Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > How to get reviews posted before book release

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Crane (pamela_crane) | 23 comments In looking up upcoming book releases on Amazon, I find books that aren't released yet with tons of reviews. However, while my book was on pre-order my review feature was disabled until release. How do others enable reviews before release? I see this a lot with best-selling authors...

message 2: by Maurice (new)

Maurice Miller (mauricegmiller) | 116 comments Pamela wrote: "In looking up upcoming book releases on Amazon, I find books that aren't released yet with tons of reviews. However, while my book was on pre-order my review feature was disabled until release. How..."

I would love to know this too as my debut novel is currently in pre-order status.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Barclay (shellcastle) | 15 comments You could offer review copies by sending the file directly to reviewers in their preferred format.

message 4: by Quoleena (last edited Apr 30, 2015 07:14AM) (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) Shell wrote: "You could offer review copies by sending the file directly to reviewers in their preferred format."

Pre-release ARC reviews can be posted here on Goodreads, but they want to know how to get them posted onto Amazon when there's a notice that says the book is not eligible for reviews, since it hasn't been released yet.

Good question.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Two ways: #1 the book is through a publisher who has a contract with Amazon stipulating that prerelease reviews are allowed. Or #2 the book was previously released and unpublished or has an active paperback version already synced.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Barclay (shellcastle) | 15 comments Ah, I read that wrong. From what I found in a cursory search, it looks like some writers will release one format and allow the reviews to pile up before releasing it in another format. It may be worth checking to see if these books are already available in Kindle or print.

message 7: by Pratik (last edited May 01, 2015 02:38PM) (new)

Pratik Patil (pratikspace) | 18 comments Pregnancy and Men

I don't think reviews before release is possible in general. There are some paid professional review services though, but that could be costly.

For my recent book, I published in paperback last month, did a small marketing, got something like 20 sold from amazon, half of those people reviewed it back on amazon, some on goodreads and today I published in kindle format which is widely used format now a days, but for kindle users they are already seeing the reviews through my paperback sales so it helps in that way.

But there are some paid services like kirkus reviews and stuff where you can send your book pre-release and they will review your book officially but thats still just one review.

hoping this helps.

message 8: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Linder (haydendlinder) | 85 comments Hey Pratik,did you see tangible results from already having reviews when you did that?

message 9: by Pratik (new)

Pratik Patil (pratikspace) | 18 comments hmm its been only 1 day since my kindle book is released, i see only 4 downloads so far, not that great but not bad for first time author, so its too early to say at this point, but i will know it in a week or two. I think everyone does look at at-least a few reviews just to see what its like to have the book before they buy it, so personally think having at least a few good reviews surely helps.
I will do some more social marketing so more people know about my book and see how it goes.
If you don't have a publisher behind your book then experimentation is name of the game for first time authors. :) we have to keep trying until either many people notice it or one very important person notices it.

The first few reviews you most likely will get from some family member or a friend which helps and is very important to start with but after first couple its all about any random person buying it and reviewing it. and then your book's journey starts on it's own.

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele Wesley (michelewesley) | 2 comments Best of Luck Pratik. I sincerely hope your book does well.

message 11: by Pratik (new)

Pratik Patil (pratikspace) | 18 comments Thank you for the wishes Michele!