South Shore Readers discussion

A Room with a View
This topic is about A Room with a View
Book Club > Discussion: A Room with a View

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 1105 comments Mod
Our May pick is the classic novel "A Room with a View" by E.M. Forster.

We will be meeting in person at a room with a view of Nantasket Beach. You can RSVP for the event here: https://www.goodreads.com/event/show/...

This book can fill the "classic romance' or other category if you are participating in our group challenge.

message 2: by Lynn (last edited Apr 27, 2015 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 131 comments Banned book for me, or author I haven't read.

Joanie | 492 comments Mod
I think it would also count as a love triangle

Just started. I think it's going to take some time to get into this.

I downloaded it to my phone over the weekend but haven't really started it yet. Hopefully today...

Lynn | 131 comments I agree. No quick read on this.

We picked it because we thought it would be nice and light after the Train in Winter but I guess light doesn't mean quick. Sigh

Denise (ribeachgirl) | 127 comments I thought it went very quickly after about page 50. Maybe it's because I read it back in high school. I'm still picturing Helena Bonham Carter and Julian Sands as Lucy and George. I hear their voices saying all of the dialogue.

I'm about a third of the way through now. I like it but it is definitely not something that I can just plow through.

And I've never seen the movie! I'll watch it once I've finished the book. :)

I'm past the halfway mark and it's still pretty dry. I saw parts of the movie back in high school but I definitely want to watch it again once I've finished the book (or if I just can't get through the book before Sunday!)

I'm about to start chapter 10. We will see how much more I can read during the rest of my commute. I think I should be able to finish by Sunday.

Does Paragon have a dedicated parking lot? I'm picturing it in my head and I believe that they do.

message 12: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 131 comments I forgot how dry of a novel it is. Plodding through so hopefully will be done too. A movie viewing is definitely appealing right now.

Yes, they have a parking lot. And cocktails and hotel rooms if we need to stay over. I like having a back up plan.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 132 comments YES!

According to kindle, I will be done with the book in less than 15 minutes. With only a chapter or 2 left, I'm happy to see that Lucy is starting to become her own person.

I need a cocktail, NOW!

Finished yesterday and I ended up liking the story but it felt like a struggle until I got to the last few chapters. I am definitely ready for a cocktail!

And the good news (for us) is that it is supposed to be rainy in the afternoon so maybe we won't have to battle the beach crowds to get to our room with a view.

message 18: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 131 comments Stuck in traffic. Should be there in 15.