FoCo Readers discussion

Book Club > Far from Madding Crowd

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane | 49 comments I am sad that I will probably be out of town for our club mtg on this book. I LOVED it. I am glad I had no idea what it was about, unlike Hardy's other books Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Jude the Obscure, or other well-known books like Jane Eyre. I just also read George Eliot's Adam Bede, also a romance of country people. I am now hungering to binge on more Pastoral English Victorian Romance novels. Suggestions welcome!

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethany_rainbow) | 140 comments Mod
Jane, when do you get back into town? The lyric will be getting the movie the 15th so maybe we'll push it (yet again!) to May 20th so we can see the movie and have a discussion during the same night.

Thoughts anyone? Who else would be coming to the movie/discussion?

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria (missmia277) | 39 comments I could use a another week to finish the book. I've been focusing on finals and will doing so until the end of next week. I would love to participate in this one because I haven't read a book like this in a really long time.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 14 comments I vote for waiting until (at least) the 20th, and would love to see the movie.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane | 49 comments I also vote to wait to see the movie. I will be out of town 1 week, til about May 19th.

message 6: by Evan (new)

Evan | 118 comments I could use more reading time too, and it will be nice to be able to see the movie as well. The 20th sounds like a good plan.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Looks like the Lyric isn't getting it until May 29th now. So we'll probably plan for a movie trip/discussion the first week of June. Plenty of time for us procrastinators to finish the book. :)

message 8: by Beth (new)

Movie times are at the Lyric! How does Wednesday 5/27, at 6:15 sound? We can have a short discussion after if you guys want to stick around. I'll send out an email this weekend as a reminder too.

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane | 49 comments Sounds good to me. My daugther Claire is reading the book too and may want to come.

message 10: by Evan (new)

Evan | 118 comments Will you just have the discussion at the Lyric after the movie on the 27th? I wouldn't be able to make it for the movie, but I can come meet you for the discussion.

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria (missmia277) | 39 comments I'll be there!

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria (missmia277) | 39 comments Paul says he's coming too even though he hasn't read the book. =)

message 13: by Beth (new)

Awesome! See you both there!

Beth