Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Recommendations, please... > Need a new book!!! Anything will do in any genre

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 6 comments Guys I need to read a new book. I find I'm reading books from the same genre a lot and I want to read as much as I can but I don't know how to choose so if people can help, will be greatly appreciated.
Warning : I might want new books a lot so this request will come up a lot since I read a book everyday

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic Tai-Pan by James Clavell (Historical Fiction)
Three Roads to the Alamo by William O. Davis (Historical Fiction)
The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (Fantasy)
Lord of the Flies - by William Golding (Science Fiction)
Forest Gump by Winston Groom (Literary Fiction)
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (Science Fiction)
Aztec by Gary Jennings (Epic Historical Fiction)
The Stand by Stephen King (Fantasy)
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (Literary Fiction)
Dust by Charles Pellegrino (Science Fiction)
The Godfather by Mario Puzo (Literary Fiction)
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (Literary Fiction)
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (Literary Fiction)

message 3: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Gayatri,

It would help if you listed what type of books you're not interested in.

To relax myself, I read my collection by Dr. Seuss.
For a good thriller, I always think about: Intensity by Dean Koontz. (One of my favorites) but I don't know if you're interested in that.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Here's a few to give you some ideas.
Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover A Corner of White (The Colours of Madeleine, #1) by Jaclyn Moriarty The Help by Kathryn Stockett

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 238 comments It depends what floats your boat. A few of my recommendations are:
The Farm - finished last night and thought it was very good.
The Horse Whisperer - one of my favourite books of all time. You don't even necessarily need to like horses as it's more about exploring relationships when people are at their most vulnerable.
Cujo - Stephen King is always a good read. This book actually made me feel a bit teary!
The Amityville Horror - good if you like a bit of tension
Unsticky - something a bit more fun.
Northern Lights - If you're American it'll be The Golden Compass. Brilliant, brilliant book (IMO)

message 6: by Freight (new)

Freight Books (freightbooks) | 9 comments A House Called Askival by Merryn Glover.

description

It's not philosophical on the surface, but it deals with the themes of guilt and family, and how people become the people they become, and viewing people through different perspectives and through time. I can't recommend it highly enough, not enough people know about it.
It's about a woman who returns to India after 24 years, to a home she grew up in as a missionary's daughter. It flips between that and the perspective of her missionary dad, and his own childhood, so there's a good spectrum of post-Partition India in there too that is supposedly very accurate (the author lived there herself in similar circumstances). Also, it's very readable - the thought-provokingness kind of takes you by surprise, it's not heavy handed. I enjoyed it so much.

It's currently on kindle promo and there are discounts from the publisher on bulk orders from book groups, should you be interested.

message 7: by Ashley (JaffaCaffa) (last edited May 21, 2015 05:48AM) (new)

Ashley (JaffaCaffa) (jaffacaffa) | 2 comments Here are some of my favourites (the first one is an autobiography the rest are fantasy-esque):
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls Bird Box by Josh Malerman Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Pang (michaelpang) | 4 comments You should checkout the Dresden Files Series! Best book series ever!

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli | 397 comments Let's see

Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series and her League series. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.

Those are a few I can think of off the top of my head that have a lot of books in them.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  Moore one of the more recent books I read was The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow. I really enjoyed reading the book also The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender is another great book. Both are magical realism

message 11: by Freight (new)

Freight Books (freightbooks) | 9 comments Ex-footballer turned author Arild Stavrum's crime fiction novel Exposed at the Back exposes corruption within the beautiful game.

"Finally, a football crime book!" - Jo Nesbo

“What setting could be more apt for crime, corruption and cover-up than multi-billion pound world of modern football?” - Doug Johnstone

“The agents, the fixers, the people who contribute nothing to football and leech money out — don’t like me,” says author Arild Stavrum. "I wanted to highlight the crimes which are being committed in the sport. Football is a beautiful game, and I hate people who steal from it. It’s true, I do focus on dark areas of the game — but they do exist, believe me.”

Norway's most powerful soccer agent, the charismatic and ruthless Arild Golden, is found brutally murdered. Rumors circulate about infidelity and secret deals, about billions that cannot be traced and stories about talented African players who are dumped without papers when they fail to make the grade in the professional game. The lawyer Steinar Brunsvik, a former player for Ajax and the Norwegian national team, as asked to represent murder suspect Taribo Shorunmo. Shorunmo is a former pro soccer player living in Norway without a visa. Brunsvik discovers that his own soccer career has a connection to Golden's murder and realizes he caught in the middle of a dirty game that could prove fatal.

description

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NLEVFTM...

message 12: by NewInBooks (new)

NewInBooks | 12 comments We pick out books weekly and send you suggestions based on your preferences! Check us out: http://goo.gl/CzOqK4

message 13: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 26 comments I just looked at your read list and it seems like we have a lot of the same taste in books. So if you look at my read books you might find some books you like. Anything by Veronica Blade, Jennifer L. Armentrout, or R.L. Mathewson is always good. Here are some more I recommend:

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire Destiny's Detour by Mari Brown Lovely Vicious (Lovely Vicious, #1) by Sara Wolf Captured (The Captive, #1) by Erica Stevens Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves, #1) by Quinn Loftis Bound (The Crystor, #1) by C.K. Bryant Fallen Too Far (Too Far, #1) by Abbi Glines Maybe Someday (Maybe, #1) by Colleen Hoover Bully (Fall Away, #1) by Penelope Douglas Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1) by Kristen Ashley

I hope this helps and you find something you like! Happy Reading!

message 14: by Dewi (new)

Dewi (dewi_br) The Rosie Project

Absolutely loved this book.

message 15: by Keep Calm (new)

Keep Calm Novel On (keepcalmandnovelon) Debut young adult paranormal romance.
Firefly: Ice Born by PM Pevato
I could not put it down.
Truly original and a great read.
Highly recommend.

message 16: by Constance (new)

Constance Brooke Tran (cbtran) | 1 comments The throne of a glass series!! Love it! It has a strong female lead character and lots of magic and romance!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, definitely Throne of Glass!

message 18: by Victoria (last edited Jun 25, 2015 03:47PM) (new)

Victoria | 113 comments I recommend these:

Something Real (Something Real, #1) by Heather Demetrios Lipstick Apology by Jennifer Jabaley Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Reboot (Reboot, #1) by Amy Tintera

What genre are you reading too much of?