Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

May 2015: Driven/Dead Winter > Questions/Comments for our June 2nd Hangout!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (last edited Apr 28, 2015 08:11PM) (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
This is the official discussion thread for our main pick for MAY, Driven By Eve Kenin! Our hangout is a week late due to host availability, just FYI! June 2nd!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ijDN...

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 14 comments I think there could be a good drinking game out of this book using the words masculine & Wizard.

message 3: by Anelle (new)

Anelle Ammons Laura wrote: "I think there could be a good drinking game out of this book using the words masculine & Wizard."

Or maybe the italicized random snarky thoughts she has in her own head?

message 4: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments I have a question about Driven. Did you know Charlie was going to end up in to tub at the end? I'm just so freaking sad. ( ; . ; )

message 5: by Taryn (new)

Taryn (taryngilliland) | 50 comments Laura wrote: "I think there could be a good drinking game out of this book using the words masculine & Wizard."

Naqahdahnellie wrote: "Or maybe the italicized random snarky thoughts she has in her own head?"

Or maybe every time she thinks Wizard is a useless gunrunner or assassin?

...We're going to be so wasted.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (dodgergirl99) | 39 comments Frakki wrote: "I have a question about Driven. Did you know Charlie was going to end up in to tub at the end? I'm just so freaking sad. ( ; . ; )"

WHY!?

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments As many criticisms as I do have about this book, I did like the fact that this setting was much different from anything we've ever read - I would have never picked up a trucker-based novel on my own.

My question: I know Wizard and Yuriko were raised by a computer, thus the odd speech patterns and information processing. However, they seem to have superhuman skills - super sharp vision, , quick healing, heightened hearing, and perfect memory/recall. However, not all of that is explained by "special blood" or their upbringing. Did I miss something, or did anyone else think that perhaps they're part cyborg?

message 8: by Anelle (new)

Anelle Ammons didn't they mention that they had genetic testing done to enhance them? I thought I read that.

message 9: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin (nemiqt) | 66 comments I liked this book, i think it have a good plot, it's an interesting world and I like the relationship between Raina and Wizard. I think it's fun and things keeps happening. And it gets you turned on which is what we like, isn't?

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments Which is a more ridiculous male interest name? Wizard or Criminy?

On a more serious note: Could you live as a nomad? And what would your rig require?

message 11: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Pinkham | 3 comments Driven is an incestuous fantasy of a woman falling in love with her masculine clone. Raina and Wizard are both orphans abused as children whose lives were both saved by the same man, who both want to kill the same mortal enemy, and who both feel guilty for failing to protect a young girl. Both have learned to trust no one, both compartmentalize all of their emotions, both drive trucks and snowmobiles, and both can kick most other people's asses. Both rattle through repetitive inner monologues chiding themselves for placing themselves in danger by trusting and falling for the other. Raina even has Wizard's blood in her veins and shares his genetic material. This novel is the story of long separated twins suffering from acute Genetic Sexual Attraction on rediscovering their perfect reflection, with whom they can experience limitless simultaneous orgasms and never slip and fall while acrobatically frigging in a soaped-up shower.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jeremy wrote: "Driven is an incestuous fantasy of a woman falling in love with her masculine clone. Raina and Wizard are both orphans abused as children whose lives were both saved by the same man, who both want..."

lol, yep pretty much sums it up!

message 13: by Janessa (new)

Janessa (labyrinth001) If you had to choose, what type of apocalyptic world would prefer to survive in? Arctic? Desert? Zombie? And what skill would you want to be best at for survival (you can't be good at everything like our book characters).

message 14: by Roseanne (last edited Jun 02, 2015 08:16AM) (new)

Roseanne Orr | 1 comments I don't think I've ever read a book with the word 'frig' in it. I'd be impressed at how often she manages to use it if it wasn't so annoying.

And I laughed so hard in the first sex scene where Wizard (I actually like the name) asks about fertility and Raina replies 'Not for nine more days... Thank God for modern science.'

Nine days?? Modern science? I'm pretty sure that the implant and coil etc were around well before this book was published. They can last for three or ten years, what kind of modern science goes backwards? It's good that they're conscious of STDs and pregnancy which is sometimes overlooked but I just couldn't get over that.

Not sure how I feel about this book, I read it right after binge reading a lot of Robin Hobb so I feel like whatever I read next would compare badly. I read it pretty quickly and have ordered the sequel. It's ok but probably not worth a reread - it had some good features but I found her weakness for orphans and her overuse of the word frig too frigging annoying.

message 15: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn No (jocelynno) | 34 comments It had a Mad Max vibe, which was awesome. But I have to say, I liked the concept a lot better than I liked the execution. The writing was very repetitive.

I'm really looking forward to the alt review this month, because I read the first in the Arcana series by Cole and really enjoyed it, but was worried that the sequels might not be as good.

message 16: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordan_lusink) What skills would you bring to the table as part of an apocalypse survival team?

message 17: by Gunnhildur (new)

Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir (grafarholt) | 173 comments What did you think if of the fact that Wizard had a way to make a clean infinite power source but didn't share it with the world?

message 18: by Shannon P. (new)

Shannon P. | 9 comments Did anyone else think the 250 Club thing was really random considering they were still in the process of mourning their dead after the battle?

message 19: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Pinkham | 3 comments EvelynSabine wrote: "Did anyone else think the 250 Club thing was really random considering they were still in the process of mourning their dead after the battle?"

I thought it was going to be a setup for a scene in which she had to survive extreme cold, given the way her Wizard genes work is that her body learns how to handle damage after she's been exposed to it (as in her dad hitting her). But no, that didn't really happen.

message 20: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Just catching up on the hangout... I think the thing that has been bugging me about the rape trope in fiction is that about 1/4 of women and 1/6 men are raped or sexually assaulted in their lifetimes and very few of them end up as vengeful furies. And very few of them get rescued. Is it wish-fulfilment that drives it?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Tropocalypse - sorry already been done really well
Dead Tropics

message 22: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Shemwell (shemmyshake) | 11 comments I really enjoyed the apocalyptic setting in Driven. Post-apocalyptic doesn't seem to be huge in the romance community (or at least not from what I've seen). Gritty, yet a bit of romance. Does anyone have any other recommendations for this genre?