Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

General > Everyday Chat

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

Emily V (xemilyx) | 687 comments Mod
I feel like this group could use being a bit more social so here is a thread just for general chat and interactions!

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments Power outage in Clapham poggered the trains for the entire day today.

Bloody annoying for the trip home from work.

message 3: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

That sounds frustrating! I only need to take the train very rarely so I don't often come across such annoyances. I was once stranded in Aberystwyth for half a day though due to train difficulties.

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments I had to Google where Aberystwyth is!

It was actually my birthday yesterday and I'm now 36... which means I'm now closer to 40 than 30.

It feels weird, but I reckon I'm as much of a twat now as when I was 18.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic Michael Cargill wrote: "I had to Google where Aberystwyth is!

It was actually my birthday yesterday and I'm now 36... which means I'm now closer to 40 than 30.

It feels weird, but I reckon I'm as much of a twat now as w..."

Not to worry, Michael. Being a twat is quite normal at any age. I'm 67, and my four adult children constantly remind me that they are patiently waiting for me to grow up.

message 6: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

Tut tut, that's not good geographical knowledge Michael!
And happy birthday for yesterday!

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments That's good to know, Jim, and doubly reassuring to hear that it's something that isn't just limited to one country.

Thank you, Emily!

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments Just bought a ticket for the Ireland vs Romania rugby world cup match in September.

I'm neither Irish nor Romanian, but it was the only one taking place near me that was neither sold out or stupidly expensive.

message 9: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

I have never seen any to change sporting events and I don't intend to change that anytime soon to be honest.

message 10: by Narayan (new)

Narayan Liu (narayanliu) | 16 comments How is everything in the UK at the moment? I adore Springtime there, especially toward the south of England. Perfect blend of natural and historic beauty and the hustle and bustle of modern life.

message 11: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments We had a General Election here in the UK last week, and I've only just stopped sulking about it...!

The weather is picking up, which is nice, so relaxing in the garden is becoming a popular hobby once again.

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments It's getting hot here in MA and soon enough it will be so hot that I'll be lucky if I can write anything without feeling unbearable lol. Better finish this book soon!

message 13: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments Hilary, this really isn't thread for posting links to your blog.

message 14: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

Don't even get me started on the election!

message 15: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments I was all set for staying up until about 4am on election night, snacking away on Pringles and spicy peanuts as the results trickled their way in, when BAM!

That exit poll was like a knife through my heart.

I still ate the Pringles though.

message 16: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

I went to bed the moment the exit poll was released feeling defeated

message 17: by Rupert (new)

Rupert Copping | 2 comments so did I

message 18: by Narayan (new)

Narayan Liu (narayanliu) | 16 comments Haha I wasn't going to mention it but...yes, I'm really disappointed in how your General Election turned out. It's strange how the conservatives won though, isn't it? I had heard they were losing to the labour party.

message 19: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

What's strange is the fact the tories won but no one I've spoken to voted for them and the majority of the country don't want them.

message 20: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments Most of the polls leading up to the election had the parties more or less neck and neck once you factored in the margin for error, which is why the result was such a surprise.

The Tories got a majority in Parliament even though they only got something like 36% of the overall votes. It's a common consequence of our First Past the Post system - it's rare for any local MP to get voted in with more than 50% of the votes.

message 21: by Glen (new)

Glen Stansfield (fenderjedi) | 6 comments Aaargh no! Not the election. Moved to Bahrain to get away from it and it followed me

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic Speaking of elections....

Many politicians often boast that they have dedicated their life to seeking and holding political office, even though the private sector's monetary compensation is so much better.

What they fail to state is the fact that, in order to be chosen to fill an executive level management position in the private sector, one must actually be qualified and have a proven track record for managing and making intelligent and correct decisions the vast majority of the time. Professional politicians seldom have to worry about actually being held accountable for performance and results. There is always another election down the road and, sadly, voters' memories tend to be short.

message 23: by Glen (new)

Glen Stansfield (fenderjedi) | 6 comments And then they join the boards of said companies, after 'serving the nation' and get money for old rope.

message 24: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments Elections are bum.

I guess moving to Bahrain would solve the problem if you're looking to avoid them entirely...

message 25: by Glen (new)

Glen Stansfield (fenderjedi) | 6 comments Elections here are fun...molotovs...tyre burning...bit like London really

message 26: by Jac (new)

Jac Fitzenz | 8 comments I was scheduled to go to Bahrain just before the roof fell in. I'd been there before and didn't miss anything about not getting back.
Dr Jac

message 27: by Emily V, Head Mod (new)

My laptop is currently broken so unfortunately I cannot set up the next group read or send out any announcements so I hope some of you see this. I haven't abandoned the group!

message 28: by Graham (new)

Graham Garrity (grahamgarrity) | 8 comments Supermarket shopping today. My trolley had a wonky wheel.

message 29: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments Last comment was in 2015?! Yikes! Let's get this back up and rolling again. How is everyone and what are you up to? Anything personal or fun you'd like to share? Things going good from a marketing standpoint? Let's get some talk going again!

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Yay!!

I'm here in sunny Arizona where it will be 90 degrees today!!

Hope everyone else is warm and looking forward to spring!!

I'm off to do some reading!!

Happy Thursday everyone!!

message 31: by L.J. (new)

L.J. Kane (l_j_kane_author) | 12 comments Justin wrote: "Last comment was in 2015?! Yikes! Let's get this back up and rolling again...."

Hi. I've just joined the group today and found this rather lonely thread that needs a bit of TLC! I'm currently writing my first draft of my second novel, while catching up with GR and emails. My schedule's a bit hectic at the moment, but I'd love to see what everyone else is up to!

message 32: by Bertalan (new)

Bertalan Thuroczy (tberci) | 1 comments Hi folks,
I'm Bertalan, the author of Believe, Live, RUn, which is about my unlike journey from a village to becaome a biomedical engineer.

In a nutshell, I was raised up in a small village in Hungary. On my way sometimes spiced with desperate situations, finally I graduated in 2018 at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME) as an engineer. My disease and commitment inspired me to interconnect my engineer job with my personal contact and also the healthcare: by going on with my studies, I obtained master degree at the joint biomedical engineer programme of the BME and Semmelweis University.

I've written a book about my story, inlcuding cancer, sport, health and engineering aspects.
Please, check it out on my page, if you are interested in these topics.

Give me a feedback, drop me a message about you opinion!:)

Best wishes,
Bertalan

Believe, Live, Run: A story about having faith Believe, Live, Run A story about having faith by Bertalan Thuroczy