The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver question

What do you think happened at the end?
Elizabeth Elizabeth Apr 30, 2015 11:16AM
Tell me what you think happened at the end of the book, The Giver. Do you think Jonas and Gabe died? Did they live? What do you think?

I am glad you asked this question as I wanted to know what others thought.I went back and reread the end to refresh my memory. I think their Earthly life did end but they were hearing the music of Heaven calling to them.
"seemed to lead to the final destination, the place that he
had always felt was waiting, the Elsewhere that held their
future and their past"
What a beautiful story.

I dont remmeber what exactly happened but Jonas saw a house at the end of his journey didn't he? He also heard singing. In the second book, it features a community that has different cultures and norms from Jonas'. It was also a world of colour. The people in the community has this something like a ritual where they sing about their history or something like that. I think that's what he heard when he was on his journey to that place. Jonas and the baby lived. The baby actually grew to a young teen when he started questionning his origin. That was in the last book if I'm not mistaken.

Everyone in the community feels emotions at the end of the book. And yes they survived(Jonas and Gabe)

Joanne (last edited May 13, 2015 08:17PM ) Apr 30, 2015 07:32PM   0 votes
There are another three books and you'll find out when you read them but before i read them i guessed they lived because Jonas saw the sled in one of his memories and knew where he was