Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Food for Thought > The most ruthless heroes you've ever read

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Apr 29, 2015 05:31PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9736 comments Mod
Which heroes (and sometimes not really heroes) have you read that are really, really hardcore and ruthless?

Do you like this trait in a hero? What makes a hero 'ruthless' to you?

Which ones took it too far for you?

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I think Christine Feehan and Anne Stuart do these heroes very well.

Feehan hit it out of the park with Jake Bannaconni in Burning Wild. I can't say I've ever read a hero like him before. He is really and truly more of an anti hero.

I think that's why I'm so in love with the GhostWalkers and the Prakenskiis because they are pretty darn ruthless, but at the same time, putty in the hands of the woman they love.

Basian Toussiant was probably the most ruthless hero I'd read in my life at the time I read Black Ice the first time.

I freely admit I do like this in a hero. I mean, I don't want them kicking puppies or beating up old people and stuff like that though. :)

A lot of Stuart fans didn't like Lucien de Malheur, aka The Scorpion from Breathless. He was pretty over the top, but I Liked him because he reminded me of a cartoon villain.

Also Dmitry Medlov from Dmitry's Closet

message 3: by Tammy (last edited Apr 29, 2015 08:34PM) (new)

Tammy | 395 comments Hmm...I don't mind ruthless in the way that you describe. But I'm not a fan of plots where the hero has some kind of plan and maybe along the way forms a relationship with the heroine and ends up hurting her in some kind of way because he must stick with his plan. I can't think of an example right now so I hope that makes sense.

Also some of the books with Motorcycle Clubs take ruthless too far!! I'm a fan of mc's but I don't like cheating heroes or heroes that deliberately hurt the heroine.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Tammy wrote: "Hmm...I don't mind ruthless in the way that you describe. But I'm not a fan of plots where the hero has some kind of plan and maybe along the way forms a relationship with the heroine and ends up h..."

Oh, yes, those are interesting.

I think that's why I can't go in for the biker books. Plus I'm not a big fan of brutish, uncouth men. Maybe I'm stereotyping...

Paganalexandria  | 354 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) wrote: "Oh, yes, those are interesting.

I think that's why I can't go in for the biker books. Plus I'm not a big fan of brutish, uncouth men. Maybe I'm stereotyping...
"

I don't think you're stereotyping. I'm a huge biker romance fan, and part of the appeal is the rough, no rules, grit. Not a lot of polish. Sometimes the they might have another side though, like in Move the Sun (Signal Bend, #1) by Susan Fanetti , the hero is also a woodworking artistic genius, underneath the leather.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I read some reviews, and it's not for me, but I can see why you appreciated Move the Sun, Pagan. I like characters with layers.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) I loved the Signal Bend books. Susan Fanetti did a really good job of portraying the biker "heroes" as tough men, certainly on the wrong side of the law but with many facets to their characters. And some of the emotional moments between Issac and Lilli were swoonworthy.

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** wrote: " Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) wrote: "Oh, yes, those are interesting.

I think that's why I can't go in for the biker books. Plus I'm not a big fan of brutish, uncouth m..."

Sounds like I'd enjoy this one :)