The Very Omnibus Bookclub! discussion

Road Trip! > Intro

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
Here starts the trip! I hope you’re excited! Pack what you need and grab your books because its time!
We are going to travel through authors and books alike to gain the knowledge and wisdom and hopefully share your favorites to :) We will travel the roads of words and hopefully at the end you will have learned a thing or two.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Road trip!

message 3: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) | 717 comments Mod
Sweet! How do we start?

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
It starts tomorrow :)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "It starts tomorrow :)"

but i guess i can start it tonight :)

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
You have loaded up the car and are off! you feel the breeze and think of the fun you will have :) what 5 books do you bring on this glorious trip ? and what authors are they?

message 7: by Katelyn (new)

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2) by Tahereh Mafi Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier and The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken .

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver by Lauren Oliver Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson by Morgan Matson The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin by Michelle Hodkin Me Before You by Jojo Moyes by JoJo Moyes and Partials (The Partials Sequence, #1) by Dan Wells by Dan Wells

message 9: by Sarah (last edited May 01, 2015 11:47PM) (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
You have been driving for a bit and the snack attack has come on full force! What book reminds you of what snack from the five you have chosen? and why?

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments I haven't read any of them! I'll just have to go by the covers and blurbs. Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver makes me think of a sour candy like lemon drops or sour patch kids. Bitter at first but turning sweet, then bitter and biting again when you have the next one. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson Makes me think of popsicles because the cover looks like summer. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin the cover looks a mystery movie and makes me think of a tub of popcorn at the movies. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes I found a blurb that said the main character works in a tea shop called The Buttered Bun. Being a carb-a-holic, that sounds like a fantastic place and some soft warm rolls sound amazing. They always do. Partials (The Partials Sequence, #1) by Dan Wells makes me think that snacks might be hard to come by. Probably something from a can. Maybe a surprise because the label is missing.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "I haven't read any of them! I'll just have to go by the covers and blurbs. Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver makes me think of a sour candy like lemon drops or sour patch kids. Bitter at first but turn..."

That was fun to read lol thanks Jennifer

message 12: by Katelyn (new)

Keep in mine that I have read exactly zero of the following books.
Amy and Roger's Epic Detour-I think of gas station foods as this is a road trip book so I'm going to say gas station nachos.
Ruby Red-fun fact: Ruby Red was originally written in German so I'm going to choose Käsespätzle-which is kind of like mac and cheese with fried onions.
Since You've Been Gone-ice cream because of the cover.
Unravel Me-Cotton candy-looks amazing but also looks like it could kill me (gorgeous cover though!).
The Darkest Minds-trail mix as it looks adventurous and surprising.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
The treats were fantastic! but now you feel like putting on some awesome music. What 5 songs do you listen to?

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
You start to think of past road trips you have taken and what fun things you did. You replay them in you're mind and smile at the thought :) tell us about a road trip you took and what you did!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
You end up at a fork in the road. You can go left into a small town or turn right and just keep driving. What on do you choose?

message 17: by Katelyn (new)

Sarah wrote: "You start to think of past road trips you have taken and what fun things you did. You replay them in you're mind and smile at the thought :) tell us about a road trip you took and what you did!"

I took a road trip to Texas with my friend Cassie. We had thought about it before but on the day before school ended, we decided to leave the next day after work. We had no plans except for our final destination. We ended up staying in some random hotel on the way and ended up at a party by the lake as well. Once there, we went to a water park, ate way too much delicious fried food, and did a lot of other fun things. I stayed for a few weeks then flew back home when I was ready.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Okay, I'm going to play catch up a bit bc I'm behind. That music one got me. I carry two iPods with me everywhere that are loaded with 3k+ songs each. So, choosing 5 was really hard. I mostly tried to pick a variety of genres.
In The Summertime- by Jerry Mungo This satisfies an oldies need that is a happy necessity on any road trip.
Hook- Blues Traveler This has been a long time favorite of mine. I love blasting it in the car with the windows down and singing along.
Shambala- Three Dog Night Classic rock is always high on my genre list. I'm a big Zepplin, Aerosmith, Steve Miller type of fan and Shambala is one I've rediscovered after making my own Supernatural soundtrack.
The Way I Am- Ingrid Michaelson I chose this for my need of sing-a-long music. Ingrid, Adele, Norah Jones, Michael Buble, and Jack Johnson are always welcome in my car.
Madness- Muse For something a little edgier I am loving Muse. This one has been on repeat off and on for a while now.

