.:.Book Bodega.:. discussion

Brooklyn
This topic is about Brooklyn
Book Discussions > May: Comment As You Read | Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sammee (new) - added it

Sammee (chasing_sammee) | 379 comments Mod
May: Comment As You Read | Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín. Leave your thoughts here as you are reading. Just make sure to say which chapter you're on so that there are no spoilers.

message 2: by Mia (new) - added it

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments I'm reading this on my Kindle - at 58% - and am really enjoying it. It's simple enough, but I'm enjoying following Eilis to America.

message 3: by Mia (new) - added it

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Okay, I finished it. I almost didn't know I finished it because it didn't necessarily gratify me. It left me thinking...I liked the way it depicted Eilis's ambivalence, although I'm not sure how satisyfing it was...although it NOT being satisfying was, in a weird way, more satisfying. If that makes any sense. Anyway, waiting for others to read it so we can discuss!

Kai Hunter | 192 comments Finished. This one started out very slowly for me. I had trouble getting over the feeling that Eilis was actively trying to avoid friendship and connections through the first two parts of the book. I enjoyed the smooth writing style and found myself drawn into the story the more I read. I too wanted more at the ending. I wanted to see how she reconciled with Tony. I was also a little put off by the swimsuit molestation session. most of all I found it easy to read a story about a woman who just let things happen to her almost without taking an active role in her life. Is this the norm for women in the 1950s?

Joanne B | 10 comments The comments on Brooklyn intrigued me to download the book on my Kindle. Will give my feedback when done. Thank you all for sharing.

message 6: by Mia (new) - added it

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Joanne wrote: "The comments on Brooklyn intrigued me to download the book on my Kindle. Will give my feedback when done. Thank you all for sharing."

Joanne, I'm curious to hear what you think of it! It is not exactly action-packed, but it's a great character study and I enjoyed the simplicity of it. I also liked the way he underscored the pull between family/old life and new prospects. I'm actually going to try more of his books! Happy reading!

Kai Hunter | 192 comments Hi Joanne! I'm looking forward to reading your review/opinion. On Monday I'm picking up Toibin's Mothers and Sons from the library. I was scanning some of his other books and saw that he wrote at least one historical gay romantic piece. of course my library system doesn't carry it, but if I like Mothers and Sons as much as I liked Brooklyn I may be visiting Amazon.

Joanne B | 10 comments Mia wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The comments on Brooklyn intrigued me to download the book on my Kindle. Will give my feedback when done. Thank you all for sharing."

Joanne, I'm curious to hear what you think of i..."

When I finished the book, I sat quietly for a long period of time thinking about Eilis. The strength it must have taken to leave Ireland, her family and friends to come to New York. A quiet paced written novel that I felt was a simple story, that really was not. So much going on with emotions, decisions, and the era in life that was not so fast paced and complicated as today. My only complaint was the end, but then again, I think I just did not want the book to end. So glad that I have been introduced to this author. Excellent! Will continue to read more from Colm Toibin

Joanne B | 10 comments Kai wrote: "Hi Joanne! I'm looking forward to reading your review/opinion. On Monday I'm picking up Toibin's Mothers and Sons from the library. I was scanning some of his other books and saw that he wrote at ..."

Loved loved loved it. Very well written.

message 10: by Mia (new) - added it

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Joanne wrote: "Mia wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The comments on Brooklyn intrigued me to download the book on my Kindle. Will give my feedback when done. Thank you all for sharing."

Joanne, I'm curious to hear what yo..."

Yes - the end...I actually did want more - the next chapter - but I guews I appreciate that he didn't indulge us and left us to sort it out in our own heads. It's nice when the author trusts the reader and doesn't have to wrap it up all nicely with a bow.