MTBoS Book Group! discussion

Anyone want to read the same book with me this summer?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sameer (new)

Sameer Shah | 9 comments Mod
I'm thinking it might be fun if we all read the same book during a two week period this summer, and chat about it on here? (I've never used Goodreads for this, so it might flop... but maybe it will be fun?)

I have tons of books I'm hankering to read. But I suspect we might all have different interests...

So throw down some ideas for books if you have any? And maybe we can have a poll if there are too many to decide among?

One book that piques my interest, so I'll throw it down as an option, in this new one:

Birth of a Theorem (Cedric Villany)
Birth of a Theorem: A Mathematical Adventure

Always,
Sam

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments Sounds like a great idea! I'm up for whatever. :-)

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Henderson | 1 comments I'm up for anything too. I've had Jordan Ellenberg's how not to be wrong on my list for a long time.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Hannon | 1 comments I'd also like to read "How not to be wrong". It's been sitting on my bookshelf just waiting...

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Menard | 1 comments Just tell me what to read, and I'll start reading..after June 26, that is.

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg C | 1 comments Sounds like fun to me! (Nothing too dense, though...it is summer!) I really liked how not to be wrong and would read it again.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael | 3 comments I'd love to read a good biography of a mathematician. I'm in a biography sort of mood.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments I am in. Mindset is on my night stand. Meg's recommendation is enticing.

message 9: by Sameer (new)

Awesome everyone! Keep on throwing down suggestions, or things you're in the mood for!

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments So...now it's summer. Are we reading together or no?

message 11: by Sameer (last edited Jul 02, 2015 10:17AM) (new)

Indeed it is! Happy summer! How to come to consensus?!?!

It sounds like there are some people who want to read "How Not To Be Wrong," and I think it's a fantastic book.

Michael said he wants to read a biography, and the book I suggested (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...) sounds like it is more like that ("It doesn’t simplify or overexplain; rather, it invites readers into collaboration. Villani’s diaries, emails, and musings enmesh you in the process of discovery. You join him in unproductive lulls and late-night breakthroughs. You’re privy to the dining-hall conversations at the world’s greatest research institutions.")

So why don't we have two books - and people choose one to read based on their preference?

How Not To Be Wrong: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Birth Of A Theorem: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

If this sounds good to people, then let me know! Once this is set, I can let others on twitter know this is the plan if anyone else wants to join in too!

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments ...I should've picked up "how not to be wrong" in London when I saw it. The UK subtitle is better than the U.S. one...

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael | 3 comments I'm cool with either book.

Yo I just finished "Life After Life" and that's one hell of a book.

message 14: by Sameer (new)

Oooh, I read that too!!! We're the same person!

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael | 3 comments Any recommendations for my next novel? This is what's on my shelf.

* Angle of Repose (100 pages in, put it down a few months ago)
* Summer in Williamsburg
* Invisible Man (Ellison not Wells)
* Everything is Illuminated

message 16: by Sameer (new)

I read the Ellison book decades ago, but LOVED it. I definitely would recommend that - if I didn't have so many books to read, I would reread it! Never read the other three.

message 17: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Balzano | 1 comments Hi people - I just joined, and my vote would definitely be for How Not to Be Wrong. I am just starting up on it now.

I'm curious though; how is it that nearly all the members of this group joined at the end of April, and have been relatively silent since then? I hope some enthusiasm for reading can be drummed up ... looking forward ...

JerryB

message 18: by Sameer (new)

JerryB wrote: "Hi people - I just joined, and my vote would definitely be for How Not to Be Wrong. I am just starting up on it now.

I'm curious though; how is it that nearly all the members of th..."

We randomly had the idea for a summer read in April, so we made the group. And now it's summer!