Next question is about previous road trips. I've taken several over the years. Some of my favorites are to our scenic Olympic Peninsula. I have a sister who is 13 years younger than me and I encouraged her to read the Twilight Series. So several years ago, after we had all read them, I packed my sister and best friend into a friend's SUV and we drove to Forks (jealous? :D ) for a day trip. We've actually made this trip a dozen or so times since it only takes about 3 1/2 hours from where I live.
I'm an occasional geocacher and I found a "Twilight Tour" multi cache before our first drive out there. We loaded up on refreshments and tunes (of course) and hit the road. We've been blessed with beautiful weather nearly everytime we've gone. I've taken other friends and family out there, even my mom. The scenery on the drive is gorgeous. If you have the chance, look up Lake Crescent. It's one of the highlights of the trip for views, in my opinion.

Last question. I'm not always as adventurous as I'd like so I'd have to say that there are deciding factors about whether I'd head toward the small town. On a road trip you come across so many little towns that it's easy to get in the habit of passing them by. If they have a touristy attraction, a funny name, maybe a cute used book store, a delicious sounding restaurant, or a bathroom then I'd be more likely to stop.

message 19: by Katelyn (new)

Sarah wrote: "You end up at a fork in the road. You can go left into a small town or turn right and just keep driving. What on do you choose?"

Keep driving!
Best song about road trips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKI9s...

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
you keep driving for a couple more hours and then you hit the gas station. If you were to run into anybody at a random gas station who would it be?

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Katelyn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "You end up at a fork in the road. You can go left into a small town or turn right and just keep driving. What on do you choose?"

Keep driving!
Best song about road trips: https://ww..."

I've been kinda stumped by this one for a couple days. I want to answer it but I honestly don't know how. I'm just not sure who to write down.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
while at the gas station you hear about a book sale going on in the next town do you go or just keep driving?

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Sarah wrote: "while at the gas station you hear about a book sale going on in the next town do you go or just keep driving?"

Duh.

BOOK SALE!

message 24: by Katelyn (new)

Book sale.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
You race to the next town eager to shop! what 2 books that are new releases would you get?

message 26: by Katelyn (new)

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas The Boogeyman by Lillie J. Roberts

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley and A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis (Doesn't actually come out until Oct. On my birthday! How cool is that!?)

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley and A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis (Doesn't actually come out until Oct. On my birthday! How cool is that!?)"

:) nice did you pree order them?

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Sarah wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley and A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis (Doesn't actually come out until Oct. On my birthday! How cool is that!?)"

:) nice did you pree order t..."

No actually I went looking for new releases to answer your question and found these. You helped me find them. I'm on a book buying freeze for now. :(

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy Harmon | 28 comments Sarah wrote: "while at the gas station you hear about a book sale going on in the next town do you go or just keep driving?"

Depends on how much money I have to spend on books. If I can't buy several books, I'm better off not even looking. It would just depress me.

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Amy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "while at the gas station you hear about a book sale going on in the next town do you go or just keep driving?"

Depends on how much money I have to spend on books. If I can't buy seve..."

Lol. Oh Amy, I feel your pain.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Amy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "while at the gas station you hear about a book sale going on in the next town do you go or just keep driving?"

Depends on how much money I have to spend on books. If I ca..."

