2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Breaking Silence > Question #3

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Several times, Kate mentions the hate crimes against the Amish and the common excuses for them - they are uneducated, dirty, hold up traffic, etc. Why did Castillo feel the need to repeat this information?

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Most readers of her books (especially newcomers to her works) are not familiar with these communities or with the people who take pleasure in sick acts against them.

I happen to live near enough Amish farmers that buggies go past our house weekly, and I've also watched the Harrison Ford movie, "The Witness," where he is an undercover cop who is dressed as an Amish man.

[one of my favorite films, btw]

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments The Witness is an excellent film. In fact, prior to reading these books most of my knowledge of the Amish came from that movie.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Ditto about The Witness, one of my favorite movies.

I guess Castillo might feel that, unless you're around an Amish community, readers may not understand why some would target them, other than them just being vulnerable.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Good point, Jonetta. I felt that it was a definite criticism of the irrational hatred and prejudice that people have toward anything that is "other" or different from them.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
The Witness is a great movie!

I totally agree with you, Jonetta.