Books on the Nightstand discussion

Where to start with Terry Brooks?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 32 comments Any suggestions on where to start with reading Terry Brooks? I am interested in reading one of his novels after listening to him on a TED talk. I only occasionally read from the fantasy genre. He has written so many different series- I'm not sure where to start.
Maggie

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I read The Sword of Shannara when I was a teenager. It was pretty good, but very derivative of Tolkien.

I recommend Tolkien himself, Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun or George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. All great, but all different.

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
My son is trying to get me to read Patrick Rothfuss. I probably will do so very soon.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 187 comments Eric wrote: "My son is trying to get me to read Patrick Rothfuss. I probably will do so very soon."

For some reason I am very surprised that you haven't read Patrick Rothfuss. It's wonderful stuff.

message 5: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments I tried listening to the first book twice and for some reason I cant get interested.

message 6: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments I tried listening to the first book twice and for some reason I cant get interested.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
I never tried reading the Shannara books, but liked the first few in his Magic Kingdom for Sale series.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Weiss I've read most of the Shannara books - I think the place to start is where he started - with Sword of Shannara. If that doesn't end up being your cup of tea - try the Magic Kingdom of Landover series; it's set in a different universe.

message 9: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 818 comments One of my first books was The Sword of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #1) by Terry Brooks but the spine broke and it was torn in half(maybe the sword did it). I might download to finally read it. The book had this wonderful cover.

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Young | 2 comments I recently decided to read one of his novels as well and my local library only had the Dark Legacy of Shannara trilogy available on audio, so I went with that. Just finished the first book over the weekend and had no problem tracking characters or storylines from the prior series. I enjoyed it well enough that I downloaded the second. I will warn you that it is a true trilogy - the story does not end with book one. Don't know if you are looking to commit to three books, so that may be a consideration.

message 11: by John (new)

John Tankersley | 11 comments I remember reading the Sword of Shannara as a kid, too. I also read several after that. I think the first one (Sword) was good, but goes on a bit longer than it needs to. The subsequent books seemed like a pleasurable rehash--more of the same. I probably wouldn't go back to it as an adult.

I've seen Patrick Rothfuss on Acquisitions, Inc (a deep nerd reference there) and need to read a book of his! Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a recommendation on where to start with him?

message 12: by Dawn (last edited May 11, 2015 06:00AM) (new)

Dawn | 187 comments John wrote: "I remember reading the Sword of Shannara as a kid, too. I also read several after that. I think the first one (Sword) was good, but goes on a bit longer than it needs to. The subsequent books seeme..."

The Name of the Wind! It will break your foot if you drop it, but I couldn't put it down once I started.

message 13: by John (new)

John Tankersley | 11 comments Thanks, Dawn!