I think we all feel amys pain

message 33: by Katelyn (new)

In that moment, we are all Amy. It's hard to go to a bookstore without being able to buy anything.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
You're on the road again and start to think of random sentences from different books and making up stories to keep yourself busy. At 80 page intervals take the first sentence you see on those pages and make up a story.
Example: page 80,160,240,320 and then take the first sentence on those pages and make a story.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Sarah wrote: "You're on the road again and start to think of random sentences from different books and making up stories to keep yourself busy. At 80 page intervals take the first sentence you see on those pages..."

So we can piece it together from different books?

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Sarah wrote: "You're on the road again and start to think of random sentences from different books and making up stories to keep yourself busy. At 80 page intervals take the first sentence you see ..."

that or one it's up to you

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
You made it to the beach!What fun activities do you like to do at the beach?

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments When we go camping it's usually in Ocean Shores (http://tinyurl.com/mznygn7) here in WA.
It's a little over a 2.5 hour drive from where I live. We go the same weekend as their Sand and Sawdust Festival. They do wood carvings and have food vendors/crafts in town and on the beach they have sand sculptures.

We do some sight seeing and shopping. They have scooter and beach bike rentals, horseback riding, ice cream and candy shops, and little souvenir shops. Sometimes I'll buy one of the cheap kids' kites and play with that for a while. We play in the sand, listen to music, stick our toes in the ocean, I'm always taking photos, and then we stop an eat at The Sandcastle. They have burgers and fish & chips. It's kind of a requirement.

There's also another beach a couple miles away from the main touristy beach entrance that is known for their agates. I love going there to hunt for the amber-colored translucent stones. I've found several, over many trips, and could spend hours searching.

On some of the more secluded beaches in the area we've played catch and some of the guys got their golf clubs out to hit a few balls.

A friend and I went once on a day trip and brought some bread to feed the seagulls and what resulted is one of my favorite profile pictures on Facebook- http://tinyurl.com/ksnd53z

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "When we go camping it's usually in Ocean Shores (http://tinyurl.com/mznygn7) here in WA.
It's a little over a 2.5 hour drive from where I live. We go the same weekend as their Sand and Sawdust Fes..."

Thats so cool! thanks for sharing!

message 40: by Katelyn (new)

I'm still working on the making a story one but I'll do the beach one right now.

I love the ocean and everything about it. I'd probably spend most of my time in the ocean. I enjoy boogie boarding, falling off surfboards, and getting eaten by sharks.

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Katelyn wrote: "I'm still working on the making a story one but I'll do the beach one right now.

I love the ocean and everything about it. I'd probably spend most of my time in the ocean. I enjoy boogie boarding..."

Lol Katelyn, this made me giggle.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
Katelyn wrote: "I'm still working on the making a story one but I'll do the beach one right now.

I love the ocean and everything about it. I'd probably spend most of my time in the ocean. I enjoy boogie boarding..."

:) don't forget the jelly fish!

message 43: by Katelyn (new)

Sarah wrote: "Katelyn wrote: "I'm still working on the making a story one but I'll do the beach one right now.

I love the ocean and everything about it. I'd probably spend most of my time in the ocean. I enjoy..."

Ewww, no jelly fish for me.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
What summery read are you reading at the moment? What other books do you plan on reading that have the summer in mind?

message 45: by Katelyn (new)

I plan on reading The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1) by Jenny Han Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins and Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson as far as summer goes. I'm going to try to find other summer reads as well.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 579 comments Mod
The end has come and its time to pack up and leave :(. You had a great time and wished it would of lasted longer but all good things must come to an end. Thanks for those who have joined this amazing road trip and i hope you all enjoyed it :) I will be getting in contact with the 3 that posted the most and get prizes going! thanks again and i hope to do something else soon!

message 47: by Katelyn (new)

Good job Sarah, that was fun!

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 248 comments Yay! This was fun and you had so many topics! Thank you.