2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Breaking Silence > Question #2

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments What did you think of the Amish community's unwillingness to cooperate with the "Englishers" to find those who are responsible for the attacks on them?

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments It is difficult to believe that such peaceable communities think that they can take care of all problems that afflict them; on the other hand, I do respect the Amish and the fact that their history of being the butt of crimes against them predisposes them not to trust outsiders [Englischers, as Americans are called].

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments While I understood their desire to be left alone and remain separate, it also irritated me that they wouldn't do anything to stop those who were harming them - "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

In fact, it could be argued that the Amish who refused to help Kate are partially to blame for Ed Hartzler’s death.

message 4: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments Lauren wrote: "While I understood their desire to be left alone and remain separate, it also irritated me that they wouldn't do anything to stop those who were harming them - "The only thing necessary for the tri..."

I agree with you on this, too, Lauren. I found myself wanting to shake people at some times (figuratively, of course). This is a frustrating thing to read about and Kate's history and position would contribute to her being even more torn apart over these circumstances.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, it is very frustrating when the people you are trying to help won't accept it. I agree that it is probably harder for Kate as she belongs to both worlds.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
There's a difference between not fighting back and leaving those men to run amok and hurt others. Mistrust or not, I'm with you, Lauren, that maybe Ed Harzell would still be alive if they'd just cooperated.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I agree with you two - there way of letting things go were not helping them and Kate and shown them she is no one's side and could help.