Nordic Noir discussion

General > What should I read next?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Hawkins I have finished Mr. Larsson's Millennium trilogy and I was quite impressed. However I am not at a loss on what to read next, I see a lot of Jo Nesbo's stuff at my local Half Price but don't know where I should go from here? Any thoughts?

message 2: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I am a huge Karin Fossum and Hakan Nesser fan. Those are always my go to's and I am rarely disappointed.

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I'll second the Karin Fossum rec.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Hawkins now that I see her bibliography I remember looking into reading the waters edge, that's for the reccomends, ill take a look.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 14 comments I agree with Naomi.

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (anyone12345) Agreed. Karin Fossum {starting with Eva's Eye} and Hakan Nesser are both great... slow and steady nordic noir. I also like Arnaldur Indriðason.

message 7: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi D I agree with Karin Fossum. Henning Mankell my all time favorite. Sarah Blaedel also very good.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 14 comments You know, I think I like them all.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate Hawkins well this has certainly given me a lot to look at, thanks to you all

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen | 55 comments What about Johan Theorin's The Quarry" or any of his other books. All great.

message 11: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I need to read him, Helen. That is one author that I haven't taken a look at yet.

message 12: by Helena (new)

Helena Halme | 2 comments I love all above, especially Nesser. Have any of you tried Icelandic author Ursa Sigurdardottir?

message 13: by Helena (new)

Helena Halme | 2 comments That should be Yrsa, not Ursa!

message 14: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Edwards | 3 comments I've read a lot of Yrsa Sigurdarddottir and I would recommend it. I would start with the first book 'Last Rituals' as its the start of the series featuring Thora Gudmundsdottir, or you try a stand alone novel 'I Remember You' - chilling.

message 15: by Helen (new)

Helen | 55 comments With Yrsa I started with "The Silence of the Sea" loved it and then went on to read "I remember you". Loved it also. Then I read "Someone to watch over me". Liked it but not as much. then I read some of her earlier ones and gave up. Her later books are definitely better.

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate Hawkins if I get any more reccomendations my amazon cart is going to break

message 17: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments whistles innocently...

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 14 comments I've got 100 plus on my wish list. No time to sleep.

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Helen wrote: "With Yrsa I started with "The Silence of the Sea" loved it and then went on to read "I remember you". Loved it also. Then I read "Someone to watch over me". Liked it but not as much. then I read so..."

Interesting discussion......on many levels. I have learned the hard way to become cautious about recommendations and do lots of research on google and wiki before I buy now. I have seven books on iBook and they are IMO too long and okay only. I read from others now that the later books got better but because I read character driven series I jumped in! I'm on book three next. Will return I hope as she has been getting great reviews and praise on media for last two.
There are just so many GOOD reads out there......my advice leave the early books.

Yrsa Sigurðardóttir . Icelandic. All iBook. Tip from GRs ....

Þriðja táknið (2005), (English translation by Bernard Scudder: Last Rituals, US:2007, UK:2008). √
Sér grefur gröf (2006) (English translation by Bernard Scudder and Anna Yates: My Soul to Take, 2009) √
Aska (2007) (English translation by Philip Roughton, Ashes to Dust, UK:July 2010)
Auðnin (2008) (Veins of Ice) (English translation by Philip Roughton, The Day is Dark, UK:2011)
Horfðu á mig (2009)
Ég man þig (2010) (English translation by Philip Roughton, I Remember You, UK:October 2012)
Brakið (2011) Someone to Watch Over Me 6
All above iBook February 2014!
Kuldi (2012) The Silence Of the Sun 7 PRE ordered iBook 27/2/2014

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Anyone tried Scribd. Any comments......
Described as Netflix for readers! Unlimited ebooks and audio for a monthly $8.99 after a month free.....many publishers joined. Searches by author really show a bit listing......

message 21: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments i have scribe, but i just joined and haven't looked for any NN authors yet

message 22: by Sharon (last edited May 06, 2015 08:32AM) (new)

Sharon Dee wrote: "i have scribe, but i just joined and haven't looked for any NN authors yet"

Am on my free month and downloaded Night Train to Lisbon as I always heard about it and the film. So far found best results when searching by author for Scandinavian and various authors then book by book. Quite a few big publishing houses adding books frequently. Am such an iBook fan but spend a lot so the unlimited books for monthly fee is very attractive! Sure never regret a day of trusty Netflix. Love it......great value for money.
Btw on Netflix a very good Danish series, two seasons so far, is RITA!

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Update re Scribd.
Just downloaded some Scandinavian short stories and several Anne Holt books......