Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

The Three (The Three, #1)
This topic is about The Three
May-Jun 2015 The Three > How it Begins to Part Three (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Put your comments about this section here.

message 2: by Debra (last edited May 06, 2015 08:02AM) (new) - added it

Some creepy moments. Pamela's visions of ghostly people with blank faces and no feet... creepy. When a character looks at the boy in the hospital and sees him with blood welling in his eyes, and then sees his eyes are normal, that kinda gave me the creeps.

Sharon Yeah I think the no feet thing was the creepy bit, lol.
I did wonder if the way the book is set out with the interviews and transcripts was going to be a bit offputting but it's working for me :)

message 4: by Debra (new) - added it

I had a little problem getting the rhythm of it, but finally did.

The no feet thing was creepy, Sharon! Was she seeing the fabled ghosts?

Sharon There's no indication that she had heard the fables and stories of the forest so you would have to think she was actually seeing the ghosts and it wasn't a figment of her dying imagination, wouldn't you Debra?

Her message is typical of something I'd leave - worrying about the dog over everything else, lol!

I think the character I'm feeling the most for at this stage is Paul.

Sharon Love the last line of Part 3!

message 7: by Debra (new) - added it

Sharon wrote: "There's no indication that she had heard the fables and stories of the forest so you would have to think she was actually seeing the ghosts and it wasn't a figment of her dying imagination, wouldn't you Debra?"

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking they were ghosts!

message 8: by Debra (last edited May 12, 2015 05:10AM) (new) - added it

Sharon wrote: "Love the last line of Part 3!"

Will have to look that up! I finished the book so fast, I hardly made any notes. Glad I've hung on to the book, tho, so I can reference back to add more comments.

message 9: by Delores (new)

Delores | 11 comments Debra,
I am new to the group. Can you explain more about how it works. I am planning to read the next book(s) recommended for discussion. I would love to add you as a friend! Thanks for info - I look forward to taking part in the group!
Delores

message 10: by Debra (new) - added it

Delores wrote: "Debra,
I am new to the group. Can you explain more about how it works. I am planning to read the next book(s) recommended for discussion. I would love to add you as a friend! Thanks for info - I..."

Feel free to add me as a friend! The more the merrier.

As far as discussing group read books go, we always have a general discussion thread where you can talk about getting ready to read the book and not reveal any spoilers about what you may have read so far.

Then we set up sections for commenting on certain parts of the book and you can talk freely there about how it's going for you, ask others what they think about certain events that occurred in that section, and ask questions or just make observations.

Then there is an overall impression thread for writing about what you thought about the book as a whole and maybe include your rating.

Hope that helps!

message 11: by Debra (last edited May 14, 2015 01:15AM) (new) - added it

Sharon, that comment at the end of Part Three is disconcerting, for sure. Something like "Why did you let that thing in here?" Makes me think aliens or possession when I read that!

message 12: by Delores (new)

Delores | 11 comments Yes, thanks so much. All sounds good!

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I finally managed to finish this part of the book.

The writing style is unique. I'm not sure I've read a similar style before. It's a collection of blogs, interviews, chats, etc. There's some foreshadowing that really makes me curious as to what is going to happen.

Preacher Len is a smarmy character, but I thought his theory about the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse was interesting.

I haven't come up with my own theory as to what is going on. We have faceless feetless people and eyes dripping blood which make me wonder about vampire or possession.

message 14: by Debra (new) - added it

Janice, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War had a similar format to The Three. You might want to read that one. It was pretty good.

Smarmy definitely describes the preacher. And his theory is way out there, especially when he uses the colors to support it. Way out there in left field in my opinion. Of course, many will say we are living in the times of the apocalypse with all that is going on in the world right now. I pretty certain I won't be going up to heaven if the Rapture takes place!

Hadn't thought of vampires as a possible explanation, but the bloody eyes certainly did make me wonder what was going on!

Kristin | 38 comments I've read books with a similar style like this before. Where the story is told in third person and you never hear from the main character(s). It took a bit to get the flow of the book. I don't feels there's too much of a difference between the different story tellers.

I enjoyed the creepy bit about the ghosts and the last line of this section "How could you let that thing in?" So it has some potential to get extra spooky.

message 16: by Debra (new) - added it

Yeah that last line of this section is pretty creepy. What thing is she supposed to be exactly... an alien, a demon, what?

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I did get used to the style of the writing. I think the final chapters really pulled that particular style in. You learn that is Elsbeth's story. I hope that doesn't give anything away.

message 18: by Debra (new) - added it

Janice wrote: "I did get used to the style of the writing. I think the final chapters really pulled that particular style in. You learn that is Elsbeth's story. I hope that doesn't give anything away."

Yeah, I kept having to remind myself that the narrator was the author of the book she wrote about the three. I know that sounds confusing, but I think everyone who's reading the book gets that.

message 19: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1093 comments Mod
The firsthand look at Peggy's experience of her own physical damage and impending death was sooo personal. It has made all the other witness testimonials (so far) seem remote in comparison.

message 20: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited May 27, 2015 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I feel as though many of these testimonials/reports are just a grasp for some attention. However Preacher Len takes the cake. The association of the colors on the airplane logos to the apocalyptic horseman is a stretch. Especially since he had to discount the orange one, and refer to the black lettering instead.

I was immediately reminded of those black figures who came to collect the bad guys souls in the movie Ghost. Did you see that one?

On to part three.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Pastor Len had to make the circumstances to fit his theory. It seems to be the typical way that a square peg is forced into a round hole.

I thought of the Ghost spirits in that section as well. They had the same menacing feel to them.

message 22: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice wrote: " thought of the Ghost spirits in that section as well. They had the same menacing feel to them.. ..."

Yes they are menacing, and I don't like the thought of them taking Pamela. She wasn't a "bad guy"!

message 23: by Debra (new) - added it

Good reference to the movie Ghost, Almeta. Had forgotten that. I do hope Pamela didn't end up that way.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I agree with everyone's account for Pastor Len, one of the things that surprised me most, was how he took Pam's last message to be specifically for him, he was just her pastor, of course a close pastor with being part of his "inner circle" but I felt that message was clearly for her husband Jim.

I have finished this book, but I really enjoyed Paul's character, and his dreams of Stephen coming back to him and asking why he let that thing in the house?? I sometimes wondered if that was Jess, getting in Paul's head - so creepy!

You know when Pam saw those creepy things, I also thought of the movie Ghost - but then I discounted that thought because of Pam's relationship that she had with God, in the movie those black creatures were demons and Pam was Godly.

message 25: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2015 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Linda wrote: " I discounted that thought because of Pam's relationship that she had with God, in the movie those black creatures were demons and Pam was Godly. ..."

They could have been hanging around for the souls of the other passengers.☺ MAYBE?

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments That is possible Almeta!!!

message 27: by Debra (new) - added it

It's just never really explained. Ghosts, aliens, what?

message 29: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Olivia wrote: "I think ghosts."

Whatever they are...they are creepy!☺

message 30: by Debra (new) - added it

Wait til you get to the end, Olivia. You might not be so sure. lol