Fringe Fiction discussion

Fringe Fiction General Chat > Character Connection

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn I've just been inspired by a comment from fellow author B. Mamatha, who said she was once asked by someone (who was puzzled over her love of the book 1984), "then which character are you?"

I think that's a fascinating question, because it implies that we generally read (and enjoy) most those books in which we identify with the characters.

What do you think? Do most of your favorite books have a character that you "see yourself" in? Or are you more drawn to opposites or characters totally unlike you?

message 2: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Opposites, for me. Not everyone wants the kind of story in which a character can be substituted by the reader. I much prefer stories that transports me to another place, time, and mind.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 591 comments I want my hero(ine) to have qualities that I either see in myself or wish I had. I get very upset when I begin to enjoy a character and they evince some sort of game-breaking flaw.

That doesn't mean they have to be flawless, but I am not fond of protagonists who are not, at their core, good people. I do identify with protagonists, and it actually makes me upset when they "betray" me in that fashion.

message 4: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn I kind of have to base my answer on my favorites, of which I can definitely say I'm attracted to stories of opposites.

I'm such a boring,conservative person (i.e. you're more likely to find me and my hubby taking a nature hike than jumping nude into a fountain while on an experimental substance; is that an accurate analogy of a conservative vs. non-conservative lifestyle??) and have been blessed to have a very stable immediate family.

I feel like I tend to be drawn to those fascinating opposites whose lives I'll never be close to experiencing.

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Huh, interesting. I'm attracted to opposites for different reasons. At the risk of sounding like a spescul snowflake, I can't relate to "normal" people. At all.

message 6: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn Lily wrote: "Huh, interesting. I'm attracted to opposites for different reasons. At the risk of sounding like a spescul snowflake, I can't relate to "normal" people. At all."

Aw, that's ok. Special Snowflakes are the best :0)

message 7: by Renee E (new)

Renee E | 395 comments V.M. wrote: "*raises fist in solidarity* Lily, have you ever walked through those posh, affluent neighbourhoods with the perfect white facades and picket fences - and wanted to splash a few buckets of garish pa..."

I feel like I'm walking through a zoo.

Hmmm . . . there are several good stories in that . . .

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 506 comments Lily wrote: "Opposites, for me. Not everyone wants the kind of story in which a character can be substituted by the reader. I much prefer stories that transports me to another place, time, and mind."

I second that.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 591 comments It's the same reason I can't play "evil" in video game RPGs. I just can't force "my" character to make that choice :)

message 10: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) V.M. wrote: "*raises fist in solidarity* Lily, have you ever walked through those posh, affluent neighbourhoods with the perfect white facades and picket fences - and wanted to splash a few buckets of garish pa..."

And steal street signs? Nah, that would be wrong...

I do confess to buidling snowmen with mohawks on certain properties, just to freak people out... koolaid is a handy dye color...

So, basically, for me, the characters have to be even weirder than me. Like, really weird. Otherwise, I get bored.

message 11: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 388 comments Jason wrote: "It's the same reason I can't play "evil" in video game RPGs. I just can't force "my" character to make that choice :)"

Much like the reason I can't play "good" in those games! Wait, I mean...nvm...

I do try to relate to the characters when I'm reading, but I don't really see myself in them. I don't really look for opposites to myself either. I suppose I just enjoy all different types of characters. However, when I write, I do sometimes put myself into the characters, but I suppose all writers do that to an extent.

message 12: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Neutral reader! Quick, everyone send Quentin review requests.

message 13: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) QUENTIN, READ MY BOOK...oh wait, you backed me on kickstarter hahaha!

message 14: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 388 comments Neutral Reader? Is that sort of like Easy Reader? (Anyone get that reference? LOL)

*Prepares some snarky one star reviews just in case* :D

message 15: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 519 comments lolz yall silly.
i have yet found a character i relate to in books (i dont go lookin either and be surprised if i did find one). im pretty much whu...? when dealing with others because i dont have a right clue (never did) and guess (badly) majority of the time. so for me it's the overall adventure and character growth. that i have a better understanding of...