Ask and the Answer- Up to Part II (pg. 70)
Todd's dialect doesn't seem as realistically done to me in this one, although I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just consistency again. Plus, him knowing words like oblivion conflicts with his poor grammar. I didn't really think about this in the first book, but it's surprising to me to what a degree Todd's (and Davy's) grammar has fallen in just one generation, when the older men from Prentisstown (like Ben and Cillian, and Mayor Prentiss) don't speak that way. I know Todd wasn't formally educated much, but a lot of how we speak is just copying those who we're around and who raise us. So I guess I find that a bit unrealistic.
This book is shaping up to be interesting, with both similarities (like the number of mysteries we're left wondering about, both left over from the first book and new) and differences (the fact that (view spoiler)) to the first book. (view spoiler)
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Emily (last edited Sep 22, 2015 05:42AM) (new)

Emily (emilythebooknerd) | 1388 comments The Ask and the Answer- Up to Part III (Pg. 148.)
So far, I'm not liking this book as much as the first. I'm not disliking it either, but I'm not really sure where it's going or what the themes are. Plus, I think one thing I really liked in the first book was (view spoiler)
(view spoiler)
I'm wondering if (view spoiler)
Mistress Coyle is an interesting character. I certainly don't trust her, but I'd choose her over Mayor Prentiss (who's such a great and frightening villain!) any day, based solely on their respective interpretations of leadership. Mistress Coyle says that "being a leader is making the people you love hate you a little more each day," which while very cynical, doesn't seem untrue to me and shows that she understands that leadership should often be a burden. While Mayor Prentiss's view that "Leadership isn’t grown, Viola. It’s taken..." has, to me, a lot to do with everything that's wrong with the world.

message 26: by Emily (last edited Sep 23, 2015 12:08AM) (new)

Emily (emilythebooknerd) | 1388 comments The Ask and the Answer- Up to Chapter 23 "Something's Coming" (pg. 268)

I'm not liking (view spoiler)

I feel like this book is, at least so far, missing the opportunity for the deeper exploration of some issues, like terrorism. Ness has certainly gone deeper than just the surface, but I feel there's still a lot left less developed than I would like. He's got some great morally ambiguous characters and scenarios, though, and I like that he doesn't get preachy. Maybe this is just a further aspect of his tendency to leave a lot up to the reader.

Corinne has a very interesting outlook on the world. She said, "There is nothing more important in this life than the preservation of it... To allow someone, anyone, to suffer is the greatest sin there is.” And later, “Everyone here is someone’s daughter... Every soldier out there is someone’s son. The only crime, the only crime is to take a life. There is nothing else... To live is to fight... To preserve life is to fight everything that man stands for.” While I don't agree with her fully, I think she might possibly be the most moral of all the characters in this book. What do you think of her philosophy? Do you think (view spoiler)