Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Since our theme this month is post-apocalyptic, post your thoughts about literature in this area, movies, etc! Mad Max movie reviews without spoilers? ALL OF IT!

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (katie_jones) | 348 comments I initially didn't want to see Mad Max, because the preview made it look like just a high-octane action flick with lots of explosions, violence, and scantily-clad women.....but after seeing the reviews of people that I respect, I went to go see it with my husband and was VERY pleasantly surprised. It had all of those action components, but the violence wasn't glorified, or even gory for that matter, the women had agency, personality, and were kick-ass without over-compensating....this movie was actually pretty great!

message 3: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments I agree. I was surprised how much Max was almost an extra in the film. Sure, he was in every important scene, but the movie didn't revolve around him. He was along for the ride just like we were and with one exception, didn't really change the course of the plot that much.

Side note. I love all the "boycot Mad Max" talk. Some men seem to think they were tricked into seeing a guy film and ended up seeing--quote--"feminist propaganda."

*casts a spell*

May those who think Mad Max had a secret feminist agenda hear "Let It Go" from Frozen over and over and over again...

Hahahhahahhaaa!

message 4: by Bree (new)

Bree (breeshan) | 27 comments I love Tom Hardy as Mad Max!! He is so cute:) The movie was fun to watch!!
Are people calling this a feminist movie because it didn't solely revolve around Max? I will admit that Furiosa was a main character too!! Is it because she helped some girls escape from a controlling, horrid man? If anything, I think Charlize is paving the way for a Wonder Woman movie.
I've always liked the first three Mad Max movies anyway. Real stunts.

message 5: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments Bree wrote: "Are people calling this a feminist movie because it didn't solely revolve around Max?"

Nope. The usual 1950s mindset complaints. Men's Rights Activists don't like strong female leads.

Take some anti-nausea meds and read about it here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/...

message 6: by Bree (new)

Bree (breeshan) | 27 comments Ok. Nausea pills ready. I read it, and I still support this movie:) The men in the movie were crazy, but very masculine, and most were just awful. I liked Warboy. Charlize looked great with a buzz cut, and she is still beautiful. Charlize, Furiosa, even had some feelings for Max... which was sweet. Mad Max did help the females at the end. (view spoiler)
I know several men who loved this film as well.
In Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Tina Turner played a big role in the film. She was Queen of Barter Town. Very cool lady.

message 7: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordan_lusink) Oh, Tom Hardy. I like your face.

I love that it's feminist propaganda because the plot happens to revolve around women escaping from being captives in a situation where they are basically baby farms. You really couldn't handle not having another male-centered movie? Aka another movie? Ugh. Shut your stupid faces, MRAs. Mad Max is still in every scene in the movie, he's still just as ass-kicking, still a man of few words. I just can't even with these fools.

It reminded me of this thing on Upworthy that I JUST read about Tom Hardy, and his response to questions about the ladies and Max Max being a "man's movie." I didn't think I could find him more attractive. I was wrong. http://www.upworthy.com/for-years-act... I especially like how Charlize Theron was like, "Good for you," and Tom Hardy was like, "Don't pat me on the back for being a basic decent human being. It's kind of obvious."

I really liked the movie. I thought the action was well done. Fast-paced, artfully shot, I appreciated seeing color when most post-apocalyptic movies are very pallid. I cringed when we thought (view spoiler) Furiosa was so bad-ass, and a great foil for Max. I LOVED the score. Also, as a girl who grew up with a mechanic dad and attending vintage car shows, I was excited to see that 30s Coupe, and the Beetle. Plus, the suicide doors. Man, I loved seeing those on cars when I was a kid. I thought they were so freaking cool.

In the event of an apocalypse (probably zombie, let's be honest), I live in the Seattle area, I can drive a stick shift and have mad hand-sewing skills. Just in case anyone's looking to put together some post-apocalypse survival teams...

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I had no interest in seeing this film. I like a good action movie, but I'd never seen the other Mad Max movies, they never appealed to me. When I read that MRAs were calling for a boycott, I was then obligated to support the movie. However, I'm one of those movie-goers who is hesitant to shell out the money to sit through a mediocre film.

What finally got me in the theater was reading that George Miller had called in Eve Ensler (Vagina Monologues and V-Day) as a consultant. I dragged my partner (he was also indifferent to Mad Max), and we both loved it. We've seen it twice now and I'm recommending it to everyone I know. It's a well crafted, high octane action film that happens to address inequality (between men vs. women or poor vs. the well-off) and questioning of authority/quasi-religious figures, all the while providing amazing intense action sequences. It has set a very hight bar for action films from here on out.

Oh, and the soundtrack also rocks.

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Gauld | 8 comments On my way to see it right now and way more excited after reading all this.

message 10: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanniesaurus) I loved Mad Max. The characters feel fully formed. The world felt so much bigger than we see. They break expectations without feeling like they wre trying to. It all makes sense.

I went and saw Jurassic World last night. I had fun, but left the theater thinking I wanted to watch Mad Max again.

message 11: by Moarbooxpls (new)

Moarbooxpls | 18 comments If movie makers want my money, they should pay MRAs to whine about them. It would take me awhile to catch on and stop throwing money at them.