Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Les Misérables
This topic is about Les Misérables
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Hugo, Victor - Les Misérables - Informal Buddy Read; Starts June 2, 2015

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Book Synopsis:
Introducing one of the most famous characters in literature, Jean Valjean - the noble peasant imprisoned for stealing a loaf of bread. In Les Misérables Victor Hugo takes readers deep into the Parisian underworld, immerses them in a battle between good and evil, and carries them onto the barricades during the uprising of 1832.

Within his dramatic story are themes that capture the intellect and the emotions: crime and punishment, the relentless persecution of Valjean by Inspector Javert, the desperation of the prostitute Fantine, the amorality of the rogue Thénardier and the universal desire to escape the prisons of our own minds. Les Misérables gave Victor Hugo a canvas upon which he portrayed his criticism of the French political and judicial systems, but the portrait which resulted is larger than life, epic in scope - an extravagant spectacle that dazzles the senses even as it touches the heart.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 4: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah (dontakemetochurch) Ah, thank you!

Justin (rockstarintraining) One of the best books of all time. I wish I had time to re-read this.

message 6: by Ash (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ash | 2 comments I would love to read this again, such a classic. If others who join this buddy read do not mind me being a little slow. As usual, I am trying to read too much at one time.

message 7: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah (dontakemetochurch) Ash wrote: "I would love to read this again, such a classic. If others who join this buddy read do not mind me being a little slow. As usual, I am trying to read too much at one time."

I do not mind at all, I'm trying to finish A Storm of Swords as well as keeping up with schoolwork.

message 8: by Ash (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ash | 2 comments Thanks Hannah. Good luck with school.

message 9: by Zoey Wyn (new)

Zoey Wyn (bookwormalhs) | 3 comments This looks great. I want to join.

message 10: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger  (vedica) | 210 comments I know the start date has already passed but is there a reading plan for this one? :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely let myself forget this read. I promise I'll start soon! :(

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Les Misérables (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Victor Hugo (other topics)