What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy, possibly group of mercenaries, mixed race or cultures [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen | 8 comments I read a sample of this book on Amazon, and can't find it again. It was probably published in the last five years, so between 2010 and 2015, it is a fantasy, main character is female. The world is medieval, with different classes (nobility/commoner, etc) but it seemed like women were more or less equal to men. The main character was the leader of band of mercenaries, for lack of a better description, maybe more like musketeer-type soldiers. The book opens with the leader doing the bookkeeping/paperwork for the group, and eating a treat-possibly chocolate. One of the other characters is snitching some of the treat. A stranger comes to the house, a man from a noble family, and he is joining them sort of like an intern, or he's doing a study of their type of group or something. He stays for dinner, and there is a scene of description of the other members of the group. I only remember a few, one is a couple possibly, thought there is some doubt in the mind of the MC about whether they are father/daughter or a couple because there is an age difference, but she doesn't pry because they are good members of the troop. Another character is the "huge berserker" guy, seems like he may be of a different race or culture than the MC, possibly has blue skin? There is discussion about one of the guys going to the village, possibly being late returning, and thought by the MC that the guy wouldn't cause trouble on purpose. They all leave on a mission after loading up supply wagons with jokes being made about bringing too much stuff, and the wagonmaster guy being particular about how the load is balanced. They have a special person who is a pathfinder(?), which is a special skill/magic power, and they ca travel great distances in a short amount of time by using special paths only he can access. They are described as being like rocks, stepping stones, that you have to stay on or maybe bad things happen? Their pack/wagon animals are more like camels than horses. That was about where the sample ended, sorry I don't have more details. Help me,Obi-wan! You're my only hope

message 2: by Avaminn (new)

Avaminn F'nett (dawnflower8) | 39 comments Could it be any sort of Forgotten Realms book?

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 8 comments Avaminn wrote: "Could it be any sort of Forgotten Realms book?"

I'm not familiar with those, I'll have to check it out! Are they written by RA Salvatore?

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 8 comments Avaminn wrote: "Could it be any sort of Forgotten Realms book?"

Don't think so based on their descriptions. Thanks for the suggestion though!

message 5: by Aerulan (last edited May 12, 2015 09:08PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1180 comments How long ago did you read the sample and did you send it to any device or just read it on Amazon's book page? If it was within the last 6-8 months-ish (I think, I forget when exactly) you might be able to find it in your amazon archives, they've started saving any sample you send to a device.

You might also check the listopias for books similar to the one you're looking for like The Deed of Paksenarrion or Ash: A Secret History and see if your book could be on one of them.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen | 8 comments Aerulan wrote: "How long ago did you read the sample and did you send it to any device or just read it on Amazon's book page? If it was within the last 6-8 months-ish (I think, I forget when exactly) you might be ..."

I didn't send it to a device, I just read it on the Amazon site. It was in the last six months to a year though. I know it's not the Paksenarrion books, because I read and loved them! I'll check out "Ash" and see if that is the one. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 8 comments Bump
And Ash is not the book... I wish that Amazon would let you truly browse the history of books you have looked at!

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32073 comments Mod
Here is Amazon.com's link for viewing your browsing history - https://www.amazon.com/gp/history?ie=...

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 8 comments I followed the link you sent, unfortunately it doesn't actually show my history, it shows one book I did look at and then a bunch of other ones they think I might be interested in. But I appreciate the tip!

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32073 comments Mod
You're welcome. Perhaps your browser is set to clear cookies when it closes, which will clear your Amazon browsing history.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen | 8 comments I can't believe it, I actually found this again! It is the Deepwoods Saga, book one, by Honor Raconteur. Weirdly, I found it because Amazon sent me an email recommending it for me. Yay, solved!! Now, how do I go about marking it as solved in the thread?

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments Deepwoods for the link.