Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > The Flipside: What Readers Think That IS True

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Okay, so Dwayne has asked us all to tell something that readers may think about us after reading our books that isn't true, so I'm going to go in the opposite direction:

What is something about yourself that should become fairly obvious after someone reads your book?

For me, it's that I love the word ain't and ain't afraid to have otherwise intelligent characters pepper their language with poor grammar, slang, and vernacular.

Also, that I am not a very serious person and love terrible jokes.

How about you guys?

message 2: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments People might guess that revere the elderly, and believe that we as a society need to respect their wisdom far more. They might also notice that I've studied feminist theory.

message 3: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 148 comments From my short stories I've had several readers immediately accuse me of being an Aristotelian. They were pretty close to right.

Also that I've worked on a horse farm.

message 4: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Igzy wrote: "From my short stories I've had several readers immediately accuse me of being an Aristotelian. They were pretty close to right.

Also that I've worked on a horse farm."

Forgive someone not versed in Greek philosophy... what's an Aristotelian?

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments That I am a very open minded individual. :D

message 6: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Charles wrote: "That I am a very open minded individual. :D"

Charles, I think you and I are going to be very good friends.

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments My eyes are up here.

message 8: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Charles wrote: "My eyes are up here."

But you're wearing such awesome shoes!

message 9: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments I'm afraid to think about this...

message 10: by Charles (last edited Apr 28, 2015 07:57PM) (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments Do you have a dedicated map room to recreate naval battles with Owen?

:D

message 11: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 148 comments Jenycka wrote: "Forgive someone not versed in Greek philosophy... what's an Aristotelian? "

Aristotelian Ethics is a school of philosophy that claims that virtue is a practical and not theoretical subject, and that to be virtuous or good, you must perform virtuous or good actions,and not simply study them.

His hylomorphism claimed that form was not independent from substance, and that matter and form were dependent upon one another.

His political philosophy was that a self governing citizen in a system of leadership, aristocracy, and active participation by citizens was the highest form of life. That'd be where I differ from Aristotle (though a good number of our founding fathers were fond of the idea), in that I like the idea of the individual as a self governing, self and public interested entity with polity selected leadership is the best way to go about doing things.

Sorry for being vague! I tend to take some terms for granted given my horrible circle of friends. (They're really quite nice.)

message 12: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Charles wrote: "Do you have a dedicated map room to recreate naval battles with Owen? :D"

That should be true. But it's not.

I suspect people think I'm long-winded. That is true. : /

message 13: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments Thorough and meticulous explanations have their downside. :\

message 14: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Owen wrote:
I suspect people think I'm long-winded. That is true. : /"

That's a wonderful trait. But entirely because you have intelligent things to say. :)

message 15: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 148 comments Owen wrote: "Charles wrote: "Do you have a dedicated map room to recreate naval battles with Owen? :D"

That should be true. But it's not.

Long winded can be good when the answer is solicited. :-)

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments That I love baseball, but figuring out what team may be a challenge in the book I wrote.

message 17: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Jenycka wrote: "Owen wrote:

That's a wonderful trait. But entirely because you have intelligent things to say. :)"

You are too kind. (And that is probably something readers think about you that is true.)

Iqzy: yes, that is an important qualifier. : )

message 18: by Iffix (new)

Iffix Santaph | 324 comments I believe it's still okay to have imaginary friends as an adult. Every character in my story is someone I would have hung out with in real life.

message 19: by Micah (last edited Apr 29, 2015 07:23AM) (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Any speculation on my part about what fictitious readers of my work will think about me (right or wrong) would be mere projection of my own fears, guilt, and/or ego-stroking fantasies.

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Dammit, Micah, we're authors! We are ALLOWED to live in our own little fantasy worlds without risk of being sent to the looney bin!
:D

Right?

Guys?

Do I hear sirens?

message 21: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4310 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "What is something about yourself that should become fairly obvious after someone reads your book?"

Several things, maybe, depending on which one(s) are read:

1. I am from Iowa and love the Midwest.
2. I love music, especially rock and roll.
3. I am interested in religion, especially Christianity.

message 22: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4310 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "Do I hear sirens?"

Rassin' fassin'. I told them to leave the sirens off so you wouldn't be tipped off.

message 23: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Christina wrote: "Dammit, Micah, we're authors! We are ALLOWED to live in our own little fantasy worlds without risk..."

Fine, OK, then. My readers will rightly surmise that I'm as hot as Channing Tatum, as intelligent as Stephen Hawking, as cuttingly witty as Jon Stewart, as charming as Johnny Depp, as innovative as Steve Jobs...and as rich as the average grade school teacher.

[Of course here's where we insert the "what I think" vs "what's real" pictures: Channing Tatum on the left, George R.R. Martin on the right...he, he]

message 24: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Micah wrote:Fine, OK, then. My readers will rightly surmise that I'm as hot as Channing..."

Hahahaha
Anyways, what my readers will probably gather? I'm an immature man-child that refuses to grow up and smokes too much pot.

message 25: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Micah wrote: "My readers will rightly surmise that I'm as hot as Channing Tatum, as intelligent as Stephen Hawking..."

I first read this " as hot as Stephen Hawking" and didn't bat an eye. This is the internet after all.

message 26: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Micah wrote: "Any speculation on my part about what fictitious readers of my work will think about me (right or wrong) would be mere projection of my own fears, guilt, and/or ego-stroking fantasies."

Lessee here. Since what I write about are pretty much projections of my own fears, guilt, and/or ego-stroking fantasies, if those are conveyed properly then readers are actually getting an accurate impression of me, except to the extent I'm deluded, in which case... Uh oh, I think there's someone at the door--

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments At a guess... some might assume that I like to travel, which isn't exactly true. What is true is that, being a former military brat, I've traveled quite a bit in my life.

And it's possible that some readers will get the idea that I'm the kind of person who doesn't put up with any crap, which is true, in a way. I'm mostly introverted and I can't stand confrontation, but when backed into a corner, or should I feel like I'm being ganged up on, I will lash out... er, verbally, not physically. My family has even told me I'm quite scary when I'm angry, and this is something I will often include as a personality trait for some of my characters.

message 28: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Christina wrote: "I first read this " as hot as Stephen Hawking" and didn't bat an eye. This is the internet after all..."

Stephen Hawking? No. MC Hawking? Hell yeah!

message 29: by Denise (new)

Denise (mariesiduri) Hmmm.. Hard to say. My last short story was about a lapsed Catholic who saw tree spirits. I don't believe in any supernatural beings. Don't think that would come across.

message 30: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Herbel (k_c_herbel) | 118 comments I think I come across as imaginative and analytical.
I think my readers will also see how important I feel fathers are and that I believe loyalty, friendship, honor and patriotism should be highly prized virtues.

message 31: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Linder (haydendlinder) | 85 comments I think I come across as stoic and dignified?