2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Breaking Silence > Question #5

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Adam Slabaugh comes across as very angry at the Amish in general and his family in particular. What did you think of his character? Was he justified in his feelings?

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments That's a tough one to answer. I am not sure whether Castillo told us what his infractions were that caused his excommunication from the Amish faith community.

I think his anger was a reflection of his hurt at being separated from his brothers and his niece and nephews. I know I did have questions about his ability to take care of the children toward the end of the book still, but no spoilers why....

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, she did. He was excommunicated for marrying an English woman. She later died in a car accident. I thought it was really sad that he gave up the life he had always known for love and then he lost his family and his wife.

I thought Adam was really belligerent and many of his comments seemed out of place like his suggestion that Solly, Abel and Rachael got what they deserved and god was"evening the score". There was just something off about him.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Charlene wrote: " but no spoilers why.... "

Don't worry about spoiling anything in the book discussion. The assumption is that those who read the posts have already finished the book :0)

message 5: by Charlene (last edited Jun 13, 2015 09:53AM) (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Lauren wrote: "Charlene wrote: " but no spoilers why.... "

Don't worry about spoiling anything in the book discussion. The assumption is that those who read the posts have already finished the book :0)"

Oh, I completely forgot about his marriage. Boy, the Swiss Cheese memory is striking me again.

I agree with you that his comments were over-the-top bitter and not so much from grief, or at least it I got that impression. My concern about his ability to work with the children was that he was present in the room when Salome was pulling the wool over all the guys' eyes. I worried that the little boys would begin to experience some awful accidents or something under his care, if Salome had been in his home.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, Adam was as snowed by Salome as everyone else. I'm sure that if Kate hadn't gotten her to "confess" so to speak, the boys would have definitely had an "accident".

One thing that I'm not sure was finalized in the book was whether Adam would get custody of Samuel and Ike. I assumed he would because he is a blood relative, but then Kate mentioned something about Salome's baby being adopted and I wondered why Adam wouldn't be given custody of the baby as well.

message 7: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I don't know about laws in such instances. I think adoption and custody might be two different things.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Charlene wrote: "I don't know about laws in such instances. I think adoption and custody might be two different things."

Yes, but why would the baby be put up for adoption if there were a blood relative to take it. Unless its because Adam is unmarried and couldn't care for an infant?

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
I understood his bitterness. For all the religious doctrine of the Amish, they can be quite unforgiving. To be excommunicated for marrying outside the faith is a bit harsh. And, it's one thing to be excommunicated but when your family also turns its back on you, it can be almost unbearable.

I thought Adam had mixed feelings. He loved his family, especially those kids, but you could tell he resented his brother for telling him he was no longer welcome in his home.

At times, Adam sent mixed messages but I thought I understood his heart. He really wanted those children, possibly to provide an alternative influence.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, extremist religions can be very harsh and unforgiving. The whole concept of shunning is terrible. In some ways, it is much worse that violence as a punishment. Emotional hurts don't heal as well as physical ones.